1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** Needs for starting a new trap club ***

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I was talking with someone and it came around to what it would take to start a new commercial trap club. This would be a business and not a club type activity.

I could come up with the following issues that would have to be addressed:
    land use/zoning, building and shelters including storage, office equipment & supplies, noise, lead control, water/sewer, garbage/trash pick-up service, electrical including lighting, telephone/internet, parking, landscaping, legal representative, security & safety perimeter (both building and grounds), financial/tax recordkeeping, refreshments/food, advertising, liability insurance, fire, flood, general property related insurances, vehicle and vehicle insurance, neighboring land owner relations, furniture both indoor and outdoor, possible gun/ammo sales and need for a FFL, traps & spare parts, voice pull equipment, trap houses, targets, employees (both full & part-time), need for tools (standard & trap related things like speed gun, height poles etc.), ATA registration, scheduling, special programs (youth, ladies, seniors, leagues), memberships in groups related to business (NRA, ATA, CoC, Tourist Promotion & Advertising, Web page creation & maintenance, etc.), donations requested from different groups, highway access, contacts with various people-conventions etc. Market research to determine the region's ability to support such an activity on a sustained long-term basis. For many of the things there would be one or another government issued permit or license needed.

There would also be the question of shooting hours, other shooting services (skeet, sporting clays, bunker, wobble, other? ), costs for shooting, cost of membership, initiation fees, rental of facilities, sales of gun and reloading related items (Pro Shop?), new shooter instruction services, videoing of events and activities for shooters. Not directly related to profit but potentially serving public relations interests, scheduling fundraiser for charity and such. Given adequate interest, land, and services availability there is also a potential to generate camping related. income.

On the profit generating side money could come from: memberships, initiation fees, shooting fees, ammo and gun sales, facilities rental fees, banquet & catering fees, refreshment food and snack sales, possible gunsmith services?, other?

I am sure that I probably missed at least as many items to consider as I have listed. What do you see as not listed but needed to be remembered for starting a trap (or shooting) club? Do you have any other thoughts or considerations?

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The National Association of Shooting Ranges promotes the development of state-of-the-art target shooting facilities/entertainment centers and promotes and protects target shooting facilities by providing leadership in information, communication, and partnerships between ranges, industry, and community.

http://www.rangeinfo.org/

3. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Money - You'll need LOTS of $$$$$$$

4. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

The best way to make a small fortune with a gun club is to start with a large one.
    Sonny

5. balance365

balance365 TS Member

Forgot grounds equipment, ie) mowers, weedeater, edger, snow blower etc.

6. Joe P.

Joe P. TS Member

I just considered the mowers etc. as part of the landscaping expenses. They weren't forgoton but thanks for bring up that item.

7. JLW

JLW TS Member

Legal fees and a lawyer on retainer?
    You mentioned it but equally as important would be a prior relationship with the DEQ as I believe that is most likely where the attack on gun clubs will originate in the future.-Jerald

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If you can't make money running a gun club, it's because you aren't running it right or your really chose a bad location.

9. Joe P.

Joe P. TS Member

One other thing was brought to my attention, wheelchair access. That includes building, rest room, shooting stations, and where ever else a person may require access. If a major rebuild or new construction is involved then ADA compliance must be included in the process.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

ADA applies in all new construction. this includes rest rooms, dor width, ramps if necessary. All public occupied buildings, no exemptions.

You might have a problem with membership sales if you are trying to have a for profit business. If this is commercial, a one man show eliminates arguments.

Sell punch cards at a discount and avoid the hassle of membership list keeping, paperwork, and criticism.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stating a trap shooting business