1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New $249 Pocket Radar Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTA Tom, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

[​IMG]

Pre-orders are $50 off the $249 price.

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Taking the speed deems kind of dicey- taken from the Q&A section<br>
    <br>
    Using the Pocket Radar:

How do I take a measurement?
    To measure the speed of a moving object, simply “press and release” the big red button on the Pocket Radar while the pointing the radar beam from the back of the unit directly in line with the moving object. Think of it as if you were trying to take a snapshot picture of an object in motion. If you press the button too soon or too late you may not catch the object in motion. Keep in mind that some fast moving objects may only be in motion for a short period of time. For instance, a fastball pitched at 60 MPH traveling 60 feet from the pitcher to the catcher will only be in the air for 0.7 seconds. With a little practice it will become easier to develop the hand-eye coordination to catch the ball in flight, just like it would to take a picture of the ball while it is in the air. Of course a car traveling over a longer distance is much easier to capture.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'm sure that most of the cost has to do with it's size. I'd have more confidence in a standard sized unit, even one of the cheaper versions for under $100 might equal this unit. It would be a handy device, since you could carry it to the line and check target speed, but it might not work well enough unless you are directly behind the trap.

4. Harv Shell

You also better push the big red button when the target is at it's fastest, if thats possible. Too much chance for error I think.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Worthless. Maybe fun to push targets around with the radar beam like you can with a laser pointer, but not set up to do what we need.

Neil

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I sent the company the ATA Rules on target setting with a radar gun. Today, they replied:

"Tom,

Thank you for the details. This is a big help.

We have done all of our testing against the Stalker Pro and the Decatur radar guns. We do have less range than these high power guns, but we have much more range than the Bushnell unit. We can easily read a baseball from over 100 feet, so 16 yards on a clay pigeon should not be a problem for our range.

We have also changed our detection method to make it much easier to find the moving object. Now all you have to do is push the button just before the release and the Pocket Radar will automatically find the fastest speed of the moving object for you. We need to update the wording on or FAQ page, it is no longer the way the new software works."

7. Neil Winston

That sounds _way_ better, Tom. The other way it wouldn't work at all.

Neil

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I had asked them to send me the results of their initial range testing on trap targets. They responded today:

"Tom,

I have a quick update for you. We had a team out today doing radar range tests on trapshooting targets.

We tested numerous target launches from 16 yards back from the launcher with the Pocket Radar and the Stalker Pro Ka band Radar Gun. In each case the Pocket Radar had plenty of range to measure the targets and each time we measured within 1 MPH of the speed of Stalker unit. This is well within the combined accuracy range of the 2 guns. In some cases you will find that the Pocket Radar can display 1 MPH faster than a Stalker because the Stalker Gun will take a true speed of 41.9 MPH and truncate the speed reading to display 41 MPH, where the Pocket Radar will round off to the nearest speed and show 42 MPH. This is a difference in how the two units compute what speed to display. We have found that the Pocket Radar rounding method is preferable to most users.

We also got the same results with a different Radar Gun built by Decatur.

As a quick check, we also backed up to 20 yards out and still saw plenty of range to measure the targets from there as well.

The timing was very easy to achieve. In fact, in our testing we found that the Stalker and Decatur units missed measuring the target several times when the Pocket Radar was very consistent at catching the speed."

9. Harv Shell

Bravo, great improvement. Now that looks like a usable tool for quick checks.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am impressed that the company followed up the request and tested the small radar gun on the trpafield. I am also curious about the readings by the different guns. The Decatur gun truncated the speed reading. The pocket model rounded off the readings but the ProSpeed gun records them to the nearest one tenth of a mile. A target traveling at 42.8 MPH will be read as 42.8 by the ProSpeed, 48 by the Decatur and 49 by the Pocket model.

Pat Ireland

11. Neil Winston

. . . but Pat, neither the ProSpeed nor the Stalker _has_ to "truncate" the readings since both _can_ display to 1/10 MPH.

With the new software, and the claimed ability to be used at the 16 yard line, this looks like a possible alternative to the low power guns for convenience, the high-power guns for cost. I may have to get one for testing.

Neil

12. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I got my Pocket Radar last week, and tried it out today. I only have limited experience, but assuming the readings are accurate, it seemed to work about as well as any other gun I've used or seen used from the 16 yard line.

It's available on Amazon for $199.99 with free shipping. There's a short video.

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Radar-Personal-Speed/dp/B003IM6YAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1273420942&sr=8-1

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I learned something today. According to the NSSA web site, when using a radar gun, high house skeet targets are set at 46-46.9 MPH, and low house targets at 48-48.9 MPH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.