1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Networks are not talking about gold in Skeet.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jason Hassler, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I noticed that its nearly impossible to find coverage of the shooting sports at the Olympics. The USA swept gold in skeet and I didn't hear anything about it on the networks! Probably because the liberal media doesn't want to stir any interest in shooting. We should all contact them and complain!

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In one of the Olympic's Tom Brokaw(sp) had to tell the listners who and what got the first gold medal. He was bitting his lip but said this young lady in air rifle wont he first gold medal. He gave about 5 sec for it. I laughed knowing how he was not happy about it.

The today show did have Kim Rhodes on the show and did a small thing about her and the event. I was surprised being that they are so anti gun.

3. open choke

open choke TS Member

Cause it involves guns, thats why.

I guarantee they would mention it if the USA won a gold in the stupid horse galloping thing "estrequian" or w/e its called

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Your just not on the right channel.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

They showed the skeet medal winners on the recap version last night, along with the final shots.

6. open choke

open choke TS Member

What I think the first post is stating is that.....there is no mention on the other networks like CSB, ABC, FOX, and local news channels.

I heard everywhere that Michael Phelps won 19 total medals and before that I saw that the USA won gold medals with no metion of Kim Rhode and these other gold medals that I'm referring to were done over the weekend along with the womens skeet; and I saw it on Monday.

So bottom line they left out the shooting stuff

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The problem is the only network large enough to cover the Olympics is NBC. They have 8 Networks in their broadcast system. The link above can tell you when and where what you seek is being shown.

If you don't have cable or satellite TV then I would say you could be part of the problem. I am in the eastern time zone and this afternoon at 2:15 PM they will cover men Archery on the NBC Sports Channel.

All the days are there and all of the times are there. They are even covering trap and skeet. Now I Know that these aren't the local news channels but then again if the local news even tried to cover all of the Olympic news the news programs would be on for a couple of hours every time they come on. You should know that won't fly.

Bob Lawless

8. open choke

open choke TS Member

Perfect example of what I said before....

This morning on my local news there was mention of a scandal in badminton where 4 teams from Asia were loasing on purpose to play lower seeded teams.

They mentioned swimming again, gymnastics, and volleyball which are all odd sports

9. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I watched the news on NBC the day the American won gold in skeet and they talked for about ten minutes about Phelps breaking the medal record and gymnastics but not a single word about USA winning gold in skeet! Not even a mention of it...what the heck?

10. The Stive

The Stive Member

I saw a short clip on both the women and mens skeet. The clip showed both
    shooters breaking a few targets. They also showed Kim Rhodes medal ceremony.
    John

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

What different about coverage this time and coverage the last 50 years or more?

12. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Remember what they said about our gold and silver in '72, golds in '76 and gold and bronze in '84......that's right they said nothing. Was the media as anti-gun back then as they are now...not hardly. What hasn't changed is that outside of our community the shooting sports are insignificant compared to the other "mainstream" sports.

In fact I've seen more coverage of Kim in and around these games then I've ever seen of any other shooter outside of the shooting community.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Ask yourself a question out side of the shooting community. How many of those that watch the Olympics know the difference between Olympic Trap and Olympic Skeet????

Knowing that just how many complaints do you think the network would get if all they showed was shooting???? For me just knowing who won the gold or who didn't is enough. Besides shooting is fun watching is boring!!!!!

Bob Lawless

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Did Fox News show any of it?

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Fox news does not have video rights. Those rights closely held by NBC in the states. If you notice, many of the YouTube video uploads of the shooting events are photos, not video. NBC will have YouTube take them down if they don't have broadcast rights.

RE: What different about coverage this time and coverage the last 50 years or more?

For the first time you got to watch the final events, either live via one of the NBC channels or via the internet. Never showed in the past.

Watched the trap doubles this AM.

16. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

I just watched the finals of Men's Double Trap on the NBC Sports Network. Some of the best camera work I have ever seen from a shooting event. They had a few slow mo shots where you could see the shot string as it hit the target.

But once again they changed the scheduled time, I missed half of it.

17. oz

oz Active Member

you can see it all on the computer whenever you want. NBC olympic video

18. brownk80

brownk80 Member

One reason they don't show it more is that it is very hard to show on TV. Like skiing which makes hills look flatter, TV doesn't give you the feeling of speed or distance so it looks too easy. The fact that the media doesn't like the shooting sports has a big role too but it is not the only reason.

19. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The question to ask is akin to the old which came first the chicken or the egg question? Are the shooting sports insignificant compared to the other mainstream sports because of lack of interest on the part of the public or could it be because the so called mainstream news media denigrates anyone who has an interest in the shooting sports and gives it short shrift in the nightly news reports?

20. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I think this is an easy question to answer. It makes sense that it's a difficult sport to show as clay targets don't show up well on camera. The concept that the sport isn't popular enough doesn't hold water, after all, how many people are into the sport where the guy prances a horse around and they show that. It's obvious it's anti gun rederic because many of them don't even mention the US winning gold in these events, not even a guy reading it from a teleprompter. I'm having a hard time even finding any headlines on it. I still think everyone who is a shooter should email or call NBC and make our voices heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.