1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Winston retirement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by primed, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Neil announced that he was retiring as delegate Saturday at the MN state shoot.

We would like to personally thank Neil for all he has done for trapshooters here at home and nationwide.

When we first toyed with the idea of registered shooting in 1989, we had lots of questions and asked lots of people. Everybody told us that the best resource was Neil Winston and they were right. Neil patiently answered every question we had. As time has passed, we have attended lots of state meetings and ATA BOD meetings. In all of those discussions, Neil always offered insight into how any decision would affect all of the shooters. Not just the AAA 27 AAA but also the D 19 shooter. That is a quality we have always and will always admire. His insight into this game of ours is clear to all. His drive to do what is best for trapshooting is remarkable.

Thanks Neil! Enjoy retirement!

Bob and Mary Lou Amey

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I sure hope Neil isn't retiring from ts.com!!!<br>
    <br>
    I'm not an ATA member, but nevertheless Neil has been an asset to all trap shooters, members or not.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

W00t?

Another crotchety old fart for TS.com?

Congratulations on a career well-done!

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I hope that Neil will have even more time to be on this site.

I also hope that his decision is not due to any medical reason that has forced him to pull back.

Maybe he is tired of the bullshit and wants to have fun shooting and socializing.

All the best to you Neil,

Don Verna

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Congratulations Neil. It was a lot of work wasn't it? Lot's of personal money spent fulfilling the job too.
    Enjoy.

6. TC

TC TS Member

Congratulations Neil, Thank you for all you have done and continue to do for the sport. Tony

7. butcher

butcher Member

I haven't had the pleasure to meet you Neil but I sure do appreciate your responses about POI and other subjects I have asked about.
    Happy retirement and keep us educated through these threads.

Don

8. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

A quick note because no one else has answered yet (and as I am assuming Neil's typing skills may be challenged for a little while).

Coach and I were talking with Neil this afternoon after the shoot concluded and he did indeed sport a massive bandage on his left index (not his trigger!!) finger. He assured everyone he is just fine, that it doesn't hurt much, and he will heal in due time. I'll let him give more info if he wants to, just letting everyone know he seems good so panic does not ensue!

Heal quickly, Neil, so you can keep posting. And if you haven't already read Neil's T&F farewell go to www.mn-trap.org and click the ATA Delegate Trap & Field Page on the left, as it's wonderfully written and as humble as the man himself.

CSJ

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil and I have been friends for many years. I respect him. Many years ago he retired from the Delegate position but soon changed his mind and became a Delegate again. This time, he may not run for the position in the future but he will remain active in promoting shooting.

Neil- A personal comment to you. I am a retired Delegate and Ken Duncan is a retired Delegate and Past ATA President. Beginning tomorrow, I will be classifying and assume the role of Assistant Janitor for the club house. Ken will be working the line, repairing traps and fixing problems with the ERADS. He will also check the arithmetic on the score sheets and solve sewer problems in the camp ground. Neil-- It isn't over yet.

Pat Ireland

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Neil in his retirement. He has been a very valuable asset to our sport of Trap shooting. I hope he is able to enjoy it for many, many years.Thanks for all that you have done for us. Bob

11. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

Neil, you have done a good job. Now relax and enjoy !

Terry

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Happy retirement!

Now you can relax and shoot more often!

Thanks for doing a good job!

13. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Neil,

Time to relax and take it all in. Enjoy the times ahead. Thanks for everything you have done, and continue to do for us shooters.

Until our paths cross once again....

Thanks, Dave in NY

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Have a great retirement, Neil.

You've earned it.

Hauxfan!

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Kudos to Neil for all his hard work to improve the sport.

Now he'll have....MORE TIME FOR BALLISTICS RESEARCH!!!

16. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Hi Neil,

Organized Trap shooting is going to lose a great asset in your retirement. You are so respected for advice and sound judgement. We always see "Hey Neil" on this thread. We suspect that will continue. Thanks so much for your 20 plus years of helping our sport grow and fighting for the shooters of this country and beyond.

We will miss your articles and your writings in ATA magazine, but we sure are happy and proud to say you are from Minnesota and you are our friend. Neil you are indeed a gentleman of this sport. We will continue to look for you at our great Minnesota get togethers!

Take care Neil,
    Your Friends

Mark and Sally Stevens
    aka: Coach

PS. Heal soon!

17. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Say it ain't so, Joe.

18. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Neil

Thank you for everything. Please continue to be a part of TS, when I see your name I make sure to read the thread. You have given guidance and help to me and I am sure countless others. God speed. Jack Melitsky

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone, your comments are really gratifying to read. After twenty-some years, it was time to fade out and let others take my place. Also, I have put some other projects on hold for too long and want to get back to them, as much fun as it's been to be the Minnesota Delegate and Central Zone VP and President.

I'll be at shoots, on TS.com of course, but in my shop more and may finally figure out how to objectively measure recoil, a 15-year pursuit of mine I'm determined to master.

Ron Noren, the new Minnesota Delegate, will do as well as I ever did, just as Jeff Wagner is doing on the EC. It's very nice to move on from something you loved to another interest just as strong without any second-thoughts at all and I know I'm lucky to be able to do it.

My health is fine, save for a small portion of my left index finger which apparently went into my dog's dish with her stew meat yesterday morning. Man, you can't believe how much blood comes out of where a finger-tip should be! It's mostly fixed now and should be 100% soon, but I should have listened better to Miss Anderson in second grade who warned us about scissors and how you can cut your finger off. She was even more graphic about paper-cutters, of course, and maybe that's why I discounted the scissors thing, but it turns out she was basically right.

Thanks to you all. I hope to see you on the trapfields and let's just go out and enjoy our shared sport; that's why we all started, after all.

Neil

20. KenC

KenC Member

Neil,

Best wishes for a great retirement (& a speedy recovery!).

I have always enjoyed your postings here on ts.com & would like to give you a personal "Well Done!" for your efforts as ATA president.

Though I'm sure your replacement will do a fine job, I still think that Kyra should have succeeded you!

If your travels ever take you to Colo, be sure & stop by Delta & say "hi" to us.

Thanks again Neil,

Ken Church

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.