1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New .17 winchester Super Magnum

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Interested in purchasing one and my understanding is that Savage has a bolt action in this caliber. I have not been able to find one or even what model it is. Any help. Jackie B.

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

17 Hornet by Hornady

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. djcuda

djcuda Member

The Savage is a moel 25 in the .17 Hornet.It is on Savages website.
    Dave

4. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

This will probably be a fun round to shoot I really dont need one ( too many 17s ) The 2013 hodgdon reloading annual manual has an artical abuot the 17 hornet along with loading data It only takes 9.0 gr powder to get over 3600fps cheap to shoot

5. trappair

trappair Member

I am not sure. but I think he is refering to the new rimfire round that Winchester is bringing out. the .17 win super magnum . They are supposed to run 3000 fps with 20 gn bullit. Read about it on rimfirecentral.com. I have not heard of a rifle for it at this time. Sounds like it may be a fun round. Mike Ruggieri

6. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

Thanks mike for the update I havent heard about this round but I will check it out Up for another toy

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I am talking about the new 17 win super mag ammo. There was a article in Guns and Ammo some time back about it and was tested with a Savage rifle. I think it will be a fun little gun. Jackie B.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    And another old classic wildcat goes commercial.

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Don't know too many people who were wildcatting .27 cal nail gun brass.

jim brown

10. Brian in Oregon

My bad, I was thinking of the new Hornet based cartridge.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Jim,

I necked mine down and use it to shoot staples.

buzzy

12. Anthony12ga

Anthony12ga Member

.17 Winchester Super Magnum. Its case was a .27-caliber powder reservoir used in industrial construction to drive fasteners into concrete. In converting it to a rifle round, Winchester engineers made it thicker and stronger to withstand the pressures inherent in pushing a bullet down a barrel. Then they necked it down to .17. The 20-grain rounds averaged 3,023 fps and the 25-grain ones went 2,625 as measured 10 feet from the muzzle.

[​IMG]

Left to right: .22 Long Rifle, .22 WMR, .17 HMR, two .17 Winchester Super Magnums

[​IMG]

L. to R. 22 LR, 22 WMR, 17 HMR, 17 WSM 20 gr., 17WSM 25 gr., 22 Hornet.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm very ignorant about the 17 cal. rimfire guns. I want an autoloader and understand that Ruger made one with little success. What are the pros of the .17 over the .22 mag? Are there any new autoloaders on the horizon that are bored for either of these loads that show promise?

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Autoloaders and .17 rimfire cartridges don't seem to jive too well. Remington recalled all of theirs. It has to do with timing the bolt blowback properly, too much one way and it won't function, too much the other way and the brass will fail, and "just right" is a fine line which no manufacturer has really been able to hit yet. I imagine this new round will be the same way, limited to non-semi auto guns.

15. trappair

trappair Member

I have a Volquartsen that works very well . Have had it on quite a few pdog shoots. It is trouble free. I think Magnum Research may still makr one, not sure. No other autos that I know off. Mike Ruggieri

16. Brian in Oregon

There are two 17 HMR semi-autos that work.

Volquartsen has one based on a 10-22 Magnum. It has a rod attached to the bolt that runs under the forend to a weight. This provides enough total bolt mass to make blowback operation possible.

Alexander Arms makes a 17 HMR AR15 upper. It also is blowback operated, but the bolt spring and bolt itself were specifically designed for the pressure curve of the 17 HMR.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Brian. I have been looking on the net for pricing of the Volquartsen and have only seen them for MSRP. Is that what I should be paying for it?

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If they're anything like my .17 Remington buy a good cleaning rod and plenty of patches-you'll need 'em!!

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The 17 is my favorite to play with. Just love it

20. trappair

trappair Member

Bryan, I do not recogonize the Volquarzon you speak of. Mine is not a Ruger modified. It does use the Ruger magazine. The bolt and barrel are made and imported by them. The triger group is also made by them, but will fit the 10-22. The bolt and recoil spring is built to handle the pressure of the HMR. Mine does not have a spring running to under the forearm. I have a friend who has one , his is built like mine ecept has a different barrel. They are really cool and fun to shoot, have shot mine several hundred times between cleaning.
    Mine has the carbon fiber barrel which Volquartzen say to use only a bore snake to clean. Very accurate but on the pricey side. Mike Ruggieri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

17 hmr rifle

17 winchester super magnum

17 wmr

17 wsm ammunition

22 wsm

alexander arms 17 hmr

calibre 17 winchester super magnum

ruger semi auto 17 hmr rifle