1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New AA hull problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PODO, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PODO

PODO TS Member

I am having a problem locating some older threads that showed the difference between the old and new style AA hulls and how to tell the difference. TOM

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

From the exterior, the new AA hulls are a brighter red, shiny and slick. The old style is not bright red and the surface is not quite as slick. There is a clear difference if you can look at a new hull next to an old hull.

For me, the new style hulls work as well as the old style. Others do not like the new style of AA hulls.

Pat Ireland

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Look down inside the hulls.

The inner walls of the old one-piece hulls actually taper smoothly and increase in thickness from top to bottom.

The tube of the new two-piece hulls has no taper but there's an obvious reduction in inside diameter about ½" above the primer. That's the separate base wad.

MK

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

The new hulls are two piece. Look down the hull with a flashlight and you'll see the red or clear base inside. That lip causes problems if you use the wrong wad which gets caught on the lip going down. Claybuster wads now have a tapered bottom that lets it go by that lip. Almost too much trouble than it's worth but once you get it right, real easy. Dave T.

5. Hemlock

Hemlock Member

Same wad. Remington Figure 8. Same load. Same crimp setting. Same number of reloads.
    [​IMG]

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

Both cut open hulls in the photo are new style AAHS hulls of difference vintages.

The one on the left is one of the earlier AAHS hulls and the one on the right of newer manufacture.

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

That rough burnt type look can be found in factory once fired Old Style AA's, New Style AA's, Nitro's and STS's. That has nothing to do Hem's reloads. Has nothing to do with the reloadability of them. The blackened is from multiple reloads. I'll guess that they've been reloaded 6 or more times. And go out on a limb with Red Dot. Sort of look my old Red Dot loads. I don't like the "new" stlye AA's and don't deal with them. I'm lucky to have a huge stash of old style AA's and prefer an STS or Nitro over the new style AA's. Alot of shooters have made that switch.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The two right side shells are new style. Good luck if that what you're reloading. I opt to not have to adjust and readjust between old style and new style AA's to get quality reloads. Why they (Winchester) changed construction of them???????????? Costs/profits????????????? STS's and Nitros are better factory ammo in my opinion.

9. Hemlock

Hemlock Member

The cases in the photo have 4 reloads each. I never go more then 5. I load on a MEC. It is 18.2 of Clays, Remington primer, Remington Figure 8 wad, 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2. I use 1 oz loads in Remington cases for 16s and doubles.

When the new Winchester cases first came out, I saw one with the white base wad half way to the crimp sitting on a shelf at the Walla Walla Gun club. Don't know if it was a reload or factory fired or what. Over the years I must have tried to pull a 100 base wads out and never have been able to. I still don't trust them like the old ones. Why do I use them? My gun likes the load!

Ken

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Some of us will probably notice the new AA cases seem to have less capacity than the older ones. Less bulky powders like 700-X or Tight Group solve that problem!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.