1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Whole Roasted Duck Recipe!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Trappy12, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Bought a duck, and need a recipe to roast it!
    Thanks,
    -Trappy

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Lame duck, coming soon.

3. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Trappy

I'm reading a book about several slaves who were interviewed after they werre freed in the early 1930's.

An actual interview related to how they used to cook a whole chicken.

This former slave lady said they took a very clean whole chicken, rubbed lard all over it, stuffed it full of dressing, laid it on a leaf of lettuce on the floor by the fire, covered it with another leaf of lettuce, then covered the whole thing with hot coals!

She said this was the only way to "bake" a chicken!!!!

Maybe it will work for your duck.

True story, and good luck

Danny

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Beats the Duck out of me................

5. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Here's one that works for turkey and duck too:

Take one clean duck and pour 1 tablespoon of salt into the cavity. Add 1/2 stick of butter and one quarter cup of unpopped pop corn into the cavity. Bake at 350 degree oven until the popcorn pops and blows the a$$ off the duck. :)

A friend shared that recipe with me in high school and I still remember it but never tried it ;).

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

For domestic duck from grocery store just use a cookbook. Wild duck recipes are different.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I wonder if he is looking for the Liberal or Conservative recipe?

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

For domestic duck, here goes. Clean the bird in and out, take some fresh thyme sprigs and lay inside,and quarter an apple or orange (you will discard later) and stuff them in the cavity. Salt and pepper the skin to taste, put in a roaster on a RACK and cover with foil, bake at 350 145 degrees, then uncover and finish at 165. Remove from oven and let stand covered 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm. You can make gravy out of the drippings but it will be greasy.
    Enjoy!

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They have a point trappy. Huge diffrence between a tame duck and a wild. Since you said you bought it I assume it is a tame duck. Just go online and do a search as there are as many ways to do tame duck as there are chicken darn near. Jeff

10. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

trappy12_2008_030315.jpg

Well here's the result. Bad picture quality because I took it with my phone, but whatever. I scored and pricked the fat on all sides, seasoned with salt and pepper and stuffed with half an onion and orange zest. Cooked at 300 for 2.5 hours, then took it out and covered with glaze made from molasses, honey, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, orange zest, garlic, and some pepper. Then finished it off at 450 for 20 minutes to crisp up the skin. Came out pretty damn good in my opinion. It was a small duckling (just lbs) and came out just a little overcooked, but still not too dry. Very happy with the result for my first duck. Too bad they aren't as cheap as turkey or chicken otherwise I would be eating much more duck!
    -Trappy

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah... Duck makes your girl friend tingle... then you will be a "lucky-ducky"

12. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Trappy, looks delicious, I will save the recipe. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.