1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Winston/ Pat Ireland Starting Next Event

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Flench, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flench

Flench TS Member

I shoot at a very efficent running club and we were discussing when to start the next event. The club starts the Handicap after the last Singles squad has cleared the second trap. This leaves one trap between the last Singles squad and the first Handicap squad. Some say that the Handicap shouldn't be started until all the Singles squads are finished. I have searched the rule book and do not see a rule stating when each event can be started. So if there is a rule can you point me to it.

The only rule I see that might even come close is the Shooting up rule and I don't think it pertains to when the next event can be started.

Thanks Doyal Kirby

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Doyle, IMO there is no good reason (unless someone on the last squad in singles is also on the first flight of handicap) to hold the handicap until the singles are finished. Paying the trap help for standing around idle is a waste. Keep 'em moving!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I quite agree with "keep 'em moving". As much as I enjoy the game and all the people involved, I've always thought that there is way too much waiting around at trap shoots.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are no rules describing when a club can start or end an event. Different events can be held simultaneously. Some clubs have the doubles event running all day long and one just signs up when it is convenient.

I would start the handicap as soon as a field is available, but I would not have long yard handicap shooters shooting on a field adjacent to single shooters.

Anyone who has been around me at a shoot knows I like to keep things moving as fast as possible and I get frustrated when I see time wasted. I am such an extremest that as a fine shoot last week, a 10 minute call to the line was made but nearly everyone was already at the line. Ten minutes times three events worked out to nearly 150 man hours lost each day. I just do not like wasted time.

Pat Ireland

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Now, if someone could explain the "shooting up rule"?

6. biff

biff Active Member

I agree with Mike and Pat. Biff

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And I agree with biff....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. hairy

hairy TS Member

Bob Dodd is right.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

hairy has Sir Dodd pegged correctly! :) Hap

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

JBrooks- The "shooting up" rule is clear ( rule IV D 3). If singles is the first event and handicap is event II, you can't enter event I after squad one has completed event II.

The other use of the term "shooting up" (shooter is late and his squad has started without him) is not a rule. Some squads will let a late arriving shooter make up a post or two. Some will not. Courtesy means different things to different people.

Pat Ireland

11. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

The best running shoots that I have attended were at the DARIEN SPORTING GOODS Club in Wisconsin. They start the handicap when the last squad of singles is starting trap #2. The first handicap squad is short yardage. Doubles start when handicap is on trap #2.<br>
    Dave Ennis (the owner) does not have any wasted motion at his club. I've shot there when he had 20 16yard, 20 handicap and 18 squads of 200 doubles and even with a 2 hour rain delay the shoot was done by 7 pm. His trap help fills the traps between squads and really hustles. Dave and his relief help jump into the chairs and fill in so the trap help can eat lunch. Dave should give lessons to all ATA clubs.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Oh! I thought "shooting up" referred to illegal drug injections. There are already federal amd local rules about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.