1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Well Pump Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ExFedex, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Well is drilled. Hit water about 130'.Winter temps can get down to -5F. Am told a variable frequency pump system is what I need but will be more expensive. Is this the new technology in well systems or should I stick with standard above ground pumphouse system? Never been on a well before. Thanks for your input.

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Above ground pump systems (commonly called "jet" pumps) will require a heater of some sort to keep the portion of the system above ground warm (above freezing.) If the power goes out during below freezing weather, you only have a short time before your pipes freeze and potentially burst. Spend the extra $$ and get the below ground pump system. All the piping will be below the frost line and never freeze.

Variable frequency pumps are really only necessary when you have requirements for wide variations in water volume pumped. Average home and family does not need it, I believe.

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I am assuming you are piping the water to a heated building. I would use a pitless adapter. Very simple to install, you need to cut a hole (usually 2" dia.) in the well casing below the frost line. If you're not familiar with this, I would suggest experienced help for installation. Also, how much water in your casing? It's a good idea to keep the submersible pump at least 5ft from the bottom. Hope this helps. Larry Evans

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A conventional 3 stage pump will do just fine. Usually these are switched on/off by a pressure tranducer on a steady head tank which needs to be in a heated building. (Well house)

VFDs pay off with the bigger moters/pumps usually 25 Hp and above. Your domestic well pump will probably be 3Hp or so.

You really don't need to be an expert on this stuff but you do need to be able to spot a sales con when you see it. You will be money ahead using a tried and proven set up. This is a good time to meet some of you new neighbors and find out what they do with their wells.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What I have is a 135 foot deep well and a 220V submersible pump 125 deep. The water head is 90 feet and a sanitary quick disconnect coupler. The PVC line from the well to house is 35 feet and is buried 30" deep. Had the well drilled in 1986 for $807 and I did the rest of the hook up. Been pumping for 25 years now, knock on wood.

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

MX10RS/PL, it';s a coincidence you mentioned a VFD on your pump. I have a Teco VFD on my Bridgeport mill and have never experienced any problems like you encountered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

well pumps advice