1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Winston's Bowen story

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JerryP, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Be sure to check out Neil Winston's excellent article on Bruce Bowen's business at the back of this month's Trap & Field. Included are pictures of Mr. Bowen's underground 50yd range and shotgun test fixture. Also mentioned is a new "parametric stock-carving procedure" which involves "scanning the customer's face with a laser linked to sofware to create virtual stock model." I laughed when Neil managed to take a poke at the "read the breaks" crowd which had been a point of debate here for some time.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Jerry,

My barrel smith's test range is a lake...and he "reads the whitecaps."

You wanna fight about it?

3. J.D. Squire

J.D. Squire Member

That was a very good article about Mr. Bowen Mr. Winston put together!

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

buzz-gun, Does he deliver on time? That's the important part.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Jerry,

I suspect you're right. Most people probably spend their money without ever doing a rigorous before/after test. In fact, you could probably do _nothing_ to the barrel, and send it back, a'la Jim Brown...and they'd never notice.

But deliver it late...and sheesh...

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Still waiting for my April T&F...looking forward to Neil's article.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

http://www.bbguns.net/index.php

The Bowen website is interesting.

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I too appreciated Mr Winstons article. I was at a shoot today in Millington MD and three other people (in different conversations) mentioned enjoying the article as well. Probably all for different reasons too.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'd also like to thank Trap & Field's Editor Terry Heeg for the information she added to the article and the expert editing I always count on from her and the whole T&F staff. Put together, it is an article I am proud of, though - ahem - it is not entirely my own, and I would have supported the byline "By Neil Winston and Terry Heeg. Thanks, Terry.

Neil

10. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I read the article, If I'm wrong correct me. Looks like the Bowen is nothing more than the recreation of the original Seitz. Again, how can a potentional buyer of a 10k plus gun rely on fitting that is not done on the range. The 35 yard tunnel test only shows how the barrel performs not how the gun performs when held by the owner on the range. This is why I'm limiting my next gun to what I believe is the only gun manufacturer who really makes a gun fitted to the owner.----Dennis DeVault---Phil

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Phil, Bruce has a local range; if that's the way a buyer wants to do it, he can accommodate that wish.

Neil

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

neil winston article on trap shooting