1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need your advice on a Vehicle purchase?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Hello all,

I need some advice, and I welcome all comments. A couple of weeks ago, a young driver pulled out in front of me and totaled out my Explorer. I am ok, but the Explorer is done. I am actually sort of happy because I didn't like the Explorer that much. Now to my question as I have to purchase a vehicle.....

I am looking for a used vehicle to drive every day and to trapshoots. I set up and vend at most shoots I go to, plus have a friend that usually goes with me. So I need some room. I don't sell anything heavy or bulky, just Decot glasses and gun care accessories. In your opinion, what is my best option? Is it a Extended Cab or 4 door truck with a camper top (topper) or a Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition. Please help me, I hate buying vehicles and want this to be a good purchase that I will have awhile. What have you guys found that you liked?

Matt Woodson

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Look at the new 2010 Ford F-150 trucks.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

A small van is what you need. Room for two and lots of room in the back for your gear and what you plan to sell with easy access to all of it ... and ... you can lock it all up ... out of sight!

Just my 2ยข.

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Toolmaker,

I would love a new 2010 Ford F-150 but I wouldn't love the payment. I need to go used.

Ahab,

Yes, I have thought about a van. Since I have to drive it everyday, I rather stick with SUV or truck. Thanks for your opinion though.

Matt

5. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

matt

met you in Memphis 3 years back. From what I remember you were old enough to figure out what vehicle would serve you best...........but I have been wrong before....stroker

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I drive a Honda Element. The reasons include it's cavernous cargo area. I have an all wheel drive but it still sits low enough to work out of easily. It is not a hot rod. They are only made with a 166 hp 4 cylinder engine. It is more than adequate for me, my hot rodding days are behind me.

You might have seen me at shoots driving a little yellow golf cart. I put that in back of the Element for shoots and I haul the Element behind my little motorhome.

I've seen you and your setup and IMHO the Element would do nicely. Give it a look.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Based on my own record with 6 of my company fleet Expeditions, including the one I drive, I think it's a good choice. One of the car magazines says it's the best of a dying breed, I don't know about dying breed, but it's sure better than others.

8. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Matt,

The last 25 or so years I have driven the Tahoe S.U.V.I think there pretty versatile as far as carrying personal and goods or whatever.Im 6'4" and 250 lbs and have an awful time getting in and out of the little Rice Burners.Not everyone has this problem..
    Sandy.

9. creek

creek Member

I have had a Toyota 4-runner for almost seven years and love it. I have had two Explorers in the past that were very nice, but the 4 Runner far exceeds the Explorer. I get over 23 MPG on the highway, and 21 MPG in the city. I have 112,000 on it and it still feels like new. No problems in seven years and counting. It feels like it will run forever.
    There are a lot of used 4-runners out there that have been turned in after leases ran out. Lots og room and storage for a vehicle this size.

John

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

There are TONS of older SUVs with a lot of life left in them, and they can be purchased for $2-3K because they don't get great mileage.

Oops, I forgot -- your government bought them up at inflated prices using fake money and destroyed them so that you can not benefit from them.

Buy a new over-priced Government Motors piece of crap like you're told.

-Gary

11. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Hey Matt, Hello from PA. I have been useing Chevy suburbans and pickups for 30+ years. My 05 4x4 suburban gets better gas mileage than my 05 trailblazer. The suburban has a 3.4? rear end and get 20+ on the highway. Same for my 07 PU 4x4 with a 3.4?. I have been buying new and trading up after 200,000 miles. The 05 suburban was bought used 18 months ago for $17,000. It was in like new condition with 24,000 miles. Lots of very good deal on used full sized vehicles.

EEBornman
    [​IMG]

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have been very pleased with the Tahoe. Lots of room and great ride. I bought a two wheel drive version to save $4000 and for greater reliability. No regrets at all. Over 20mpg on the highway. I average about 17-18 mpg.

It can be difficult to reach all the way to the back of the cargo area if you vertically challenged.

Don Verna

13. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Let me get a vote in for the Chevy HHR. Although it's on the smaller side, the back seat lays down completely flat giving you a deck area about 3' x 6' (Ive never actually measured it). It's a comfortable driving car. Took it to Canada 2 yrs ago w/one other passenger and fishing gear for two, and we were quite comfortable. The driver info center shows 31 MPG overall mileage and if I hold it on 60MPH I get almost 39 on a trip. On the Canada trip there were 2 vehicles: ma and a Ford 4 dr full size pick-up. He ran in the mid 70MPH's and I was there before him. Passed him numbers of times while he was getting $70 in gasoline and I was getting $30 worth. I put a hitch on it and tow a 16' john boat like it wasn't there. The '08's and '09's are turboed, mine isn't ('07). Price was right (well under $20K) and maintenance is nil. It has a solid feel inside.

14. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks for all the helpful tips! I am really suprised that there is not 1 vote for truck with topper. Keep opinions coming.

Matt

15. thunder

thunder Active Member

I was on the highway selling for 23 plus years and had to carry lots of samples. Everyday the samples would be moved in and out at least twice and sometimes 3 times to show.

During that period I had station wagons, trucks, explorers, suburbans and caravans. The Dodge caravans was my wheels of choice and still is. Why because they got great mileage, was easy and reasonable to maintain (up to 88,000 miles on brakes and 1st set of tires, tuneups at 100,000 miles). The back hatch swung up and was over your head out the way and during rain or snow was nice to tuck under when loading and unloading. Had sliding side doors for easy access, seats were easy to take out and put back in. Later years installed swingout computer stand between fronts seats, made nice work area. Was confortable enough that I could if had to drive 800 miles in a day. Was very easy to park and didn't have many blind spots.

Explorer was my worst vechile, maintence was high and had a transmission go out at 75,000 miles, plus I thought the seats were crap. Suburban was nice, hard on brakes and tires, not easy to park and I hated the swingout rear and side doors. Again I didn't care for the seats. The best seats I ever had was in a Ford Lariat pickup truck, but not handy for what I was doing, plus a topper not best way to go for security.

For what I do now, which is very little, I would love the Lexus 350 SUV, that is one sweat ride.

Good luck on your purchase
    Andy

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Ok Maztt I'll be the Truck with Topper advocate. I have a 2500 Dodge 4 door with topper. The topper has side windows that open from the outside making it easy to retrieve items that slide to the front. I also have a stick with a hook on it for retrieving items that migrate foward. The truck rides and drives good. Very comfortable and easy to see out of. It has the Cummins and fuel mpg is ok. I am a truck man. Wife has a Lincoln MKZ and I prefere the Dodge. Jake

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Matt,

I love my F150's two wheel drive with a camper shell. It locks as securely as anything else. Anyone can break in you vehicle anytime they want to but you won't be parking it on the street in bad places. Don't go with a 4 wheel drive regardless of brand p/u because maint on front end is expensive. The drawback to a p/u is that it's a pain crawling in and out of the back but it's pretty easy to mount a piece of plywood on a slide so you can slide it out to unload. You can expect your highway mileage to be around 17 mpg usually. I can drive to get better but most of the time I have a heavy foot.

On the other hand I just gave my son who had a newborn our Winstar van which got 23 Mpg and would run as fast as you wanted to go with a load and had room a plenty. Two sliding side doors and rear hatch. You would be amazed at what you could get in one. With seven passengers and baggage it still handled well and was easy to get in and out. I once hauled a Honda 4 wheeler inside and my wife never found out. LOL

Another thing you might consider is a Hyundai suv as a used one is pretty inexpensive to purchase and could still have warranty left. A used Hyundai or Kia does not retain the 10 year warranty though. Jackie B.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Matt, Same thing happened to my 99 Exploder last May. I bought a New Ford Escape 4x4 XLT. 28 hy 20 city plenety of romm and comforatable

19. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

well out of the 32 trucks/suvs ive had over 14yrs my favorite was my crew cab f250 04 or dodge quad cab diesel i had an 02 suburban that cost a fortune in repairs by 80k but never had any problems with my older 99 tahoe or 96 but when i can afford it another crew cab pickup

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If the Explorer was about the right size for your needs then check into a used Toyota 4 Runner. Reasonable MpG, dependable, fair amount of cargo room, good resale value. Not a good choice if you want to pull much of a trailer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.