1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil, a polite question regarding shotshells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdshooter, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdshooter

birdshooter TS Member

Dear Neil,

Instead of engaging in the other less-than pleasant thread regarding ATA Shotshells, I decided to create my own thread to ask two direct questions.

1)You indicated that there was a plan to update/clarify ATA Rule 13(F)(3) regarding legal shells as defined by the ATA. Does this plan include a definition of a _minimum_ payload load?

2)Upon occasion I shoot a 24 gram, 1340 fps factory load. We both know that echnically this shell is slightly smaller than a 7/8 oz shell. Based on my read of the current rule I am not exceeding the 1 1/8 oz load mandate nor the 1350 fps speed mandate for the 7/8 oz shell. I think I am being legal. Can you please confirm that you read the rule the same way? If we differ can you please tell me your interpretation.

Thank you for you time,

birdshooter-

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Birdshooter, the update I referred to encompasses but two small changes. One is already in the August, 2007 EC minutes, available on the ATA website and showing up this way, in general:

The previous rule set 1350 as a max for 7/8 ounce loads but was silent on 24 grams. The rule now says 7/8 or lighter, capping 24 grams at the same 1350.

The underlying principle for all this 1290 fps and so on is the old "3-dram load." That's what we are trying to adhere to. But I think you will find that if you go to the powder sites you will not come away with a clear definition of what a 3-dram 24 gram load is. So we just included 24 grams and lighter under the 7/8 oz. umbrella at least for the present.

There is no lower limit on shot weight.

The loads you are using are legal.

Thank you for your question. It's a pleasure to deal with a person who actually shoots and has a clear question to ask (and I have the answer to it.)

Neil

3. Neil Winston

Tim, I'm just not handling "policy" questions like this anymore. I responded to birdshooter because the answer "was cut and dried" and he had a clear reason to expect an answer: Where his shell legal or not? As the chairman of the rules committee, when I see a question like I feel I am required to reply.

I've got a life to lead. I have to allocate my time in ways that meet my own needs. This self-imposed restriction on the (much, much reduced) time I will be spending here - and by implication, what I will address - is what makes sense to me at this time. I hope you will respect my decision in this regard.

Neil

4. bas

bas Member

Neil - no questions - just a thank you for all of the data and input you have given to this forum over the years. I hope you will continue to share data with us as you test various "stuff"...it is always interesting even when technically, it is "above my head"...thanks again.

5. Neil Winston

Of course, Betty. In fact, one of my happiest moments here recently was a was a poster who read an old absurdly-technical thread of mine when it first appeared and couldn't make heads or tails of it, but now, a year later, and using everything else here - not just mine but everybody's - , he "gets it." So don't count yourself out quite yet.

My choices are pretty stark. I can spend hours daily here typing what amounts to blah, blah, blah, or instead spend them slogging through a pitifully few of the the 600+ pages of a Dreamweaver manual and get, over time, my own website up to speed & up to date, where all the "stuff" you refer to will find a open-door home. So should I slug it out with someone here only to end in a draw on a thread which will, in but a day or two after the last blow is landed , disappear into the vast cyber-dumpster where 99% of what you read here today will be next week, or should I spend my time on something that will last, with luck, long after I'm gone?

Thanks for the pat on the back; see you soon at a shoot.

Neil

6. birdshooter

birdshooter TS Member

Neil,

Thank you for your quick response.

BTW, you last article/thread on pattern spread as relates to shell speed was fascinating.

Thanks again for all you do.

birdshooter-

7. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Niel,,,,thanks for all the junk you have to put up with,,,I would love to know your web site address when it is up,,,,I am a former motorcycle and auto racer,,,keep up the good work,,,,and I saw your name written on the wall this past weekend,,,,no not the bathroom wall,,,,the 200 X 200 wall at Hog Heaven,,,Bill Goscinski ATA # 02 11236

8. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Let me add my personal thanks, too, Neil. Any thread with your name associated with it in any way gets a thorough read by me. And I would also like to know your website addy when it is hot. I hope you'll come on here and let us know.

I have a feeling you may have been one of the participants in a clinic given by Phil Kiner up in St. Paul which I attended. It was a 2,300 mile round trip drive but I'd do it again in a minute: Great clinic and WONDERFUL people!

Steve Oehmen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.