1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Never shoot the same gun more than two years

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Don’t fall into a rut where you shoot the same old gun over a long period of time. It becomes boring after a while. Put a little change in your life. There is something exciting about watching for the postman and hoping he will deliver the new gun so you can head to the club and try it out. I’ll bet many of you feel that same way.

When I was shooting hot and heavy, I sometimes shot two or three different guns in one season and it was always fun. There were a couple of times the new one didn’t work well for me but most times I could shoot one gun as well as another.

So, shoot well and try a different gun now and then.

BB

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I agree. I usually get a new gun every season, sometimes two.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BB, maybe we could have a 4 gun category where you must use a different gun for each trap? You know, just to add some excitement to the new sub categories the EC just passed on to the membership.

Hap

4. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Ditto! I can't keep anything more than a shooting season.

5. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I have always been under the impression (and it has been my opinion) that the top shooters usually stick with one gun for long periods of time (many years), and just have them serviced when appropriate. I have tried to follow that philosophy, and it has generally worked, (but I still have a ways to go before I would consider myself a top-level shooter).

I have noticed lately that top-level shooters can usually shoot just about any gun quite well, as long as it is configured for the game at hand. The games of American Trap and Skeet, at the higher levels, are pretty much "miss and out" affairs, so even great shooting with a new gun (like 98/100) can keep one from making the winner's circle.

I know several Sporting Clays shooters who shoot very different guns, depending on their mood (e.g. an over/under one day, followed by an automatic on another day). They still usually make the winner's circle, since perfect scores aren't required for winning.

Certainly, this is just a game, and is supposed to be about enjoyment and relaxation. So, if buying and shooting different guns is fun and within one's budget, why not?

bluedsteel

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

After many years doing the gun shuffle, I have the 3 tournament shotguns I intend to shoot until I can't. I don't want to think about the money I have spent on these kinds of toys over the last 53 years.

Browning XT Unsingle, Browning Special Sporting Clays, Browning Euro 525 Sporter.

ATA trap, Skeet, Sporting, and Intl' games.

Guns for the games I play that fit, hit, and work. One like mine won a kid $100K this year. LOL

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ask Phil Ross. He shot the same Model 12 for 40+ years. And I might add, won a lot of money...

8. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

Depends on where your priorities lie. I love the guns more than the sport. It's all about the guns with me.

9. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I'm utilitarian. A gun is a tool to me. I would never forsake a great tool for an unknown that doesn't promise more than I have already.

Regards,
    Chip

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Good choices, Shooting Coach! The Model A Fords of the clay shooting world! Martinpicker

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

That would assume you have the financial resources to change guns often....I've been shooting the same guns for 30 years....

12. new zealand trapper

new zealand trapper TS Member

We have a cup that we shoot for once a year where you shoot 5 tgts a lane and leave your gun their for the next fellow to use ,it is very hard to get all 25 tgts with 5 different guns but it is a very fun shoot , you do want to be carefull their are no muppets in your squad .

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

So what we need to do is put together a lending library of trap guns! You put the one you are tired of into the library and that would give you the right to borrow one that is already in the library to shoot for two weeks. A minor deposit to cover normal wear upgrades and insure against damage...Wouldn't that be fun! I would love to shoot a Kolar or Mach One, but would never have the nerve otherwise. And think of the kids who have never had the pleasure of shooting a good Model 12! It would open new worlds for them! Martinpicker

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hey, let me add this cast into the pond: Some very, very, very expensive guns that are upgrades of high end guns (particularly with super exhibition wood and expensive engraving) may not shoot the best becasue the manuifacturer might put on lesser barrels that didn't quite make the cut? Why not, one supposes the philosphy is that pretty is one goal, a "race" gun has different requirements...

I don't know if what I just wrote is true about the super fancy guns, just something I heard, and it may be dead nuts wrong.

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Shoot what you can afford I guess. I'm a Browning and Beretta guy. And in all seriousness I've never ever envied what other shooters are shooting. Just the opposite of most I'm about trying to break targets and having a good time. Found over the last year or so sporting clays has alot more of the good time associated with it. But, I find trap to be a great game. Beretta combo or Browning 625 20 ga. Sporting in near future for 2012. Just need to make time to find it.

16. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I like new guns!!

17. Blaser F3

Blaser F3 TS Member

The newer stuff the better. But you can ask some guys and if it's not what they shoot it's a bad gun. All I can say is my Blaser works for me and I plan on shooting it until blaser comes out with a top single HAHA.

18. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Some people need VARIETY, NOVELTY AND INTENSITY to stay interested and focus....hence, the constant switching of guns...

Some people need SAMENESS, CONSTANCY and FAMILIARITY to stay interested and focus...hence, keeping the same gun for ages.....

Just be TRUE to Yourself and do what is best for you.....

Then, again, LIFE is very short: DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!

19. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'm with you, Bangalore!!!

20. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

never sell the gun that got you into A class,you might need it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.