1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

need waterfowlers experience

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I am big on waterfowl hunting and were I hunt we have more Canadian geese than ducks. I have been just using 3" shells on geese, I want to know before the season comes back around would I be better off shooting 3 1/2" 12ga shells or a 10 ga or just stay with the premium 3" 12ga?

2. perazzidb81

perazzidb81 Member

Stay with 3"

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shoot a 3 1/2" on geese cause it gets more steel on the birds and cleaner kills. Using the right choke makes a difference. With a larger bore gun, (.745) like a SX-2 or Browning, use an IM choke with T's. In a Benelli or Beretta with .724 bore use a IC for T's and MOD for BB, BBB, or smaller.

How close your shots are makes a difference too. Decoying, or pass shooting?

See the thread "what non-lead shot patterns most like lead".

4. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

10 gauge auto 26" bbl, pattern master choke. Nuff said

5. oldman_1949

oldman_1949 TS Member

Shell length means little or nothing . 1 1/4 oz of 2's , 1's , or BB's at 1400-1450 fps will kill them all day . You just have to get them within 40 yards before you light em up .

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

It is all pass shooting and I have been using #2 is that too light? I kill birds but sometimes They look hit but keep on flying making me think you either have too hit them in the head or break a wing to bring them down. I also have some votes for each length of shell

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I have been killing geese with 3" #1's for years and 2's seem to do just as well.
    I do have a 10 ga but don't pack it to the blind very much any more as it weighs damn near as much as 2 12guages and much more expensive to shoot.
    Don't over think this thing, take the ethical shots you can and kill lots of birds.
    Wayne

8. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I use 3" Black Clouds with BB in the fall. I have made plenty of one shot kills out to 50 yards. In the winter, I switch to 3 1/2" Black Clouds in BBB, The geese get smarter as the season progresses and don't decoy as close. They also get heavier plumage as the weather gets colder.

9. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

My view is the recent advances in steel shotshell technology have made the 3.5 shells unnecessary. In the past few years we have seen loads like the Remington Hypersonic, the Federal Black Cloud and the Winchester Blind Side come on the market. These loads are a quantum leap in effectiveness. While they are available in 3.5" versions, I've found the 3" loads to be all I need. My goose group shot nearly 100 birds last season. My personal preference is the Hypersonics.

10. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I use 3 1/2 inch. You get more shot in all steel shot shell loads with 3 1/2 inch ammo. What you also need to do is pattern what you're going to shoot. I patterned some Winchester Blind Side and Federal Black Cloud last fall and neither patterned good with the modified choke I was using. I patterned some Remington steel loads that did better and cost less. The other option is going with tungsten, Heavyshot, or some other premium shot shell loads. You get better range and performance with 3 inch in those than 3 1/2 inch steel. Then again if you buy 3 1/2 inch with that shot shell you will get a heavier payload than with 3 inch. Then the question is do you "need" 3 1/2 inch using the premium shot? I don't think it's necessary with the premium shot shell loads. If you don't want to spend the $2 to $3 a shot for premium ammo I would say go with 3 1/2 inch.

Joe

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

First thing with geese nothing smaller than BB.WE shoot BBB and T through a 10ga. Hundreds of geese a year.3" 12 is next. 3 1/2 is just a waste of money, and the pattern board will prove it.I guarantee your gun will shoot one of the afore mentioned shot sizes much better than the next. If you want to be fair then get to the pattern board! Jeff

12. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I use #2s. I like having more shot in my pattern. The 1700 fps coming out of the hypersonic makes up for any downrange loss of energy.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Learn to blow a goose call and how to set decoys and it won't matter much.

14. In Clay We Crush

In Clay We Crush TS Member

To piggy back on bigbore's comment. Nothing patterns big steel like a 10gauge. A 3.5 12g shell is pointless. IMHO. Shooting..ability and hunting ability kills waterfowl. Whether its laying the right decoy set,calling and more importantly knowing when NOT TOO....lol..Is what kills better than any propaganda out there. Leaving market hunters out of the disscussion for obvious reasons. Our for fathers killed 100's of thousands of waterfowl before we bought into the propaganda. Yes technology is wonderful. Less recoil is the greatest achiement too come out of it. Now yes they had lead. So before someone says it. Could they have killed like that without it? I say yes. Simply because our for fathers typically owned one waterfowl gun and owned it until they couldn't hunt with it and passed it down. Point is they trusted their ability. How many guns do we go through now in our hunting carreers? It is that. " must be the gun or shells"." can't be me. WE ALL MISS....and on those days when you dish rag dead everything. Charish them. And remember them before you plunk down money on a new gun and different shells.

It's not necessary. good shooting friend......

15. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

To the OP: Are you having any difficulty killing geese with what you are using? If not, sick with what you have. If you are, I suggest shooting some sporting clay during the off season. Get better with what you have. Switching guns and/or ammo will not make you a better shot (unless there is a "fit" problem with the gun). 3" ammo on Canada geese is not your problem (if any you have). Pass shooting is just more difficult than shooting decoying birds.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

....and usually longer shots/smaller target.

17. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

My experience says, with steel the 10ga is the best, but the gun is too heavy to get moving if you are lying or sitting down. The 3-1/2" 12ga is effective if you shoot no more than 1-3/8 oz of shot. A 3" 12ga 1-3/8oz is my choice with 1's. The tungsten stuff sounds good but too expensive for me.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have not fired a steel pellet in many years that had a number attached to the size of shot. BBB is the smallest I will shoot and I use that in a 12ga 3 inch gun. With the right modified choke it will kill ducks dead at 45 yards. That is a real 45 yards and not a steel 2's 45 yards. If steel 2's killed ducks at 45 to 50 yards I would use them. They do not. They might drop one now and again but they don't have the pellet energy to body kill ducks let alone body kill geese.

If your idea of success is a duck in the decoys that requires 4 or more shots once in has hit the water... There has been lots of advice given that will get you that result. I am not impressed by a bird that requires 3 extra rounds once it hits the water or I have to chase it 500 yards because it's winged .

Steel t's in a 10ga magnum with any factory load or a good hand load and a Briley LM choke will kill Big Canadas DEAD at 55 to 60 yards. It will drop them a hell of a lot farther then that. You can shoot ducks in the decoys with it and the recoil is half of what you will get with a 12ga 3 1/2 inch shell and patterns better.

We don't shoot lead anymore. What it used to do means nothing.

Steel T's will make you feel like you are shooting lead again. An added bonus is that clear to 75 yards the pellets go all the way through the bird. No steel to bite down on.

The crew I hunt with kills between 500 to 1000 ducks and from 100 to 300 geese depending on the year.

If you want to f$%ck around shoot steel 2's. If you want dead ducks shoot BBB's in a 12ga and steel T's in a 10ga.

The recoil of the SP-10 with factory steel has to be felt to be appreciated. The 3 1/2 inch 12ga guns kick so hard it's like being in a small car accident. The Big ten kicks less then my beretta 390 with a 1 1/4 load of BBB's.

If dead birds mean nothing to you and chasing cripples sounds like fun, I recommend steel 2's in any 12ga gun. Chamber size makes no difference as 2's are out of energy long before they are out of pattern.

There is no reason on earth to shoot more then 1 1/4 of steel 2's as you gain NOTHING. If you can't shoot, an 1 oz 9/16's of steel 2's will not help the situation.

Birds do not always come in close and sometimes you are in situations that demand you stretch your barrel. These loads and guns will allow you to do that if you have to.

I like birds in my face as much as the next guy but I a mot going to limit myself to birds that put their feet down. You have hunt shows on TV and then you have reality.Jeff

19. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thanks Jeff, The really big steel shot won't hurt your bbl?

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

If I can't see the web in their feet,I don't shoot----Just need 3" for that---
    Too many cripples ain't the answer----Get them coming into the decoys with the wings cupped----No better sport in my opinion----George@SJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.