1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New 870 wont eject cheap shells..??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

A young man told me last night about buying a new 870, he duck hunts with 3 inch shells and it works fine,but when he shoots cheap dove loads the empty shell will not eject.. you can either wait until it all cools off and then the shell will eject or you have to knock it out with a cleaning rod.. im guessing a tight bore and that he will probably have to send it back..?? any ideas.. thanks!

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Loose extractor.. install new extractor spring and square the hook.. Should work fine..

3. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

A friend of mine shoots a new 870 trap and it won't eject the cheap Wally world Winchesters either. It works ok with reloaded AA shell.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Check the rim diameter of the cheap shells...I bet its smaller than the good stuff so the extractor isn't getting good purchase on the rims of the cheap hulls...I ran into the same issue years ago with Winchester 1200's and 2200's not ejecting cheap import loads...

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Are the shells he shoots for ducks steel or brass?? Ross

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Extract or eject? HMB

7. tdhrlyrydr

tdhrlyrydr TS Member

had same prob w my 870 classic trap when it was new... ejecter was replaced under warranty and been fine ever since. Happy New Year

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I had the same problem with my Mach One and the cheap promo Winchesters. To solve problem: DON'T BUY THE CHEAP WINCHESTERS. The base expands too much. Fred

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Had this problem with just about every 870 Express I sold in the last few years. Polishing the chamber fixed most of them and took quite a bit of polishing. Extractor was the culprit on a couple of them also but mostly chamber problem. Jackie B.

10. JD45

JD45 Member

It is the alloy rimmed shells.

The same thing happened in my Citori(with Nobels). Then I saw it happen to a Beretta 687(cheap Win.). Lately both brands have locked-up my 870 while shooting sporting clays.

If they want to use a cheap alloy, they could at least do enough research to find a better one.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You need to hone and polish the chamber....very common problem with 870. You can use a automotive brake hone and then follow with a tornado brush and that'll work wonders.

12. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

Where can you get the new Extractor Spring? I have a Left hand Express that digests dove loads like the are going out of style. But when using duck loads, Steel of Bismuth or Heavyshot, the hand and wont extract. I "sharpened the extractor to give it some bit on the case rims but would love a stronger spring.

Link would be great.

Doest Wolf Springs make 'em? Is it a part from Remington?

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I shoot a 870 TB made in 1974, and the new cheap shells from Walmart in the 4 packs in Federals, Winchester, and Remington won't eject usually. It's the shells. I rezized the shell in a Mec 12 gauge resizer and they now eject fine.
    Steve Balistreri

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I think the resizing changes the profile of the rim...

15. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

What about those springs I asked about?

16. den1100

den1100 Member

Dude, if it's a Remington gun, ask Remington...

17. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

None of the above. The problem is with the steel base shells. They expand and stick in the chamber. Steel bases lack the elasticity of brass. Some manufacturer's steel bases are worse than others. Another point to make is that contrary to what you might think, steel bases stick worse in a chamber that runs on the large side than in a smaller one.

18. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

bridgetoofar,

Not entirely true. The problems I have been having are with Bismuth and Heavy Shot. NOT steel based loads. All brass.

Polished chamber, you can comb your hair in the reflection. Has nothing to do with the metal base and it's expansion, in my case anyway. The damned extractor just sucks at anything over 3 drams. Can't hold the rim of the base. a stronger spring might do the trick, or break the MIM or cast extractor as it rams into battery.

John

19. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

bridgetoofar,

Not entirely true. The problems I have been having are with Bismuth and Heavy Shot. NOT steel based loads. All brass.

Polished chamber, you can comb your hair in the reflection. Has nothing to do with the metal base and it's expansion, in my case anyway. The damned extractor just sucks at anything over 3 drams. Can't hold the rim of the base. a stronger spring might do the trick, or break the MIM or cast extractor as it rams into battery.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stronger ejecting rod for 870