1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New 1100 competition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tjcutter, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Has anyone seen or shot one of the new ones with the Jack West stock and Ken Rucker recoil system?

Tom

2. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I recently picked up a new 1100 Competition Synthetic listed on Gun Broker. Before that, I had been searching for more than a month to find one. I called Remington to check on the availability of the gun and got a very generic response stating that the guns were in current production. It seems that Remington is making them in batches of 200-250 that are sent out to their distributers, most of which are supplying retailers with a waiting list.

I bought the gun to replace the 1187 Sporting Clays gun that my 12 year old son Andy has been using for SCTP. We were able to check out an 1100 Competition Synthetic at the SCTP national championship at Sparta this year and really liked how the gun felt, and also that it features the adjustable comb and Auto-Buster system.

The gun runs well with no major problems to report. It did, at first, have trouble ejecting the light practice loads we shoot (7/8 oz @ 1150 fps), but that issue dissipated the more rounds we shot through it. There were no failures to eject after the first 100 rounds through the gun. I attribute this to a new tight gun and really light loads. We shoot some hotter loads for skeet and sporting clays and I have no doubt that these will cycle just fine. I truly think that the gun will cycle the light practice loads from here on out without trouble.

The gun swings very well. Some have written that the gun is a little barrel heavy, but it posed no trouble for either of us when shooting trap. Our opinions may change when we shoot skeet and sporting clays, but we have a 26” light contour 1187 barrel that can be used if needed. The recoil reduction is truly amazing! It comes with three sets of springs. We left in the medium weight springs, thinking that we could adjust it either way depending on what the recoil was like. Andy is accustom to an 1187 with a Kick-eez pad with our light loads and we thought that that gun was one of the lighter recoiling guns around, but it’s not even close to how soft the 1100 Comp with the Auto-Buster system shoots. We’re going to stay with the medium springs. It comes with five Briley Pro Bore extended chokes. We haven’t had time to pattern the gun, but I can tell you that the barrel fitted with the Pro Bore full choke is a genuine smoke pole at 16 yards.

The results were pretty good too. Andy shot 4 rounds of trap and shot 18, 21, 22 and 23. His average is about 21 so that was a nice first outing. I shot one round for a 25 and decided that I need to start saving for another purchase! The 1100 Comp Synthetic still feels very much like a Remington shotgun, but better with the stock adjustments and the extra soft recoil. We’re happy with the gun and I highly recommend it to anyone that is considering a replacement/alternate for their 870 or a traditional 1100. I think that it is a very good deal with a retail price of about $1,200.

There is a very informative thread about this gun titled “2011 NEW Model 1100™ Competition Synthetic“ in the I Love My Remington sub forum on Shotgun World that you might find of interest.

Regards,
    Brad

3. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Thanks for the report Brad. I had not heard about these and just happened to come across it on the Remington website. Hopefully they will get easier to find because I would really like to try one out.

Thanks
    Tom

4. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

My friend just bought one used two weeks old for $800. The owner swiched to an OU for sporting. It is everything the above shooter said and more. the fit, finish, and functioning are excellent.

5. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Here`s a link to the thread on Shotgun World.
    Regards, Pete

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Do you look for one of these, or go with a Beretta 391 Trap??

7. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

I think you are getting way more gun for the money and the Beretta is a nightmare to clean.

Tom

8. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Regarding an 1100 vs. the beretta 391:

I have owned both. IMHO, the recoil on the beretta was "sharper" than the recoil of the 1100. Two friends also thought the same thing after shooting the 391 - without me mentioning it to them. Your experience may vary.

Plus, I agree with tjcutter - I think the 391 is tougher to breakdown to clean. On the 1100, everything strips down to the bare bones. With the 391, you still have a few parts that you cannot take apart very easily for the routine cleanings.

I had similar malfunctions on each - neither really had any worth mentioning - just one or two, but very seldom if you cleaned them regularly.

Both broke targets when I did my part, and both are high quality semis.

But, for me...it's the 1100 all the way. I could probably break one down completely and reassemble it with my eyes closed.

9. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I also have a Beretta 390 Super Trap 32" that my 14 year old son shoots in SCTP; and several of the boys' teammates shoot 391's. Felt recoil is definately less with the 1100 Comp Synthetic. There is no comparison as to which gun is easier to clean; it's the 1100.

Brad

10. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought Ken Ruckers stock and forearm for $400 and put it on a LH 1100 I had laying around. I highly recommend this setup from Ken. It's the ultimate soft shooter!!!

11. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Are the new Competitons available to pruchase??

12. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

"Are the new Competitons available to pruchase??"

The answer to this is likely based upon the inventory of local retailers. I can tell you that to the best of my knowledge there aren't any in stock at any of the Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop or Cabela retail stores in my immediate vicinity (SE Wisconsin).

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Being an owner of both, I'll give it to you as far as cleaning. The 1100 is easier but the Beretta is not difficult. With a few of the correct small hand tools it's easy.

I'm as true blue as one can get hunting with the old classic 1100. My choice out the door and into the truck BUT Remington target auto guns couldn't hold a candle to Beretta auto loader target grade gun. They are heavier, more solid, adjustable, less whippy. Just think Remmy target guns are glorified field guns. Just my opinion.

14. Be-rad1100

Be-rad1100 TS Member

I think you should definitley check one out, tjcutter.

Brad

15. battuebarb

battuebarb TS Member

Spanky
    Your wrong about the new Competition.I owned the 390 and 391 and they will not stack up to the new 1100 Competition in weight-function or recoil.

16. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

I think cutter should just shoot his Bt 99. Seems like I recall cutter saying I am only going to shoot my BT.

17. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I certainly agree with Spanky in that the Beretta autoloaders are more solidly built. Berettas offer more in the way of machined parts and the 1100 Comp still comes with the standard fare of stamped parts found on all 1100's. I also agree that the 1100 and 1187 target guns of the past were pretty much dressed up field guns.

That being said, the 1100 Competition Synthetic is very different from the previous 1100 and 1187 target gun offerings, and compares nicely to the current Beretta autoloaders.

Weight:
    The 1100 Comp Synthetic weighs in at 8.9 lbs. out of the box, no weight added. *Remington lists the weight at 8.125 lbs., but I weighed my gun and checked with others. 8.9 lbs. is what it weighs.
    The weight of the AL391 is listed at 7.7 lbs. I weighed my AL390 with the 32”super trap barrel and it comes in at about 7.5 lbs.

Adjustability:
    The 1100 Comp Synthetic comes with an adjustable comb.
    Some of the 391 target models come with an adjustable comb, but are priced $1,100 more than the 1100 Comp Synthetic.

Whippiness:
    This is pretty subjective, but many people that shoot the 1100 Comp Synthetic claim that if anything, the gun seems a little muzzle-heavy. This gun comes with the Pro-Bore barrel that weighs 5oz. more than the standard 1100 vent rib field barrels and 13oz. more than the light contour barrels fitted to the past 1100 target guns. Compared to my AL390 w/ 32” barrel, it swings about the same.

For anyone that has an opportunity to shoot the new 1100 Comp Synthetic, I highly recommend it – especially if you have shot 1100’s before.

18. bubba68

bubba68 Member

My standard field 1100, with a monte carlo stock added and 25" barrel weighs in at 8 lbs. 4 oz. - far from being "whippy". I shoot mostly sporting with mine. When I shot trap with it years ago, I added a 30" barrel, which will push it close to 8 1/2 lbs.

My 391 always felt lighter in the receiver - different materials I assume. I would have said the 391 was whippy compared to the 1100.

Everyone just needs to shoot both before deciding what works for them. Just as was mentioned above, we are dealing in some subjective attributes of each gun. What is whippy to one person may be a smooth swinging gun to another.

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I know I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong. I probably am, wife tells me that all the time. These comp. models may very well could be made to a different quality. I will look at one to satisfy my couriosity. As stated I'm as true blue a Remmy guy with my hunting guns.

The biggest and only piece of Remmy junk I ever bought was the Sporting 12 auto. Great wood, good looking gun. The barrel nut and barrel just doesn't stay tight enough to suit me. It is not made like the old 1100's and 11-87's with the little detent locking ball. I find it to be a major distraction when shooting sporting and skeet reaching to check that mag cap. I corrected my issue by just adding a thin metric o-ring between cap and barrel lug and everything stays tight but there is no excuse for that fit. I know guy who shoot the 20 and 410 versions and the issue exists with them also.

The gun has become an occasional guest loaner gun. Goes to show you that I'm a great guy inspite of that my wife would say.

Well, bought a Beretta 391 30" Sporting and love it. Have since found a great deal on a new 32" Gold Parallel Target. Though this is not my trap gun. I've found this gun to be a great all around gun for trap, skeet and sporting clays. If someone was looking for an all around target auto. The Parallel Target would be a suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how often full strip and clean remington 1100 competition auto

remington 1100 competition felt recoil
strip down remington 1100 competition auto gun
strip down remington 1100 competition auto shotgun