1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need you opinion as to what caused the damage ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Seitz231, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

See the pictures below. Looking for what you think was the probable cause ? Nobody was hurt, even broke the bird before this was noticed.

dillin4_2008_030313.jpg

My original note

I bought a LF choke tube from you about a month or so back (invoice # 54073), and used it for the first time at the Autumn Grand in Tucson last week. On the 34 shot in the handicap on the second day, the choke tube fell out of the barrel onto the ground. I looked at the barrel and to my surprise it had burst. I have inclosed some pictures in a .zip file, any ideas what has happened ? The consensus was possible crack or metal fatigue. If infact it was material defect, is there any warranty from your company ?
    Awaiting what your opinion is.

Regards,
    Skip Dillin

Reply from OEM

I can't see the pictures you sent but i'am guessing the choke backed out and the wad or gases got between the barrel and the choke. Darian,

I resent the pictures the same day

What do you think ???

2. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Picture Two

3. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Picture Three

4. Seitz231

Seitz231 Member

Picture Four

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Looks like the rupture started about 3/4"-1" in from the muzzle. Was this barrel sent away for aftermarket threads and choke tubes?

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Obstruction in the barrel before the next shot was fired?

If a loose choke caused that, my paranoia of my choke being loose is now going to be worse. I check it after every post although it is never loose.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

With the back of the tube rolled in like that I would say that the OEM was dead on in their correspondence. Loose tube and wad snag.

--- Chip King ---

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I would say the reply you got was more than likely what happened. If your choke tube gets loose and backs out far enough this is exactly what can happen.

9. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

is that a ballistic's specialty choke tube - optima thread pattern ?

10. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Holy Batshit.

I wouldn't have wanted to be posted to your left 2 yards in front of your position.

Glad nobody was hurt. Could have been bad.

What was the make of gun & age?

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The tube was loose at the joint inside the barrel and high pressure gas did it's work.

Hap

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

WOW...glad i don't have choke tubes, and another reason why i won't. glad nobody was injured mark

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

bent tube or not fully seated!

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Tube was damaged. Started with a small fold in the bottom of the tube that was caused by you dropping it or firing the gun with the tube loose. Tubes are not very thick and a tiny fold will quickly grow and block the exit. The rest is history.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sure looks like the wad impacted on the skirt of the choke tube. Look how the ripped edges of the choke tube are slightly rounded by being pulled inward by the wad.

Was the step between the wad and choke carefully checked to make sure the bore of the barrel was slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the skirt of the choke tube?

Or as speculated, the tube might have unscrewed to the point where the wad was forced into the gap, snagging it on the lip.

And, it appears that is an 870/1100/1187 barrel, and the tube looks like the same brand I bought used from someone on ts.com a couple of years or so ago. So maybe this might be food for thought:

Unfortunately the chokes I bought were custom made for a .728" bore, and as it turned out that's exactly what my bore is, but the choke tube is off center by a very slight amount. This means the skirt is running interference with the bore, but what appears to be .001". I know that ain't much, but I won't use them. It's enough that I can barely feel it, and if I can feel it so can a wad. I have not measured my other barrels, because one is a backbored and these chokes won't do me any good, and the others are all dedicated to field use. Will just bid my time until I find a .727" barrel with a truly concentric choke tube. I'm just glad that I took the time to check them before actually using them.

16. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

one of the reasons why tubes with threads at the base (proximal in the bore) versus the top (distal in the bore) are now the norm is the supposition that a bent tube will be harder to thread in. Looks like the tube was not concentric as mentioned, and as noted - what happens next is well documented by your pics

Saw a guy shoot out a tube once, it was a perazzi gen 1 and he said afterwards he knew it was out of round, he'd dropped it or something but got it to thread in so he figured it was OK . . . so if you see an odd length short TMS barrel out there somewhere, that's where it came from!!

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Where are the threads in the barrel? HMB

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You need to get into the habit of checking how tight the extended chokes are because they WILL loosen up in no time. Looks like it loosened up and gas got in there, no doubt.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Codebrown mentioned my thoughts. Tube was dropped and never checked, over time the wad force/pressure got it. If it backed out from not being checked for tightness, the wad plastic and residue behind it kept building up.

Most choke tubes have 3-5 thousands step from the bore down to the tube, but if it was dropped, a part of the choke skirt may have been exposed to the wads force.

20. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I kept having problems with the extended tube loosening in my 1187 barrel; had to tighten it after every 20 - 25 shots!

Maybe it's not recommended, but I started wrapping the threads with 1 turn of teflon tape. Never loosens up from shooting and removes easily for cleaning.

Kiv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.