1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW AA hulls.......no good for reloading anymore ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Question,.........I have heard some avid reloaders mention that the new AA hulls, red ones,once fired, are simply no good for reloading. True, or false ??!! And if true, why??........I have several thousand that I was hoping to reload, and now I'm not sure what to do with them.....Rob

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My buddy loads them on his 9000 mec with good results. I can't get the crimp to close properly on my loader so I load something else.

3. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I don't have any issues with my Spolar and new hulls, but now I prefer the STS's because they seem to be more durable than the new AA's. Just my experience. My suggestion is to try reloading them and if they work well for you, great, if not, people do buy them, although I've seen them go for less than the STS's these days.

4. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Are some reloaders more "user-friendly" with the red AA hulls than others??

5. The Stive

The Stive Member

I load them and the problems that I have are that they will crease after a while and I get a small hole in the crimp. The hole can made smaller with an
    adjustment. I would load them. John

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

My experience is similar to above. I had a lot of AA, and the very old ones were great, new ones so/so. I load them once and let them fly, and have changed to STS and Nitro. Basically same price, and the green and gold are clearly superior to AA now.

I would load once and enjoy them personally. I believe Mec is the preferred loader to use since it supports the base (and thus the base wad issue) better than the high end loaders. Still for load once and fly, any should work. Depending on vintage of AA, you might want to check for the base wad being loose, but my understanding is that was a few month issue fixed some time back. Still, if your collection of empties is dated, better safe than sorry.

7. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

I just loaded a flat of them.Once fired red AA's The hull material is very stiff compared to the other brands mentioned. The crimps worked fine on my mec press. One thing I did , was to place the hulls in a bucket and warm them with a hair dryer prior to loading them. Wife wasn't crazy about me using her blow dryer , but she shoots them too . The warm air makes them more pliable like the Rem's. Everything I've read says they don't load very many times and will start to split down the sides. I will load them again and toss.

8. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I have a MEC 9000H. The AA's reload fine. I had to lower my pre-crimp until you can just fit a primer (small end) in the hole and the crimps are great now. I have some STS's in the mix of things and qualitatively they always look nicer because they are shiny and pretty but quantitatively speaking, once I got my pre-crimp properly adjusted there are no differences in crimp quality. The AA's seem a bit stiffer but I get around 10-12 reloads/shell without issue.

Dan

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I have talked to a couple of people who load the new AA's and both of them said they actually modified their presses (9000G's) to get them to load correctly. The biggest defect in my press is the crushed hull down by the brass. The other is a crimp that isn't closed all the way. By that I mean one with a good sized hole in the center of it. I can load STS (includes gun Clubs), Gold Medal and Papers (And all other Federal and Estate type economy shells) Cheddites (includes Centurion, and Noble Sports)and old style AA's on my 9000G without adjusting anything on the press except for the appropriate wad and powder charge for the hull I am loading at the time. The new AA"s buckle half the time using the Claybuster CB1118 was designed for the AA hull. Why the hell would anyone want to mess with the new AA's?

JK

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Never a change on my MEC 9000G, old style or new AA. Use a claybuster wad.

Shot 200 shells this past Saturday and 100 on Sunday.

Also load the Remington value pack hulls without change.

11. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

OK--my 2 cents. I have a Spolar w/hydraulics, and a PW Platinum 2000.
    I have about 3000 old style AA's and 1000 of the new AA's. On the
    Spolar I load 1 1/8oz with the AA hulls. The PW is set for 7/8oz
    with the AA's.
    I see no difference with either hull on both loaders. Crimps are good
    on both old and new style. Life span is around 5 to 7 reloads with
    either hull, a few will split around the crimp at 4 reloads. On the
    pattern board all look the same. The 1 1/8oz are loaded to 1145fps
    and the 7/8oz to 1080. Hull life doesn't appear to change with either load.
    I mark the base of the hull with a felt tip pen so I'm very sure of my
    numbers. On a very small amount, I'll have a failure at 2 to 3 reloads.
    I've also had the old style go as much as 8 to 9 reloads before culling
    them out. Can't get that many out of the new style.
    On the pattern board I'll add one more statement and this applies
    to either hull. After 4 reloads, the patterns appear to open up
    more. Maybe about a choke size.
    For my singles load I use Rem STS, Nitro 27, and Gun Club hulls.
    These are loaded to 1180fps with 1oz of shot on the Spolar only.
    Hull life on the STS and 27's about the same as AA's. Maybe a slight
    advantage going to the green STS hull.
    Gun Clubs on the other hand don't last as long as the other hulls.
    Three to four reloads and they get culled out. On the pattern board I
    can't see any difference between the Rem hulls.
    I've heard of the base on the new AA's migrating up and causing
    problems. I've not had that happen.
    The results I've posted have only been in my experience. Maybe some
    of you with different loaders and components will experience something
    entirely different.
    I'm sure I'll get some flak from this, but thats what the forum is for!

Mike C.

Groveland, CA

12. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I also load on a MEC 9000 and have no problems switching between Remington's and AA's. I load mine three times and let them fly and have yet to have a problem. I do agree that the plastic is a bit stiffer but my loader doesn't have an issue with that.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I load AA's every week on a Dillon for years, and now a PW800+ electric drive. No issues with either. Except, the PW makes better crimps.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

AA's are fine. I have about 8-10,000 of them loaded up. Most of them on their 2nd or 3rd "journey".

I did have problems with the Claybuster 1 1/8 wads but used those wads in Remington hulls. I use the AA, Windjammer wads for 1 1/8 oz; Green-Duster and Downrange XL-1 wads for 1 oz.

If you do not want them, sell them.

Don Verna

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I can get at 6 reloads with the "new style" AA hull.
    I load them on a Mec 9000 and the crimps look like
    factory shell.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The ONLY problem with the new AA's is they are so pretty and shiny red they hurt my eyes in the bright sunlight.

17. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

I reload the new AA's on my RCBS Grand with no problems. Some of them have been reloaded up to 10 times. I once kept track of a box of gray handicap shells and ended reloading them 13 times.

For the most part I have been reloading STS shells because I won a significant number of flats of them.

Terry

18. steveziv

steveziv Member

I've had no problems with the occasion box I've loaded in addition to my usual Blue Magics. If anything they cycle through my 650 a little smoother.

The quality of any crimp is a function of not only the hull but the machine settings, the wad, the powder charge and the load weight. Any hull can yield nice looking reloads given the other variables are properly adjusted.

The real concern I've heard about the new HS hulls is that the non-integral base wad can come loose and get lodged in the barrel with potentially catastrophic results.

19. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have a couple thousand or so of the old AA compression formed red hulls, and a thousand or so of the old Silver Bullets. I also have several thousand Remington hulls, Nitros, STS and Gun Clubs.

All of these load perfectly on my Spolar Hydraulic or my Dillon without any change at all.

I use Spolar Gold, Claybuster's WAA12 clone, Downrange Figure 8 clones and Versalites to load 1 1/8 loads.

I sometimes load the new AAs as I have several flats of factory shells.

I find that all the wads sometimes "hang up" with the Spolar except the WAA12 clone. On the Dillon, once in a while, I get a wrinkled hull suggesting I should back off on the crimp die.

I don't find it worthwhile to make any changes in my machines just to load the new hulls as they tend to split after the first or second loading. Not all, but many.

The crimps on all the new AAs are "OK," but not as nice as the other hulls I mentioned.

I'm sure with minor adjustments they'd be just as good, but then I'd have to readjust to load the hulls I have the most of.

Bob

20. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I just reloaded 25 new AAs and 25 old AAs. They're practically identical. I can't tell the difference while loading them or shooting them (I hadn't been keeping them apart). I use a MEC Sizemaster. 7/8 ounce, 18 grains American Select, DRXXL pink wads and Win209 primers.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa hull failures from reloading

new aa reloading issues

why do sts hulls not crimp properly