1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Never ending lead problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Palos shooter, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

The lead story never ends..The EPA needs to find something to do to justify there jobs..They make it sound like we are all going to die from lead contamination next week..Sportsman Park . Naperville, Illinois is next on there hit list..Don't tell them there is lead in Sparta..The truth is that most people in the area have been drinking out of lead pipes since they were born.All or most of the water services that come into your house come thru lead pipes..That is from the street to the house usually about 70 feet of lead pipe..The EPA wont comment on it, because the city would have to bear the cost of a copper replacement..Easier to just blame lead on the shooters..
    Here is the Naperville article
    http://dailyherald.com/article/20110622/news/706229845/

Wonder what clubs are next??

2. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

And if your house has copper water lines, all the joints were probably soldered with 50/50 lead/tin solder. Especially if the house is over 20 years old.

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

They stopped one friend from building a house on the shorefront. They claimed that people used lead sinkers for fishing a that a child might find one and put it in his mouth. The "they" are the EPA. "THEY" are also nuts!

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

It is just "back door" politic to get your guns!!

If lead is banned, and to them the faster the better, what need do you have for owning a firearm??????????

The lead issue is no different then the "spotted owl" hoax that destroyed a legal industry in the PNW!

When our government "goes" after someone or something to ban it, bells and whistles should be going off loud and clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show me ONE thing this government does correct?????? YOU CAN'T

Case Closed!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you have a lead recovery program in place? HMB

6. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

Doesn't appear that any local shooters have advised them that a reclamation company will come,clean it and PAY THEM!

7. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

What we need to make this COUNTRY run better is GET RID OF THE EPA,DEP ETC .THese AS^%$^ holes have nothing better to do then to bother the hard working man or women who want to have a little fun in their LIVES!!!

8. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

getting rid of the epa best idea i have heard in a long time don'nt know how
    i have lived so long with all the lead in pipes,tooth paste tubes.house paint

9. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Why in the hell do people let these so called officals run our lives. They are servants of the taxpayers and hired by the taxpayers. It should be about time people start thinking straight and get rid of these sons a bitches. Stop being fooled by the public servants and and start getting on the local govern. asses by calling them and leave messages. Tell you friends and neighbors. Tell them how much money these dumb bastards are costing just to have them on the tax payroll. Its time to stop this nonsense. wild Bill

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The reason we have these types of regulatory agencies is we have a history of making bad decisions based on uninformed personal opinions.

Lead is a serious toxin and just because you personally haven't been harmed by it (that you know of) doesn't mean that it is safe.

I am not talking from the cheap seats either, I have spent my career in the heavy metals industry and have had to comply with all kinds of regulatory agencies. But the thing is compliance is just part of the job and if you can't manage to do that then you really aren't very good at what you are doing. Beyond that I don't want to think that I am responsible for putting pollutants into the environment around my own community. These are friends and family we are talking about.

Profession or hobby it doesn't matter - clean up your mess.

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The bottom line is that its a leased facility and in the article they want to be able to covert the land back at some point for non-shooting purposes.

They have already stopped shooting lead.

If you lease, thats the stuff you have to put up with...

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of the useful properties of elemental lead is that is is not solubile in week acids (like what is in your stomach or battery acid for instance). Elemental lead won't get into your blood stream for that reason. The problems with lead comes when it is in an ionic form such as lead oxide or lead carbonate or my favorite Lead Styphnate. (old time primers). Anyway it is in these various ionic forms that lead can enter a person's blood stream and result in severe toxic effects.

The concern over areas that are polluted with elemental lead (shot for example) is that the elemental lead will eventually oxidize and enter an aquifer or some other transport mechanism. If this sort of thing does happen you are looking at a problem that has the potential to become a superfund remediation effort.

But of course you aready knew all this and instead of believing in the proven and documented toxicity studies you are convinced it is all just part of the great conspiracy to take your guns away. Silly ass science anyway .....

Sucking on sinkers and handling shot haven't caused you any problems yet therefore you believe lead to be perfectly safe. Try inhaling just 5 milligrams of litharge per day for about ten days .... you won't have to worry about going shooting anymore.

13. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Wolfram, thanks for stopping by,Oh,by the way,its about not making ammo.Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.