1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Winston the ata members speak

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

First of all i am glad you are the new president. You are one of the few delegates that has the nerve to get on this site and respond. I thank you for that and i believe you do listen to us members. Ok ata members, let it fly. What changes do you thing the ATA needs to improve our sport and membership ?

2. smsnyder

good idea. why didn't i think of that. oh well, im just an average trapshooter.

3. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Why would we want to break Neil in "right".....I believe he has been a positive influence in the ATA leadership and an under appreciated contributor to this forum.

I look forward to the next year and his leadership. Let's not "break" anything.

Bob

4. smsnyder

you are correct, i changed it. thank you

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Some of you people just don't know a good thing when you see it. Neil is probably the best thing that's happened to ATA leadership, and you want to rake him over the coals ts.com style?

6. smsnyder

not really, i love constructive ideas and many times we don't think of everything ourselves. good ideas can and will help from time to time. i have made great moves in business because of other peoples ideas. this thread is only meant to help Neil in future decisions. some he will listen to and some he won't.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hill topper thinks "We need better members, and should require them to use spell check when posting on ts.com." Sorry that does not come under the jurisdiction of the ATA.

Bob Lawless

8. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

hill topper,

Shouldn't Hows be How's???

Tomas

9. grammie

grammie TS Member

Standardized Targets at every club that hosts an ATA event!!! standard by height,angle,speed,,,I did not say (distance)

For the sake of saying you tried it,,,,,Sponsor one handicap event at the Grand American,,that features "blind squadding" and "blind position",,,,and fill every single squad,,,,No pre-squadding--No picking squad members or post or time,,,No squad cards!!!!

There are many others,,but one of the problems of membership that involves economics is far beyond Neils abilitys to fix....

AKA Grammie...........

10. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Spell Checker, seem to be the subject of this thread.

Well if you can read this and your spell checker can not find any mispelled words, then what the hell, word useage is not a part of the topic, right:

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

11. joshif

joshif TS Member

Random squadding and shoot times. Squad 1 may shoot at 2pm, Squad 357 may start.No hand picked squads, the "pro's" and "elite" shoot with the old geezers and new shooters at the worst times of the day just like I do sometimes.Sometimes I get a good squad and at a good time of the day,those I mentioned should take the same chance that I do! Lotsa-Luck getting THAT to pass!

12. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have shot over 40 events at Sparta. I think the targer quality at Sparta is probably the worst I have shot anywhere. There is usually no consistency from bank to bank or field to field. The wind is an issue but I have registered targets for 40 years and have not seen the problem with height that seems to occur at Sparta. The idea of not using crossbars and relying on radar guns does not seem to work. I have seen setters check speed from different distances and some offer reluctance to adjust a trap. Our association used crossbars, yardage stakes, [angle stakes at some clubs], for many years. I think we saw more consistent targets and better set targets using the old standards.

Especially at The Grand, we used to have some of the best, most consistent targets of the year at Vandalia. This is not true at Sparta. I like Sparta, I have a multi year camping lease, I am not "anti Sparta".

For what it is worth, I'm not sure but, are we getting trophy crazy?? It sure seems that we are giving a lot of trophys this year and they are not as nice as in years past.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why change anything?? Some of you genius' think you know what is broke when it is just fine. Another snyder thread about nothing.

Don

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why is it always...."You fix it".....instead of...."How can I help"??

Just more Chin Music from the Peanut Gallery.

Curt - Delaware

15. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

I personaly do not like the new ( choose your own Height rule ) there should be one height for everyone, or after a fineky squad finishes on a praricular Trap the trap should be set back to the standard 22% and let the next squad decide if they want it changed, the novice shooters may not know that there is anything differant, but we all know that most everything is "about" the back fence guys.

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

How can the angles be too wide if the trap is set into the center hole and adjusted to throw straightaways, then returned to the two hole? A two hole target is a two hole target, the trap will only swing so far off straight. You can't control the wind differences from trap to trap and it WILL make a difference.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. mx12

mx12 TS Member

The ATA should go to Shoot Times. It is silly sitting out in the hot sun at any large shoot waiting to shoot, because you don't want to miss your squard. If anyone on a squad is not on time for his shoot time, he forfiets his options and has to go to the makeup trap, no exceptions.

As for making the targets harder, guess who will be happy, all the pro's and great shooters, they will hit any target you throw at them. They are the only ones that seem to make comments that the targets should be harder so their isn't as many good scores. Good targets bring good scores to the average shooter, the majority of the ATA membership is average shooters. Do you think the ATA could survive on a few pro's or great shooters?

Mick

18. smsnyder

i was a little suprised they used orange targets in the shootoffs. i thought they should have been white targets like the old grand. The classification system at this years grand was excellent. Most of the numbers came in line. I was also suprised to see the number of 27 yard shooter high scores in handicap. Most of the winners in handicap events were long yarders. i don't expect this to change unless they go to 3 hole targets. most of the big cash winners were the big dogs according to the reports. i still think if you win three major events, win $10,000 per year or more and you also teach this sport you should be in a pro class. i also don't think you should be able to pick a hole squad like kay ohye does. it's not fair to other shooters.

19. kolar12

kolar12 Member

JB---we do not use hand set traps anymore at the Grand or at a lot of other clubs. Thus, there is no two hole. It is done with smoke and mirrors!

20. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Random bank assignment at all major shoots.

They do this at the MN state shoot and it avoids the problem of people not filling squads because of not wanting to shoot on a particular bank.

You, I, the Big Dogs, etc. should be able to shoot with whomever you choose.... Part of the fun of this is shooting with your friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.