1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Winston ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 46_trap, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

Using the 13 yard poi, how high is 1 inch at 35 yards?
    Thanx
    Bud

2. 46_trap

46_trap TS Member

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Which if you assume a 24 inch kill pattern, you would have 15 inches above POA and 9 inches below which would be about a 60/40.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

gunruner- I understand none of your post.

Try this. One inch high at 13 yards would be 3 inches high at 39 yards. Between 13 and 39 yards, the shot will fall about 2.5 inches. Plus you have to add 3 times the distance between the center of the bore and the front sight (ca. 2.5 inches). So, one inch high at 13 yards = about 3 inches high at 40 yards (I rounded off 39 yards to 40 yards).

Pat Ireland

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I like a couple/three inches as well, assuming the gun is of conventional design and no MX-2005, Mossberg High-rib, Ljutic Olympic or similar, all of which will shoot somewhat higher at bird ranges.

I just call what you have, 46 trap, "just a bit high" and leave it at that. That keeps me from continuing into calculations about target-rise and all that which have no validity in light of all the other variables involved. Instead I just stay with my 1-inch datum at 13 yards and see how it works and test shooting over and under the bird to see how that works as well to see if I should go up, down, or leave it alone.

Neil

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mark- I understood your first post to indicate that a POI 1 inch high at 13 yards would be 6 inches low at 39 yards. That is what I could not understand.

In your second post you asked "What good does a POI 3" high (or above) the target do for scores?". I do agree that three inches high at 40 yards is way too low for most shooters. That would be about a 60/40 pattern. Most shooters need a gun that shoots higher than that.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

neil winston trapshooter