1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need wood refinish suggestion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by new loader, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

I have this Browning that has the worst wood you ever saw. I have seen GI Garands that look better. I want to spiff this up a little, but not a total refinsh. Need something to enhance what is here, give it a little curb appeal. Who has done something similar and what did you use?

[​IMG]

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Rub in a couple of coats of Permalyn Sealer (available from Brownells). Gives it that "in the wood" finish with a nice semi-gloss look.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Tung oil with a little Japan dryer. Wipe on a coat let stand 20 minutes, then wipe off the excess. Let it stand 24 hours, then do the procedure again. 5 to 7 days or until the grain is filled. Then polish and wax. An easy and beautiful finish. I've been doing this for many years for lots of wood projects, including stocks.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Why not find a really nice piece of English or Turkish walnut and make new pieces? That would be really easy to do in this case.

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I agree with Tron. As there is only so much you can do with plain wood.
    Don

6. ABH

ABH Member

http://www.larsongunart.com/

Take a look at this. ART H.

7. new loader

new loader Member

shotgun410 solution seems like what I wanted to do. I rummaged through my box of gun show bargains and found something similar. 7 coats looks great. Finish is not as glossy as photo shows, just harsh reflections. I am pleased with the result for not much effort. Thanks to all.

[​IMG]

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Very nice indeed.
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.