1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil & ATA - my membership check is in the mail

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Neil & the ATA,

My membership check is in the mail even though I may not be able to shoot much in 2011. 2010 has been a year of difficulties in getting to even the local ATA events. In 2010 I didn't make it to a single shoot and didn't even re-up my dues. I have two teenagers and I'm insisting on being the best dad I can be before they leave the nest and become young adults in our society. That means being there for them and doing things with them at my own expense. It takes alot to get a life (or two) started and I made the decision to have them so I'm going the whole route.

You can also take this as support for the practice of reimbursing EC members for their expenses in traveling to the larger shoots to make them happen. I've only been involved in a couple of events as a volunteer - it was alot of work and I received grief from several attendees in much the same way you are receiving grief right now. I don't understand why, but it really doesn't matter. I was able to look past it and see the positives which always seem to be balanced in life with negatives, especially when really worthy positives are present.

Let me close with this: last night I was at a local club and shot just ok, but noticed a young shooter coming back into the club house after taking his gear to the car. He went up to the young lady at the counter and politely asked for the score sheet for the squad he was just on. They dug it out of the trash. Turns out he had shot a 24 which must have been a new personal high for him. I can clearly see the smile on his face and the enthusiasm with which he looked at that sheet to be sure it was the right one. She smiled and giggled at me as the boy went out the door.

Man, that's why I do this; the personal rewards are there. Keep on.

Joe

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I envy him. Empty nest sucks.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Joe; You are exactly right. I don't know why anyone volunteers. Yes you are appreciated by a few who understand what it is you are doing but at same time you have to endure those of small brains who want to constantly creitique you. Many always think that you are doing it for some personal gain, you must have a motive for doing this.

Try getting volunteers for community boards, it's very difficult because the fear of the small minded people drive them away. The ATA in no different the small minded think that they have uncovered a major plot of corruption, mainly because they just plain don't understand. Has the EC done things the right way - NO, did the EC report things the right way - NO, was it a secret that they were getting travel money - NO. was it a secret that the out going pres. got a gun - NO. are some members worried about the wrong thing (travel exp.)- YES. God get ahold of the big picture before complaining.

Thanks for the faith.

Don

4. Don S

Don S Member

mrskeet410

The nest is only empty for a short time. They come back with new additions.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

BIGDON

"Yes you are appreciated by a few who understand what it is you are doing but at same time you have to endure those of small brains who want to constantly creitique you."

Don I don't know about anyone else but I know why I do it. Those Meatheads that you call "small brains" don't even enter into it. Most of them who want to constantly critique any that do don't have a clue to begin with. So they don't matter

Bob Lawless

6. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

You should look at the PGA TOUR, the most PROFITABLE non-profit I've worked for...they use alot of volunteers as well, scoring, tee marshals, etc. I'll gladly volunteer for help at any shoot, the shoot is way more fun than my ego is big!!1

7. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Excellent post Joe!

I've been an annual member since '85, don't know why I didn't do a life membership before but I'm converting this year!

8. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I Pay Pal-ed mine in Yesterday, Break em all.

Rick

9. bas

bas Member

What a pleasant, POSITIVE thread. Thank you Joe Kuhn!

10. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thank's for the thread Joe. I was really getting depressed reading all the rants going on here over the past few days. I was happy to see that there are some others, like myself, that still have some positive feelings about the ATA and our representatives.

Ed Yanchok

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I still have my 1st ATA card from 1964... I will re-up via snail mail today..

FRedmon

12. bas

bas Member

I still have mine, too!

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Cardinal Classic!

Can't wait, five days of shooting bliss, I will have my RV parked in the new 900 location.

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

I just sent in for 3 more years. Having been in various volunteer hot seats for several years with a small club I don't envy those that stick their hands in the air to do it for a group as large and diverse as the ATA. To loosely quote an old movie "You're a better man than I Gunga Din"

--- Chip King ---

15. joe kuhn

There are lots of ways to support the sport. Scoring practice is a nice job. I talk to the guys when they come back to see the totals. What's working, what isn't. Ask the new guys if they need any help. Give a patch away. Loan a book out... Talk about eyes on the target and pulling the trigger when the gun goes through it...

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Joe, I think you have a little something on your chin.

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe's the man...

Always positive... his glass is half-full or better!

The ATA is trap's governing body - we can't fix problems from the outside.

regards all,

Jay

18. joe kuhn

It's important to stay positive - build on what is good and right. Shot on a negative down turn squad the other day. At the beginning one guy said, "Let's get in the 20s today fellas." Somebody started noting how they were missing straight aways and before you know it they were missing alot. Lucky if they shot in the hight teens. Difficult squad to shoot on for me. Good practice, but difficult.

Keep your chin up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.