1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nervousness

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dtate10, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtate10

dtate10 TS Member

Does anyone still get nervous before a major competition, or even just a regular competition? Just curious.

Daniel Tate.

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

everyone with a heartbeat, those that say they don't just lie.

3. schneep

schneep Member

If you ain't nervous, you ain't ready

4. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Yep!

Charlie

5. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Just started shooting registered. I have two 24 straights, with a missed 25th. On both I was shaking like a school girl. I get nervous until I break the 1st target. Then I get in the zone and dont get nervous again until I am on a run.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Yeah. Try shooting (several times), at the biggest trap event that you can find. After that, all of the other places will seem uneventful.

7. dtate10

dtate10 TS Member

I'd find myself literally wanting to throw up walking up to the line, then go shoot some of my best scores.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

That's what beer is for.....see, it's not just a breakfast food!!

Curt

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I thought that beer was "Aiming Oil" ?

10. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Don't kid yourself, controlling your emotions is a major part of performing at your best. I don't get nervous or scared or jacked up anymore, I'm am able to concentrate better because of it. I look forward to the competition.

11. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

Nerves are a good thing… They’ll keep you sharp. The last thing you want to be when you call for a target is relaxed. You want to be aggressive on every target. And you can’t be aggressive and relaxed at the same time. The trick is learning to make your nerves work for you instead of against you. I’ve read nearly every book published on the mental aspect of sports. Most all stressed the same thing, knowing you have what it takes, telling yourself you have what it takes, and expecting to do what it takes to win. So you need to channel your nerves into a positive, I’m going to smash this next target out, attitude. cls

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Not really... it's just a game and I got nothing to lose. The targets don't shoot back and I'll still gonna eat no matter how badly I shoot.

Keller

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

as some have stated use it to your advantage it is your mind telling your body you are ready for a challange, work to control it. it takes practice and even after shooting for 40 years I "still get the thrill!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.