1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Neighbor Shoots My House -Update-

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

My neighbor, who lives about 200 yards to the north of my house was practicing shooting with his daughters yesterday. They were shooting from about 30' lower elevation and mostly 22 LR. I heard a couple of the 22s obviously ricochet up through the trees over head. Kind of a ziiippppp crack tap as they went through the trees. Then I heard a larger Caliber gun with couple ziiiipppp thuds seeming a bit lower in the trees. I called his house to let him know his back stop was not working, of course he was not in the house. As I was trying to decide if i needed to run over to his house, I heard a a ziiiiiippp POP TANG! About 10' ft from were i was standing on my porch I saw a hole in my Gutter and wall. I immediately went to my neighbor to tell him that his back stops not working and HE HIT MY HOUSE!. He was incredulous that he hit my house. He pointed to his target he was shooting with a 9mm and said it could not have been from me I'm shooting down hill, then he conceded that it could have been a ricochet, but he still didn't seem to get the seriousness of the issue. I think he's lucky I'm a gun person otherwise he would have had the Sheriff crawling all over his property. I dug the bullet out of the wall- there seems to be no indication it ricochet off of anything, which makes me think he was doing some hot shot plinking in my direction and he doesn't want to admit it.
    My wife think i should have forced the guy to come look at where it hit the house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your nicer than i would have been neighbor or not. I have two sons and a wife and i'm sure you value your family as much as i do mine. Do whatever it takes for him to understand the seriousness of his actions. If that means getting the law involved then so be it. It doesn't sound as if the nice guy tactic worked very well. He sounds as if he doesn't have much concern for your family.

3. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I'm darn glad nobody got hurt and really glad it wasn't a 7.62x25. I can just hear the damn flack I would be getting if it was from the people on here.. Not that it would not be deserving.

I'm glad you took pictures of it. Another wake up call. Getting lax, being careless can and does happen. I hope he shoots in another direction next time.
    You might want to still notify the law. Are you sure he won't do it again. Rather have a pissed off neighbor than you or yours' hurt or worse. Ken U

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Irresponsible a$$holes like your neighbor bring heat on all gun owners. Not to mention risking the lives of you and your family.

Matt is right -- being nice doesn't work with a POS like this.

-Gary

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The way your neighbor handled this is not acceptable in my book.

For me, if he is a nice neighbor in general, coming over to inspect the damage, apologize with offer to repair, then promise this will never happen again will be good enough for me. Anything less than this is not acceptable. And that's based on if he is a nice neighbor to start with.

If he is indeed a nice neighbor in general, give him a second chance to make it right (most importantly, never happen again), otherwise, call the local authorities you did what you can, you don't need this. Bullets hitting your house is a serious matter.

6. Crickets

Crickets Member

he did immediately say he would pay for any repairs, but as you can see there really isn't any "cost" on this damage - a little caulking in the gutter holes. But I think what i was surprised about was that the didn't seem concerned enough to come by this weekend or call. I can understand at the moment i told him he was with his Daughter and Niece, and may not have wanted to concern them. Although, I'm certain he wont shoot in this direction again, he has lots of other directions to shoot from where he stages. But at the end of the day I think I would have felt better if he came buy yesterday evening or today. I guess i will follow my wife's advise and have him come over to look at where the bullet hit.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Feel lucky that nothing trajic happened "this" time. If there is a next time shame on you. Inform your neighbor no more shooting in his backyard, if one shot is fired then the law comes and you also show them your house from first time and you will press charges.

One of the main rules of shooting: Know your background.

Don

8. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Chris, Bigdon's got the right idea. That idiot needs educated, now not later.
    That's scary stuff. On a lighter note, how's that new gun working for you? J.Woolsey

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Bigdon has it almost right....

Your wife is absolutely right too. You contact your neighbor, drag his butt up there and show him the damage and also hand him a quote you have already obtained to have the damage repaired. No, he's not doing it, and neither are you, a licensed contractor will. Now you have a third party that will attest that he repaired a bullet hole in your downspout and vinyl siding. Once the repairs are done, take the bullet to your local law enforcement agency and tell them what happened but that you are not going to press charges for now but want it on record that the incident occurred. They will probably come out and take a look anyway. Now let your neighbor know that he is done shooting in his yard and if you a hear so much as one shot, the law will be notified again. The fact you pulled that slug out yourself would probably not work out well for you in court. He could just say you went down to his range and plucked it off the ground. Had it been removed from the wall of your house by the police, different ball game.

JK

10. grntitan

Don't forget to show him the bullet and make sure YOU keep it. I still say i'd call the law and have it entered as evidence or at least a report made.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

That neighbor and I would be having a problem and I would report him just to cover your own butt ... He would of came to see the damage or he would of been reported to the Police without a doubt ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

It's this kind of stuff that gives gun owners a bad name. What would have happened if you had been standing there?

I have a hard time believing that a ricochet could travel 200 yards with enough force to do the damage you showed.

13. Crickets

Crickets Member

I am stopping by his house this evening for a little heart to heart. I appreciate y'alls input. I was giving him a the benefit of the doubt because I don't think he 1. Realized he was indeed shooting towards my house as he is looking up through 100yrds of old growth forest past his target area and cant see the house at all. Plus my house sits up about 30" higher in elevation than where he was shooting from. 2. has shot dozens of times before without a problem, I think he just ended up a few degrees more to the right than he usually shoots and 3. there is a pretty good size burm he was shooting into. However, I think i was probably too "understanding" in my 1st discussion with him. I'm pretty laid back by nature and probably did not show my concern as much as I was should have. I originally though it was a ricochet, but once i dug out a complete intact 9m bullet w/ the rifling marks and no other damage I got more upset. I don't know why, but I was more able to forgive a damaging ricochet, but a full bullet smacks of complete negligence/ disregard for safety.
    I did a complete survey of the house and found no other bullet damage, but i wonder if i should tell my other neighbor to side of me to inspect his house, especially his roof. His roof would be a bout he level of my porch/down spout- (you can see the house in the background of the bullet hole picture)

I moved into this neighborhood specifically because it allows for us to be able to shoot from our "back yards" (We all have 3-6 acres), so commanding that he no longer shoots is.....well........ shooting myself in the foot. Almost Everyone on our road shoots, and on most weekends, between our road and the surrounding area, you hear gun shots almost all day long from somewhere within a mile radius. Sooo, I don't necessarily want to get the sheriff involved, unless i get some real attitude back.

Again thanks for your input. It makes me feel more confident that making a deal over this is justified. I did not want to be the neighborhood "square" and all.

14. grntitan

With all due respect, after reading your last post i sort of question whether any of you have a safe background or area to shoot. Just because you have 3-6 acres does not guarentee a safe backstop or direction. I think it a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. Glad i'm not in your area.

15. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...the bullet in the photo does not exhibit ricochet damage. In other words it appears to have traveled directly. Also appears to have traveled thru both sides of the aluminum downspout and then thru the plastic siding. My guess is that a ricochet would have bounced off the siding and the bullet would be literally flat on one side.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

For me, 6 acres isn't enough land for me to shoot on that has houses around it.

I would have a second conversation with the neighbor and try to keep everything civilized. He would be paying for the damage on the home and I would definitely have it done by a licensed contractor just o cover all aspects. Make sure to take and keep a lot of photo's documenting everything with the accompaning bullet that was extracted from the house.

Irresponcible gun handling has no place to hide. I have a zero tolerance for this as that was the way i was brought up. It is very easy to "pull a shot" with a pistol especially for someone new. A 9mm bullet has no problem traveling 200+ yards.

ss

17. Crickets

Crickets Member

grntitan,
    After this weekend I might agree. But really we are in a very hilly area, there is a flood plain/river behind use. Kind of a bowl with a river running through it. I Myself shoot into a 20' embankment that i lined with a stack of logs 10' high- so I have a vertical backstop. - I only have about 50 yards of open space so I am shooting right into the hill, and i set up as close to that stop as i am shooting. MY targets are always at the stop. The Burm behind my Neighbor's house is about 100 yrds from where he was shooting from. He had his pistol target set up about 15 yrds in front of him, and he was shooting "down" to the target,but the stop was 85 yrds down the way. At the end of the day I think it comes down to safe gun operation. I have a feeling he was letting his Daughter or Niece (about 13 -14 yrs old) shoot his 9mm and they lost control or he was doing some random "quick draw" shooting. With all that being said. I think you are right in the fact that we don't all have a "safe" range. A safe range would not allow a "unintentional" fire to hit another person property, unless it dropped from the sky above. I am sure his "range" could be made "safer" by changing the direction of his fire by about 15degrees, but more importantly installing a vertical wall of some sort, and shoot as close to that Back Stop as possible.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shooting into an occupied dwelling is a felony. (accidental or not). Just because your neighbor is a 'gun guy' doesn't give him a free pass on this. Probably too late to call the sheriff but you may want to let your gun guy friend know that he did commit a felony and if were to involve the law then he probably wouldn't be allowed to own firearms as a result.

19. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Excuse me for saying, but IMO you are a damn fool for not reporting this to the authorities!!Irresponsible jackasses like your neighbor have NO business owning firearms! My backside neighbors were shooting my house with a paint ball gun! They got turned in! It only happened one time! I've never meet my neighbor and probably never will!

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Many (most?) people are ignorant of exterior ballistics and what bullets are capable of doing when fired. Small arms fire is extremely unpredictable.

Ranges spend lots of money to ensure a projectile never leaves the property.

It doesn't sound like the neighbor appreciates the gravity of the situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.