1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil,can you explain this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kemen053, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Neil,I have shot and counted a couple of dozen patterns this week and have found a strange happening,the 6 or so factory 1 oz shells tested returned between 70 and 80% patterns at fourty yards.I thought this was a good result out of the old Kemen,but as always there must be something better.So to the reloader we went,slow powder,compression former case,hard shot,all factory ingredients and a published recipie,patterns returned 49-50%.In the past you have shot holes in the 7.5 verses 8's argument,and the green dot v's red dot one,how does a gun that shoots a 75% average go to 50%?.

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

053, Keep changing loads and shooting. You never know what one gun may like and another you thought was identical doesn't. Good luck, Bob

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

While, in spite of what everyone writes here, I've never been able to load shells as good as I can buy, my results are only five or ten percent worse, not as your are. Some reloaders here may have an answer; my solution is simply that when there's someone counting the dead birds, shoot factory.

Neil

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The difference may be in your denominator. To be sure you need to count the pellets in both your factory loads and your reloads. Counting one sample of each may not be enough.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Could you post some sample pics of each loading?

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Kemen053- What was your reloading recipe, powder, powder charge, hull, wad, I presume you were still using 1 ounce of shot.

Just curious what you tried. Send me a private messaage on this.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have to try me some Kemens.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it true that the Factory sells us inferior reloading components? HMB

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I do not reload, don't have or want a reloader though I understand that there are some that are superior to others based on what I have read on TS.Com over the years ...

I agree 100% with what Neil Winston says about new shells and cannot comment on reloads based on the above fact ... When it really counts buy new, it'll give you one less thing to think or worry about ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Thanks for the thoughts on this one boys,pellets were counted ,so we dont have a denominator problem,the load was aa compression formed case,Federal 209A primer,25.5 of WSF,pink AA wad and 1 1/8 of 7 shot(.100").Should do 1310 by the book,but only half of them make it to the paper,can always use them for skeet I suppose .MIA,your lucky they are not the 12C1'S you sent me,imagine sending something 1/2 way around the world and they dont work!.Pheasantmaster,do you want pics of the patterns or loaded shells,if its the shells you can hardly tell them from factory loaded ones.These were hand loaded,as in powder measured out on the scales for each shell,shot the same,press was only used for assembly.Thanks again Ross

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You are using the wrong powder for trap shells. If you want a slow burning powder use Green Dot. The only time we use WSF is for 20 guage shells. HMB

12. jhh

jhh Member

When I was younger and serious about shooting I shot only new shells. For the past few years I am content to be a "social" shooter and shoot reloads. Couple of years ago I began to try different wads in my reloads and the only two guns I shoot much definately like some wads better than others; both on the pattern paper and in how well the targets break. You might see how your guns shoot your reloads with various mfgs wads. And no, I don't think we will ever make up a reload that will do as well as a premium factory shell.
    Regards, John Hancock

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I personally don't like any your components, (except for the AA hull). I had no luck with WSF on trap loads, and why use a F209 primer? If a primer is hot, when it varies, it varies more than a cool primer. I don't like the SL wad either. I've had much better patterns with Rem wads and good ole' Windjammers, when you can find a formula that's in the book. 10/4 on hmb's comment about Green Dot. Superb powder.

14. Kemen053

Kemen053 Member

Setterman,the only reason for the federal primer is its a published load,the pink aa wad gives 78/80% out of factory AA supersport 1oz loads (1350fps).As for greendot on 1300fps loads?,not a lot of loads available and probably a touch hard on the equipment.Regards Ross

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Why is 1350fps desired? What game are you shooting?

16. headsupdesign

headsupdesign TS Member

"by the book" means nothing. You need to run them over a chronograph. 1310 is faster than you want for a high percentage pattern, try 1175, Green dot, who's hard shot (use Remington) and the Remington wad. You can handload better shells than you can buy if you take some pains.

17. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Ross, (Kemen 053)

Firstly get yourself a decent gun,that Boito you are shooting with just does not cut it, Krieghoff is the way to go.

Secondly a Nice new proper gun with factory shells mate and you wont need to go thru this crap.

Are you shooting the 2 day at Wagga-Wagga or Orange next month? if so will see you there and show you what a real gun and shells can do.

Respectfully,

"Release Trigger"

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Kemen, I was wanting pics of the patterns if you could.

Kemen, why did you test 0ne 0unce new against 1.125 reloads? Also you used 7 shot in the reload. What was the size in the factory one ounce? What brand was the shot in the reload? Did the factory loaded one ounce chorno at the same speed the factory one ounce did? Did you use the pink one ounce wad to fill the case for the 1.125 reload?

19. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

I have found American Select powder to be a better choice for 1 oz loads. For
    1 1/8 oz, I still fall back to Unique (which is VERY similar to Green Dot) Are you using AA HS hulls (the new "slick" red ones)? Those take a special wad to perform properly, in my experience. I have given up on AA hulls completely and gone to Remington STS and Nitro's. The darned AA's have so many versions that it is hard to keep them all straight and figure out which wad to use with which shell......

JMHO,
    AdamsRibs

20. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What numbers did you use as your denominators?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.