1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nerve-wracking .. watching son break 25 straight!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Surveyin', Jul 6, 2013.

1. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

It was a proud moment today, watching my 13 year old son run his first 25 straight in an ATA shoot today! I was so nervous! He's come a long way since his first shoot in November (45/100) and his second shoot in March (53/100). That is when we really ramped up the practice, his last several shoots have all been over 80, including an 88 and today's 87. He's looking forward to the rest of the summer, the clinic with Leo in August, the AIM Grand, and starting the school competition year sharp!!

2. perezal

perezal Member

Practice makes perfect. Great Job. Congrats!

3. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

It has definitely been all the practice that has made for his improvement. He will tell you that the only 2 things he can control are effort and attitude ... and he is the tops in both.

4. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Awesome. I am sure the clinic with Leo will be of great value.

Congratulations to him.

Kenny U

5. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

I have heard great things about Leo's work with youth. And we are lucky to live less than 20 minutes from the Rend Lake Shooting Complex. Tristan is very open to coaching, sadly I'm not much help with that. The best I can offer is drawn from my days as a competitive bowler. Routine, breathing, visualization, etc.

6. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

My son's 1st shoot-off (single's) was after a 96 (his highest score by 5 birds) against another sub-jr who was a AA shooter.

My son broke the 1st 15 while the other sub-jr was down 4 - my son missed 2 of the next 5 while the other boy literally crushed all 5. As they walked to the last station the wind picked up and my son missed his first bird and I had to turn away - my wife told me he chipped and split the last 4 targets for the win.

After 30+ year's it's still his favorite win.

7. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

It was great to see it happen. Great job and in tough conditions. Kirk

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Congratulations to your son. Cherish these days as they grow up really fast.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

9. Bkp2024

Bkp2024 Member

Congrats sounds similar to my son. Started last year at 13. Ran a couple 25's that first year. Ended year a solid 22 average. Early this year at 14 he bumped up to 23.5 or so average with a handfull of 25's. Then at the Monday sctp shoot at our state event 97 with 2 25's. But he never really even flirted with a 50. I was joking with him that if he wanted to win he needed to run the next hundred. Joking as we wernt coming to this shoot to "win" the whole thing just have fun and compete and post a good personal score. Then we walked to the line and ran all 100. After the 50 and then 75 a crowd of parents gathered. It was awesome when that last bird broke. My wife and I along with some other parents were crying as we watched our son do something we never expected as previous best straight was like 37 or so. He ended up high man in sub junior. There were better scores but by older kids. And a few of them were from out of state.

I was worried it might be a one time thing then he backed it up on state singles day with 196 with another 100 straight. Won class C. Something I think really helped was a class with Harlan Campbell Jr. I am sure Leo's class will be great as well.

It's so fun and amazing watching the kids accomplish amazing things. This coming from someone that had never shot trap competativly before he got started last year. This is a great sport hopefully your son has similar or even better experiences.

10. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

Congratulations young man! Keep your focus and you'll be a winner!

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

great job. 50 straight next

12. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Surveyin'

It's always fun to watch the kids do well.

I got to watch my son break his first 25 while shooting with him. He was shooting with his uncles and cousin too. Awesome experience.

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

My son and I were shooting this weekend and he broke his first 25. A good feeling for sure. He has had kind of a "glass ceiling" and was screwing with his head. After he broke his first 25 on the first hundred his second hundred went 24,24,24,24. It was like he got something out of his head finally and allows him to just shoot now.

14. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

Another 25 straight! The team shot 100 birds in practice this evening and he ran another 25 straight and ended with 89. They have a 200-bird AIM All-Star shoot tomorrow. T is shooting well and has lots of confidence. Wish him luck!

15. ACooper

ACooper Member

Nice to see this! Good for him!...and you ;-)

16. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Excellent!

My son's first 25 was in the GOAL Crushing Clays shoot (GOAL is the Mass. State NRA-type org.). To make matters worse.....I was scoring the squad!

So....I had to score, worry, and get my camera ready in case he did it, all at once!

LOL

He ended up coming in second after a shoot-off.

"How does it feel getting your first 25?" I asked him.

"Good. I wanted to do it before I turned 10"

We sweat their scores, more than ours.

Keep up the good work!

17. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

OK everyone, I promise not to post on here every time my son shoots ... but ... another 25 straight and 2 rounds of 92 today. He keeps improving and is very consistent. I'm so very proud of him!!

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you and your son. Enjoy the time.

19. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

Congratulations! What kind of gun does your son shoot?

20. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

He shoots a Beretta 391 Parallel Target. We have borrowed a reduced length stock off a 3901 that he is using until he grows into the original stock. The way he is growing, that won't be long.