1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Negotiating 4 a gun, brings out the best & worst?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    The art of negotiating a price for a shotgun can bring out the best and worse in buyers and sellers. Being a trap shooter for the past 41 years I have seen both sides of isle. Rather if you are purchasing a new gun from a shop, or private seller, or selling to either one, can bring out the best and worse in people.

Let's face it, if you are selling a firearm, you would like to get the most for this item. If you are a buyer, you'd like to get this item for as little as possible. This is where the problem usually starts.

One gentleman that I always enjoyed purchasing and selling to was Frenchy Frigon. He treated me with respect which counts for a lot in my book. If I was purchasing a gun, I'd ask him what's his best price? If I was selling a gun to him, he would always say "Pardner how much do you want for the gun"? I will tell you yes or no on your price. When I dealt with Frenchy, I never had a problem.

On the other hand, it doesn't take long before shooters get to know who are the jerks to deal with in purchasing or selling a gun in this business. I will not print any names but some treat customers with little or no respect. Some buyers are the same, and that's unfortunate.

Buying and selling to private owners and sellers you can run into the same situation, good and bad. I have always believed that a gun sale, or a trade should benefit both parties, and leave them both happy. Nothing worse than taking someone in a trade. The news quickly spreads through out the gun club.

One of the worst trades and deceit I have ever heard to be true happened a few years ago at a local club on a Wednesday night. Shooters who look for deals like to prey on the newer less experienced shooter. It usually starts with the act of attempting to help a shooter, than the trade is offered. It usually benefits the more experienced shooter to say the least.

An older gentleman came out to this gun club late one Wednesday night, and most of the league shooting was over. He came up to one particular shooter and said his son passed away and he was selling his gun. It happened to be a Perazzi, and the gun was really worth anywhere between $1,700 to $2,000.00. The buyer said it was worth $700.00 and the father said that he would go into the club house and ask others what they thought it was worth as he thought it was worth more. As soon as the guy started walking towards the club house the potential buyer called a friend of his inside the club house using his cell phone and told him to tell everyone that when this guy wants to know how much the gun was worth say $500.00 to $600.00. The seller came in and that is what he was told. Shortly after the guy came back out and sold the Perazzi for $700.00 to the original guy that he first spoke to.

Getting the hots for a particular gun can really increase the selling price should the seller find out. On the other hand when a seller needs the money and is forced to sell a gun, his price is usually not close to being met either.

So whats the answer? Like I said previously in the art of negotiating a deal it will usually work out best for both parties if you are both happy with the deal. As you know this is easier said than done. Like in other sports when major league teams swap players, it benefits both teams if the players are healthy, and have good up comming years with their new club. Nothing worse than having a player have hidden injuries that are brought out to the surface after the deal is made.

On your next deal, either buying or selling, suggest be honest, and try not to take advantage over the buyer or seller. It can hurt you down the road as the word spreads quickly through out the shooting fraternity.
    Steve Balistreri

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

The guy selling the Perazzi didn't do his homework beforehand....and he got robbed.

Likewise, an unscrupulous seller could take advantage of a unsuspecting buyer who didn't do his homework beforehand and end up paying out the nose for a gun that isn't really worth what he bought it for.

It pays to do your homework....if more people did this, there would be less instances of "raw" deals happening.

3. copper

copper Member

To tell someone that a gun is worth half or less when you know different is just wrong. To say I can only afford to pay a certain amount regardless thats OK, or willing to pay. That guy that told his buddy to lie should both go to hell. I would tell that story to all my friends, if he is a dealer that would cost him dearly. Dave

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

That story makes me sick. Not only is that guy a piece of sh-t, so are all of his "buddies". Not only did he rip him off, he also did it to a person who just lost his son. They all could use a nice kick in the ass, or two.

5. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I would think someone who would take advantage of someone who is suffering with the loss of family and would ask his freinds to lie for him would probably cheat on his score and ask his buddies to see mythical chips.

Integrity carries through to all aspects of life..as was said earlier if you say I am a buyer at X $ is one thing to lie to someone who is putting trust in you is another..We all like a good deal to take advantage of a novice borders on theft.

My opinion Buster

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

'smoke,

Do you think outloud just so you can hear yourself talk? The stupid s**t you come up with amazes me!

ss

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

SS be nice..

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

SS. be nicer.

9. senior smoke

buster45:
    Interesting, that you you mention that this same guy and his friends would ask his buddies to see mythical chips. One year at the annual 5 man team shoot, this same guy and 4 of his buddies were suspected of exactly what you just said. My best friend always recited the old saying about " Birds of a feather" etc.
    Steve

10. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

There are Gun Vultures at every club. There are a fair share of Gun Vultures on this site. Thankfully there are also a lot of good guys in this hobby. I've had countless good experiences over the years. But if guys are going to get skinned on a gun deal, the same guys get taken in by realtors, car salesmen, bankers, politicians and other assorted con artists. These guys don't really bother me other than feeling sorry for their victims, because they don't get too far down that road with me. What bothers me more are the tire kickers who waste everyone's time and the low ballers who assume that I must need to sell a gun. I would rather drop it overboard in the Chesapeake.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

After re-reading the post by Senior Smoke, I have retracted my comments... with my apologies and thanks to Skeetman for pointing out my misunderstanding.

Jay Spitz

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"One of the worst trades and deceit I HAVE EVER HEARD TO BE TRUE" (caps mine).

Spitter- I think this statement says it all. He wasn't actually there, heard about it after the fact.

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yeah, as if it never happend!

ss

14. buster45

buster45 Active Member

Bridgetofar

I resent the implication you made about Realtors...I have been a Realtor for over 30 years been involved in over 7000 Real Estate transactions from a few thousand to multi million dollar deals I have yet to have a complaint filed against me!!!!

As I said earlier it is a matter of integrity! Not every salesman is a crook or every buyer a theif!!!

Buster

15. senior smoke

Jay Spitz:
    I heard about this situation, I was not there at the time. If I was there, I would have told the guy exactly what I thought the gun was worth. In fact, the way I and others found out about this situation was the guy who purchased the gun was bragging how much he got it for and one thing lead to another and the whole story came out.
    Steve

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Captain Obvious.

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Buster, is you math correct? That's 233 deals per year or basically one for every single business day of every week, month, year, decade.

18. buster45

buster45 Active Member

Yes sir my math is correct..I have been an active Realtor and a Real Estate Broker for almost 35 years.I have managed offices with over 100 agents been the Realtor for Sub divisions that had hundreds of lots in them.I did not say I have sold that many myself I said I had been involved in that many transaction and that is deffintely correct.

Buster

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

In my 42 years of shooting registered trap, buying and selling and trading the best to do business with that I found were the following and not necessarily in that order.

Roger Jack

Dawsons

Frenchy Frigon

Merlyn's

Hi-Grade

Bob Schultz

Pete McCall

Indiana Gun Club

Steve Smith

Buying New w/o trade

Guns Un-Limited

Steve Smith

Bob Shultz

Silver Seitz direct

Allem's

Hal Dupont

Jim Blaschak not too many know him.

And I probably forgot some.

Best gentlemen's to deal with were Roger Jack, Merlyns, Steve Smith very fair &
    nice to talk to and dicker with.And after sales warranty.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hmmmm a real estate agent protesting a remark of less than stellar implications??

As an old saying goes...kick a sleeping dog, they'll bark!

Hahaha....now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.