1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New 870 Quality

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darth Vader, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader TS Member

I have heard that newer 870's have some new inferior parts and do not have the quality of the older ones like my 1970 TB Trap. Is this true? I was thinking about getting a new Classic Trap 870 but want to make sure it is as good as Old Faithful. Does anyone out there know for sure? Thank-you! James Carpenter

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I would not hesitate on a Wingmaster or Classic. The Expresses are 870's that corners are cut on but, I feel the Express has its place on the hunting world. I own and have my share of both and enjoy them. I havn't had any issues in 30 years of owning Wingmasters and Expresses.

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"I have heard that newer 870's have some new inferior parts and do not have the quality of the older ones like my 1970 TB Trap. Is this true?"

Not based on those I have examined closely over the past few years or my 2005 manufacture 1100 Classic Trap. My 1100CT is more nicely finished than my 1976 870TB that I bought new in Dec. 1976.

I would not hesitate to buy a new one for my own use.

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The expresses are just as reliable as any 870. If any corners are cut it would not be the internals, just different finishes. The difference is the parkerized finish vs glossy and stocks. The 870 is the number one selling gun in the world. Call Remington right up and ask em about it. I heard that walmart remingtons were of a lower grade than regular ones because remington made a special line specifically for walmart. Called Remington and got set straight, they may have been feeding me a line, but I doubt it.

Nick

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

As a further comment, I have been an owner/shooter of these guns since 1972 to the present. My experience indicates that not all the 1970's guns were necessarily better, it is a small sampling but here is an example;

My newest Remington experience is my 2005 1100 Classic Trap which I bought. new, in Dec. 2005. This gun has gone 10,000+ rounds to date without issues (something my 2 year old BT-99 has not)

My 2005 1100 Classic Trap is better fit and finished than my wife's 1984 1100TA Trap or my 1976 870TB Trap. I like my 870TB and it is still in good shape but when I took delivery of it in Dec 1976 it had some small blemishes in the wood finish, the ejector housing was a few .001" s out causing a slight misalignment of the barrel/rib with the receiver and the extractor missed its one final shaping process on one surcace which needed attention.

While I have no doubt there are some exceptions, I have had 37 years experience with the Remington repeating shotguns, IMHO, the Wingmasters and target grade 870's & 1100's made in the last few years are very well finished.

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The cut corners is why an Express is $275.00 and a Wingmaster is $650.00. The finish on a Express is steel shot blasted than blued, laminated birch, plastic trigger guard, rough machined rib etc.. They are good guns and they have their place. I don't have an issue on them for how they are being used my me.

I thought I'd see an Express 1100 or 11-87 by now. Havn't seen it yet.

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Yes you have - it's called the "Sportsman."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.