1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

never seen before

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bulgie, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

was bumming around today and ran across a shotgun name I have never seen before. Would you believe a HERTERS O/U. I'm almost sure it was and old style 101. Waas fairly nice with ejectors, etc. I can remember when i first started loadin in the early 60's. Herter offered a lot of stuff and it was all guaranteed to be the very best made or your money back. Stuffed a lot of herters stuff in shells back then but had never seen a gun with Herters on it til today.

2. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

was bumming around today and ran across a shotgun name I have never seen before. Would you believe a HERTERS O/U. I'm almost sure it was and old style 101. Waas fairly nice with ejectors, etc. I can remember when i first started loadin in the early 60's. Herter offered a lot of stuff and it was all guaranteed to be the very best made or your money back. Stuffed a lot of herters stuff in shells back then but had never seen a gun with Herters on it til today.

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I am looking at a 1969 Herter's catalog right now. It has a bunch of rifles and handguns, and two shotguns listed.
    The first shotgun is the Herter's Automatic(sic) Shotgun Model SL18 Deluxe Royal Grade. From the picture and description, it is a Browning A5. It retailed for $134.95 to $138.95, depending on barrel choice. It is heavily engraved and has a vent rib.

The other shotgun featured in the catalog is a single-barrel retailing for $29.95. It looks amazingly similar to some of the Russian and Turkish guns being marketed today....i.e. cheap, cheap, cheap. I don't think it is an H&R Topper, as it has a different barrel release design.

I don't recall ever seeing Herter's market an O/U. Thanks for the info! Is it possible that it is a Browning, also??

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I was young, Herter's had a Super Varmint Special. It was a FN bolt gun with a 30" heavy barrel 264 Mag. Talk about a barrel burner!

I liked the 220 Max-Fire primers and the Flite Max wads.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

herters model perfect 100% virgin goose down coat

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

You guys remember the Herter's Perfect Handicap un-slit wads? Heaviest wad I ever loaded and did they ever have a kick! BTW, they didn't pattern any better than the AAs did at any distance. Hap

7. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Ajax.....the gun I saw was a model S27. It has long barrels and may well be a trap gun. I did not see choke markings on the barrels near the ejector area so I guess they are marked under the forearm. This gun appears to be a shooter and is in faily nice shape. I saw it in a local pawnshop (Mississippi) and know the operators well. I would be happy to go back and look at the choke markings and get back to you. I think they had the gun priced about $800. I did not see "made in Japan" on the gun but the was the forearm iron was held in the wood it sure looked like an ole 101. If you want to know more, post here. Regards

8. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

AJAX.................I will try and look at the gun again on Monday. I saw the model number.s27..where you said it was. It did not have greenish tint wood. I will look at the choke markings and try to remember all I can. I will post to this thread or start a new one. No problem at all

9. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

AJAX.................I will try and look at the gun again on Monday. I saw the model number.s27..where you said it was. It did not have greenish tint wood. I will look at the choke markings and try to remember all I can. I will post to this thread or start a new one. No problem at all

10. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Ajax.............you have mail, I hope. I may have looked at your email wrong but I have saved the message in case I did. You can post here or if you got the email, we are in good shape.

11. break25

break25 TS Member

I have a Model S27 Field Gun and their Fitted Luggage type case. See pages 533 thru 536 of the 1968 Catalog. The gun was manufactured in Japan by I think Fuji? I had a Lifetime Guarantee just like the Browning it copied. I have forgotten if the S27 that I have has the same breakdown as pictured. Don't remember if I paid $158 or $168 in 1968 when I was 35 years old. They told me it was the last one they had. You were put on a waiting list.
    I think I only shot 50 rounds of TRAP thru it. It is Full and Mod, 28 or 30? From then on, only bought Trap guns as my dad introduced me to Trap.
    Herters also put out for a short while a copy of the Browning Hump back.
    I have the S27 pages out from another Catalog and if I knew how to put them on-line I would.
    I used to love to do busisness with Herters. In fact thru them on the inside cover it showed how to become a Dealer and get a FFL for $1.00 so that you buy at discount. I had the licence until 1968,when the laws changed.

Forget about Cabelas or Gander. This was a dream catalog.

CHAZZ

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I still have my 50 straight Herters patch I got when I shot my 1st 50 straight around 1973-4. Never knew they had a gun itself. Very interesting thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

herter shotggun s27

herters goose down jacket

herters s27

herters sl-18