1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need your ideas for an ideal trap house

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

One of my trap clubs is replacing a bend-down crawl-in type trap house with a pitted, walk-into, PAT-trap compatible type. It's going to be a major project, and I'd like to incorporate as many great ideas as possible into the design. To that end, I'd like your ideas on the 'ideal' trap house, any thoughts at all. Many thanks.

Porcupine

ps. I have the schematic from rangeinfo.org

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Is a 42" plasma with satelite and dvd out of the question? If it is I guess the pool table would be out as well.

3. Robb

Robb Member

Don't know where you are but Blackwing in Delaware Ohio has walk in houses and they are as nice as I've seen. They might have blue prints. blackwingsc.com

4. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

I put the best rolling roof I've ever seen on a trap house on mine.

I first installed two 2" angle iron with large castors every foot on the left and right walls so that the castors were just above the bricks. These were bolted to the walls with redhead anchors.

Next I built the framework for the rolling roof, this time using 1” angle iron. When the frame was done I turned it over and attached 1”x ¼” U channel on the underside to ride on the castors. After this was done and the frame was turned back over and set in place I covered it with ¾ “ ply wood then bolted water proof decking boards to the sides back and front as skirting for the rolling roof. The front was cut out for the castors and brick walls when rolling back. Because of the cutout the front of the roof goes about 6” over past the front wall so there is no problem with water getting in the house during a rainstorm. I then did tar paper and roll roofing over the top to make it water proof. You can install catch hooks and bracket inside so when the roof is rolled forward and locked it will not blow off or lifted up, even though it would take three or four guys to do so.

This is a heavy well-built roof that looks good and rolls as smooth as glass. I just don’t understand why more traps aren’t built like mine. It sure makes getting in to load a lot easier.

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

The design would differ based upon the elevation of the house and surrounding ground around it, existing water table etc. A walk in would likely need to have sloping ground in front. Porcupine, you are from Mass right?? Email me, drop the xx'x xxstepsavah@yahoo.comxxx -Frank C

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Ben Avery Shooting Complex, north from Phoenix, AZ, has the nicest traphouses I've seen. No bending down, no hopping in. It has stairs from ground level to the working floor. I wish I'd had them back in the day.

7. Full Choker 25

Full Choker 25 TS Member

Are club extended the frount of the trap fondation out so you can have a stair well going down facing the other side of the trap. and this is all concreat. so it can hold up in the snow in the great state of michigan

8. guncase

guncase TS Member

An outfit in Omro, Wisconsim makes precast houses. I have heard they are great. Deep enough to walkin , and not too expensive. Large consideration would be delivery. I think Janesville gun club used 6 of them. Randy Blieler would know the contact number. Paul

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok what about all of the roofs that does come up and moves most of the time at the clubs I shoot at they will have someone just go down and stay there and load it while the squad is shooting then they come out after that round is over.

Im sure with the moveable roofs that one still could still stay in the house with the roof put back in place couldn't they.

Foghorn

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My club added a field and replaced the other houses a few years ago and I was given the task of laying things out. Like a lot of older trapshooters, I carry an extra pound or two, so crawling into and out of a trap house is not one of my strong suits. For the new ones, I had the ground terraced so it dropped down about five feet from a line drawn across the back walls of the houses to the front walls of them. That made them truly walk-in houses and also yielded the added benefit of target debris out in front of the houses not being visible from the firing line, so the targets are much easier to visually acquire.

For a roof, our trap house contractor used one-inch marine plywood covered with rubber roofing material. They've been strafed by errant shot charges many times and only now that they are pushing ten years old are they starting to show signs of wear and tear. The houses also have a stone drainage bed around the exterior of the walls covered with bark mulch and we've had absolutely no moisture problems in the houses.

Ed

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Our house has 1/2" steel plate roof, painted flat green, 5+ years now and still no rust! Other than some paint, it will NEVER need maintenance.

12. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

ttt, as long as this thread stays on topic, LOL!

Thanks for the responses so far.

Porcupine

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

A true walk-in house. Jim

14. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Good idea, Jim101! Thanks! I'll make a new thread for photos!

But keep the ideas coming here! Thanks!

Porcupine

15. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Ours looks very similar to the one in the picture except we have a concrete wall enclosing the bottom half of the front and we use with wooden doors that swing open on the top half The lower concrete wall has a removeable wooden door (slides up tracks from the inside so you can walk in). The bottom of the door is 8 inches above the ground to keep out water and such. The entire trap house is really like a sealed concrete bunker with no openings big enough for mice to get in when its closed up. As someone said slope the front to keep out the water.

Hawk,

16. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

17. jackw

jackw Member

One recommendation that I haven't read is to put a small electrical breaker box in the traphouse. We had some electrical problems in our traphouse and solving the problem would have been much easier with a distribution panel in the house.We are going to install them in our traphouses this summer. That way it will keep everything simple. Separate circuits for the trap, lights and other acessories.

18. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

ONE YOU CAN WALK IN TO. NOT CRAWL IN TO ON WET DAYS. Concret walls, parge the walls and seal the walls so they don't let water in. Drainage pipes at the base of the house on the outside to help drain water away. Those pipes should go to daylight and not end underground. If you have the money back fill around the house with gravel so the water goes straight to the drain pipes and not sit there around the house. Between the dirt and gravel put silt wrap so the dirt does not fill in the gravel. Put the same wrap around the pipe to keep it from filling in with trash or dirt.

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

Take the money that would be spent and hire a kid to police up the ranges and keep the house full of traps including reloading of the trap house each day with full cases. Offer him or her $8 an hour and a couple of free rounds of trap for each day he works. Keep him busy for about 4 or 5 hours a day on the weekends.

You wont have the expense of the house and he will end up shooting more rounds than he gets for free thus he's dumping his paycheck back into the range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ideas for laying a trap to see if someone is coming into your house