1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Needing wisdom on an affordable Doubles Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I've come to the conclusion that the Ljutic Mono is just not going to work for me in doubles, so am looking for suggestions on a good entry to mid level doubles gun. The Browning XT has been mentioned, and sounds like a contender. I need to keep it affordable as I'll be in for some stock work ($) just to make it fit my 6'6" frame, so the K-80's are out for now. Suggestions?
    dju, Omaha, NE

2. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

The Beretta 680/682/687JEG should be on that list too.

3. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I would try one of the "B" guns if you find one you can shoot or have modified for you. A lot of value in them, IMHO.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The XT is a great gun and I think you might be under-rating it in your mind. The other choice in that price range is the good ol 682 Beretta - (my choice).`

I know there are mcuh more expensive shotguns out there but high price tags don't influence the targets much. Spending $2K on a gun and then $8K on ammo will do more for your doubles game than just buying a $10K gun.

5. rondl

rondl Member

I have a 30" Winchester Select Energy Trap with the non adjustable comb if you have any interest. Made in Belgium. I would rate it at 95%. Gun functions perfectly.

6. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I shot a Browning XT 32" O/U for a while. A good value and easy to resell. I'm 6'5" and with an adjustable buttplate was happy with fit. Good luck.

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I also find it hard to shoot doubles with my Ljutic. I have bought several used O/U's and tried them all. My preference is an old Belguim Browning Broadway Trap. I also have an XT that I like a lot. I also am a big guy (6'4") so I personally prefer 32" barrels. Guns that I bought that do not come close to fitting me (so I have not shot them) are a Rem 3200 (30") and an older Browning Citori (32"). The 3200 and the Citori are for sale. Both tight guns but the Citori looks as though it has less than a case of shells thru it and is VERY NICE. Marc

8. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I too shoot a Mono gun and recently picked up an XT for doubles. I was lucky and had the choice of several used ones at the local shops. In my experience used XT's can have very different "feels". One felt right, the other did not. Mine is an older 10 year old model with Montecarlo comb.

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Here's a hell of a deal on a Beretta 682: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=296966

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Browning Citori Plus and a Recoiless/Jones pad adjustor. Around $1200-$1500 and will be adjustable to begin with. Heck, you might even get it to fit you like your Ljutic. It's either that or a combo gun. Good luck.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Don't forget to look at a Rem 3200!

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I second the motion for a Remington 3200. The barrels are separated like a K-80 and the POI of the lower barrel can be adjusted by changing the hanger. It also has mechanical triggers that are very fast. And last but not least they are affordable. HMB

13. rwtii

rwtii Member

Entry Level is Stoeger, which is owned by Benelli, which is owned by Beretta. 680 series Berettas have won a lot of tournaments. $2k to $4k. Perazzi owns the trap market for a reason. Used Perazzi trap guns show up pretty frequently. They can be had for $3500 to $5k, often with adjustable stocks that you will have to lengthen or adjust. Add a recoil reducer and you have the length of pull you might need.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'm kinda partial to the Browning Superposed. If you can find an ST-100, I'd say buy it.

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I agree with every thing Wolfram said about the XT. I also own a Winchester Select Energy, and I think they are under rated and unfairly maligned. I have a recoil reducer inside the stock, and coupled with the 30 inch barrels, it swings very fast. I have just started shooting doubles so I certainly am no expert, but I think this gun will be fun to shoot. Martinpicker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.