1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New AA construction

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brent375hh, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

After dismantling both a Winchester Universal (as sold at Walmart) & a AA hull, the only difference I could find was that the AA was brass as opposed to steel and the plastic was a bit thicker. The base wad seemed the same. It took the same amout of effort (lots) to pull the base wad out.

Maybe I will try loading some of these.

2. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

Actually, the "brass" ain't been brass for years. If you don't believe me, try picking it up with a magnet - if it's brass, it won't be attracted to the magnet.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Cowboy1

I believe that brass is softer than steel, so it may have less effect on the chamber before and after firing. I don't think it makes much difference during the firing of the shell. Brass may be a little kinder to your loader when you resize them.

I've loaded many thousands of the New Style AA hulls and never encountered a loose basewad. I inspect every hull I load, thoroughly. I also toss them when they show the first signs of deterioration.

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Brent375hh: I've been loading them for years with no problems. The only annoying thing I have is certain wads get hung up on the base wad's lip. Downrange XL and B&P have this problem. Win AA wads do not. I usually have to unload the shot then with my finger lift the wad a little then push and spin the wad down past the lip. I hear a click most times then reload the shot. I've got 1000's of free new AA's from shooters who won't load them.
    Dave T.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brent- How did you get the base wads out? I have tried to do that in the past and couldn't find a way to pull them out.

Both brass and steel heads will expand when the shells are fired. But the brass is more resilient and will go back to nearly its beginning diameter. The steel heads do not contract much and require more resizing effort.

Charlie- The AA hulls I reload do have a brass head. Remember, you have to punch out the steel primer before you test them with a magnet. Now- if you have a really big magnet-- it will attract brass. Even light is attracted to a large magnet, but it has to be a really big one.

Pat Ireland

6. Charles.F.Phillips

Pat,

I was taught in school that magnets only attract ferrous metals, but Ajax's comment about the magnet attracting the primer is probably right on the money. That thought never occurred to me, though it obviously should have...

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

This got me interested enough that I cut open one of my newer AA hulls. I didn't find the white plastic spacer shown, mine looks like the bottom portion of the red AA hull goes right down to the brass base.
    Is there yet a newer AA?

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

12 ga AA-HS hulls from before 2006 or 2007 had a basewad that was the same color as the hull. Current construction has a white basewad.

~Michael

9. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Pat,
    I cut off the red sleeve, put the base in a vise and yanked with pliers.

jbmi,
    I hope what you have is the wave of the future. I am partial to Winchester, but with the few AAs I have loaded, I always look down the barrel after I shoot them.
    I always thought guys who blew the smoke out of their barrels had an annoying habit, but now I know why they do it.

I have over 1000 of the Universal & Expert Winchesters, and have been on the fence whether to keep them and load for practice, or throw them away, since when I am shooting I should be thinking about my next bird instead of base wad checking. On the other hand, I do not know of anybody that has had one fall into the barrel, and the effort it takes to remove one is great.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You are probably fine if you are re-loading with a Mec style of primer seating.
    The PW loader could push the base wad up from the base, causing powder to migrate under the base wad an propel it down the Bbl.

I reload with 2 loaders both Mec a 9000G and and a 9000H hydraulic/w adjustable charging bar.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Dr.Longshot,

Using a PW, or any loader, how does powder negotiate to the bottom of the base wad?

Thank you,
    Longshooter

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Charlie- If you have a large enough magnet- it will attract any form of matter and most forms or radiation, including light. But, again, I am referring to really large magnets. There is only one magnet on the Earth that is large enough to begin this type of attraction and it is the Earth. If you and I take a trip to some near by Stars, we could find the large magnets I am referring to.

Pat Ireland

13. Borderland

Borderland Member

The most annoying aspect of the AAHS is the difficulty of getting a good crimp that closes completely.

14. Charles.F.Phillips

Pat,

I was a little confused. It sounded to me like you were referring to gravity; not magnetism. The gravity of a star is enough to bend light and the gravity of a black hole is so strong that light cannot escape its grasp. However, I looked it up and you are right:

"...all materials are influenced to greater or lesser degree by the presence of a magnetic field. Some are attracted to a magnetic field (paramagnetism); others are repulsed by a magnetic field (diamagnetism); others have a much more complex relationship with an applied magnetic field. Substances that are negligibly affected by magnetic fields are known as non-magnetic substances. They include copper, aluminium, water, and gases."

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

15. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Does anybody else have any new AAs that are one piece?

BTW the AA base pictured is not "all magneticle" (think Forest Gump) it sure looks like brass to me.

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Pat and charles f phillips ,I think you guys are on to something. Now if we can only find some lead shot that is attracted to the pitch in targets.

17. Charles.F.Phillips

comp1,

Wave a magnet over your shotshell just before loading the chamber and voilĂ ! :)

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

18. Habib

Habib Member

DTrykow, which DR XL series wad are you referring to that gets caught on the AA basewad. I have never experienced this with any wad I have used.

Borderland , lower your precrimp die a little.

19. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Dtrykow,

<i>I usually have to unload the shot then with my finger lift the wad a little then push and spin the wad down past the lip.</i>

You might like to give the claybuster wads a try, the ones with the "lead-in taper", to transition the base wad.

See website.

http://www.claybusterwads.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=8

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

We don't need no stinking magnets, learn how to control the shot string using brain waves. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.