1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need your help on this barrel/choke tube trouble!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

call jay @ moneymakers guncraft , omaha neb---------- HEY steve-i hope jack doesnt read this post??!!

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- The comment you made that concerns me the most is the "slight bulge" in the barrel. This indicates a weak area in the barrel. The barrel can be refitted with another choke tube and may last for many years. But I fear someday it will fail. If that happens in the future and somebody posts a picture of the failed barrel on this site, many will be totally convinced that it blew due to an obstruction in the barrel.

Pat Ireland

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

John, I think your assessment is correct. I agree with Pat. In fact, I go further. The missing part of the tube was peened by shot hitting the thin rear section of the tube and bending it in. Assuming it was the correct tube to start with, it may have been dropped. All it takes is a small flat spot. This will continue to happen, and the tube may even be shot out of the gun.

It is probable you will have the same problem even if you put a new tube in. The bulge may be enough to let the shot catch the back edge of the tube and it will start all over again.

Admittedly, I'm a chicken when it comes to such things. I wouldn't shoot that gun, and I'd have a talk with the seller.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are a couple of options

1. Briley could put a "permanent tube" in- where they someone solder it in? it wont move and cant be removed

2. Cut the barrel and rechoke it

---------------- the above posters are correct- choke tube was out of rounds---barrel is permanently damaged

It would impose some type of civil liability to sell it in that condition and not advise someone of the condition

It might depending on your jurisdiction attach criminal liability to any injured party that would result- You would need to get a signed waiver as a minimum to ever transfer that gun

There might also be a Federal felony involved depending on danger to the public.

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I would send the barrel to Briley for evaluation. They deal with that sort of thing frequently. I think personally the bulge could be squeezed back in and the barrel could be saved.

6. g7777777

If someone "squeezes" the barrel that could be conspiracy-- not a good idea unless you want to go to prison.

That thought extends not only in selling the barrel but if someone were injured(such as another shooter)

Anyone giving advice to do this could also be charged

This can happen with any choke tubed gun - if the choke tube gets dinged at all- what is different here is that the barrel suffered damage-- many dinged choke tubes might peel in but the person is lucky and catches it or sometimes they are blown out of the barrel

Some barrels are stronger than others in this area

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

If it was mine and I couldn't get the seller to refund my money, I would send it to one of the choke tube manufactures who also do installation work and have them shorten it enough to get rid of the bulge and fit another choke tube.

As to what happened, I kinda think that it was a standard choke tube in an invector+ barrel.

It should say on the side of it but if it don't compare it to an invector + tube to see if it is the same length. Invector + tubes are longer.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have seen one other choke tube do this. It was because the choke tube had gotten "ovaled" then installed on the gun.

Don't shoot the gun until it gets inspected by a qualified gunsmith. I would have a polite conversation with the seller and see what could be worked out.

The only repair, in my book, for this kind of damage is a re-barreling. There is a lot of stress out on the end of a shotgun barrel.

ss

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is not difficult to nick or dent the end of a choke tube. Shot can then get behind the damaged tube area and produce something like the photograph.

Pat Ireland

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

No honest seller would even offer this gun in this condition without complete disclosure to the buyer before the sale

11. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I purchased a tube from Wright's at the Grand and Mrs. Wright used a hook in the barrel to check to make sure there was no "edge" for the shot/wad to catch on. I never thought this was a big deal until something like this comes up. It was probably the wrong tube fit for the barrel. Glenn

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Gene your full of it! So full of it in fact, I would bet your eyes are brown!

13. g7777777

Hoosier Daddy- it seems that you think "squeezing" this damaged part of the barrel together is ethical and legal

Well you are wrong on both counts - plus someone could get hurt covering up such damage-- and yes you could also be liable both criminal and civil for suggesting they do that

Attempting to cover the structural damage up is nothinggggggggggggggg but wrong- and thats the end of that discussion

What is your name btw?

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

did you look down the barrel when you bought it??

or did you buy it off the internet??

tony

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I hope you didn't shoot it first? Hap

16. JRW

JRW Member

Could something like this happen, if you had a .740 bore and used a choke tube for .750 bore? Jerry

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Briley can repair that bulge John ..they will rehammer around a precise arbor and measure inside dia for the entire length to make sure it never reoccurs...sure glad you found it before a catastrophic failure....God bless and Merry Xmas

18. battuedave

battuedave Member

Hoosier Daddy and Calvin MD are right
    Briley can repair WITH OUT cutting off barrel,They will hammer it out as new and re thread it.

19. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I would contact the seller..........hard to believe he didn't know about it......but stranger things have happened.

tony

20. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I have had something similar happen to a barrel with briley thin walls in it. I was careless with the chokes and got a ding in the skirt of the choke.
    There was a triangular shaped tear in the choke. Kerry Allor had a neat tool he made for removing problem chokes. He said there was a slight bulge in the barrel. I sent the barrel to briley and they "repaired" the bulge and put in the next larger series choke tube.
    I would think if they didn't have confidence in repairing the bulge and exposing a fairly large company to lawsuits they wouldn't do it.
    They had mentioned it was the gas that deforms the choke. The shot should be inside the wad. This area of the barrel is subjected to fairly low pressure and compared to the forcing cone area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

a slight bulge behind the choke tube

bulge choke tube inside barrel

can you rethread invector plus barrel