1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

New 1 oz wad for steel shot from Ballistic Product

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

BPI has a new 1 oz wad for steel shot you are sure to like. It's the PT1260 which replaces the old VP60 which had leakage issues due to a thin powder cup roof.

They've tested some trap speed loads for us, so the recipes are available. Faster hunting style recipes are available too.

They happen to be out of stock - we bought the last 5 cases, but if you get your order in, I'm sure they'll include your case count in their next order from overseas. We've got an additional 15 case order on indefinite hold pending the next shipment.

See link above.

2. 1903

1903 Member

I checked out how much money a box of steel shotshell reloads costs using the load cost calculator on this site. I'm not including the hull in the calculation. Taking in account shipping costs as per the website you linked to for steel and wads, I come up with a figure somewhere near $7.08 per box. I did not figure shipping costs for primers and powder. You can get those locally. Is this correct? You can buy a case of steel winchester loads from recobs when they deliver to a nearby gunclub for $62.99 plus tax. How much better of a shell are you going to be able to reload for all the extra money?? Just an inquiring mind............ John......

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

John:

we buy the steel by the ton and with shpg the steel amounts to $1.40/lb. Primers at $125/5000, powder at $12/lb + wad of choice I can load economically but more importantly tailor the shell to my shoulder... for my 16 yard I like light and slow...

$3/bx for my 16 yard load... maybe $4/box with more powder and more expensive wads... be agressive in your purchasing...

Jay

4. joe kuhn

John - list your prices per component along with the speed and wieght on the Recob shell and we'll compare.

5. joe kuhn

We sometimes buy shells too. When Federal came out with a 1145 fps shell with 1-1/8 oz of #7 steel, I shot those for quite a while. Cost me $6.50 a box and it's just about what I want to shoot. I'd prefer #6 shot instead of #7. I feel it's a good price.

When BPI has a quality component at a decent price, I'm compelled to tell others. Get together as a club and ask them for volume pricing. As Jay touches on, we've done that with all our components. We dislike high prices as much as the next guy.

If you could see what a full load of #6 steel does to a target, I'd think you'd be impressed. And it doesn't take a lot of speed.

6. 1903

1903 Member

Thanks for your comments. I loaded up on steel shells whenever I saw them at china mart in Shorewood for $5.99. Bought them out every time. I try to buy in bulk myself, but not as much as you guys, LOL. I realize the savings when components are bought in the quantity that a gunclub can handle. I wish I could do that. I would shoot alot more. I've shot at your club (Naperville sportsmans club) on numerous times with you guys. It was always an enjoyable time there for me. I bring along winchester shells, 1oz, 1325fps, 7 shot and if I do my part I get nice white/gray puffs. I would like to try #6 sometime. From the 16 yard line, I can't really tell too much of a difference between using #7 steel vs. #8 lead. Lead at other clubs, of course. I will be up there again soon. Have fun, John.............

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Any comments on loading lead in these wads? I wonder if the thicker and stiffer material would produce good patterns?

8. joe kuhn

John, You might consider joining our club. Dues are $55 or $60 per year. You can then shoot for less and enjoy the cheaper prices on components. There's a free cookout every year and some great league shooting. See ya!

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1 oz steel loads using pt1260 wad

ballistic products powder cup recipes

ballistic steel wads