1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Your Ideas - Really

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tonygrz, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

I recently bought an SKB 500 on GunBroker. It was advertised as being a "trap" gun. It had all the right stuff - 30" barrel, double beads, choked F/IM, non-auto safety, and a rather straight trap stock. On an SKB forum site I was told that SKB never made a 500 trap. But it shoots very, very flat. I'm missing a lot of targets and the ones I'm hitting I'm blowing the skirt off the targets. Not getting a good break. And I tried three different brands of ammo. It's a great looking and feeling gun that I can't hit anything with.

A guy I was shooting with tried it out and verified that it was a very flat shooting gun. He suggested I open the chokes to Skt/Skt and use it as a skeet gun. (No pink tutu jokes please). Another guy at the club said I should have screw-in chokes installed and make a sporting clays gun. And a third shooter said I should have it re-ribbed with a higher rib and have an adjustable stock put on it. No one mentioned the idea of going to the next gun show and trading it for a good 45 auto.

The idea of opening the chokes is the least expensive. And a lot of skeet shooters are going to 30" barrels. And the other options are well over the $400 mark. So what are you're suggestions ????

Thanks for the replies. I will really take them into consideration.

Tony G (texas)

2. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Re-sell it and use the $ to get a gun more suited to your needs.

3. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

I don't recall wether they made a 500 trap model but I do know that they had a 30" full/mod field gun. My memory (not being much) seems to think the model 600 and 700 were there trap guns. A straight trap style stock could have been added at some time as these haven't been produced for over 25 years.

4. Satch

Satch TS Member

Unless they're defective all guns shoot straight. It's the relationship of your eye to the rib that determines how high a gun shoots. If you like the gun have an adjustable comb put on it and raise the comb until you get the POI you want.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Get a few packs of moleskin to add to the comb and blast away. Hap

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

What Hap said. Or, there are commercial comb raiser products out there that peel and stick. They work pretty good. Jake

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

What Hap said. Get the comb up using pad on the comb. Then decide if you like it well enough to invest in an adjustable stock possibly. Otherwise trade it for something you can try before you buy.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why do anything with the gun at all? Either use it for skeet or sporting clays if you shoot those sports or use it as it is for trap. You did say your breaking the skirts off the targets so your breaking targets so just what is your exact problem?

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Weatherby used that action in their Orion trap model. This was also a very flat shooting gun. In fact, my pal used it for duck hunting in the last year before mandatory steel shot.

They are solid guns other than the POI issue. However, you don't need to bust your hump fixing it since the market is rife with other good guns.

Put a Cheek-eze on it of a nice thick variety for a few bucks and blaze way.

If you want to keep it do a tapered add on rib.

HM

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sell it and buy a real gun, take what ever loss you have to and dunp it ... ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

My guess is that it's a 600. I have one of those and like it. Mine does have a Monte Carlo stock and even with that, it does shoot flat compared to my XT.

After re-reading your post though it appears that the gun is in good condition and, other than the problem of it shooting flat, you like it. Try what has been suggested here and use some temporary method to raise the comb to see if you like it even more.

Then you can decide if you want to spend a couple bucks for an adjustable comb or, depending on how you went about building up the comb, just shoot it with the adjustments you made.

Just make sure that you are happy with the bead alignment/sight picture when you get it high enough to shoot where you look. Otherwise you would have to add in the cost of an aftermarket rib to make it something you would still be happy with.

12. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

Thanks for the ideas - really, even the bowling ball !!! I really hate to sell a gun after I buy it. From your ideas, I think I'll play around with some type of padding and duct tape (1002 uses) and raise the level of the comb. If that doesn't work for me, I'll just bore it out and make a skeet gun out of it.

Thanks again,

tony g (texas)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.