1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to Stop Blinking When I Pull/Release Trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I shoot a release trigger due to a flinching problem. Today while shooting sporting clays, I noticed something that I was doing that I think I've been doing for a long time. When I release the trigger, I blink my right (shooting) eye. I also shoot with just one eye on most shots.

So, this means that at the exact instant I release the trigger to shoot the gun, I lose sight of the target for a brief instant. I believe that this blinking is just another form of flinching.

On a couple of shots today, I concentrated on keeping my right eye open while taking the shot. It sure made it easier to see what I was doing at the instant the gun went off. I could clearly see the target and see it break.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem successfully? Any suggestions on how to keep my eye open at least until well after the shot has hit (or missed) the target?

Easystreet

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think if I had such a condition, I'd buy a .22 rifle and shoot it till I became a great shot with it! I'd begin with stationary targets and then move on to gallery type of moving cut-outs! Old habits are hard to break if you keep doing the same things over and over? Hap

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I do the same thing but only maybe once in 1000 targets. I try hard to keep my eyes open wider than normal and focus farther out than usual . Once I relax I just may blink . Now we should hear from some that say we should be doing that and we heed more practice !!!! It`s a flinch and thats it .

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Mr. Walrus, Yes, I suspect it is. I find Hap's thought process or cure interesting. Shoot often while we can, Bob

5. RAScott

RAScott Member

I posted a comment asking if it was a flinch and most said that it was. I try and bring the gun up wait a 1/2 second blink and then call for the target. It seams to help a bit, also try follow thru. i figured that you look over the barrel then out and then it is time to blink so i tried to blink fist and get it out of the way. I still catch my self blinking at times though.
    Bob S

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Fred, the drill Sargent in you really pops out when you have reports to do. If we discuss this mans problems in trap shooting terms and not what other organizations allow, release triggers are fine for the application.

Easy, what kind of ear protection are you using when shooting trap? Loud sound can hurt you without you being aware your being hurt, consciously. Why not try plugs and muffs to see if that makes any differences in how you react to either method of firing the gun?

The more recoil and noise you can stay away from, the better you'll shoot! I mentioned the .22 because you must look the bullet into the center of the targets, same thing with a shotguns pattern center.

Phil Kiner speaks of seeing a clay, then says seeing it with intensity is better!! Give that some real thought too!

I shoot trap with both types of triggers and my scores are the same with either. What I can't shoot decent scores with is a bad pull trigger. One that changes due to worn springs or pins requiring a different amount of trigger pressure the dis-engage the sears. You may have the same thing with a release trigger gone awry but it's still better than a bad pull trigger. Letting go of 32 ounces is much easier than pulling 5 to 7 pounds of bad trigger.

Hap

Hap

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Hap,

I've been using both ear plugs and ear muffs together whenever I shoot a shotgun for at least the past 10 years. If I try using just the ear plugs, it's too loud for me.

I also shoot mostly mild (2 3/4 dram) 1 ounce loads. When I reload, I load a little less than 1 ounce (about 15/16 ounce) at around 1210 fps.

I agree that the quieter I can keep the noise and the lower I can keep the recoil, the easier it will be to keep from blinking when I shoot. I also shoot a heavy gun (about 9 1/4 pounds).

I think that practicing dryfiring and concentrating on keeping from blinking will help me with the blinking problem. Perhaps trying to follow a piece of the broken target will help me to keep my eye open. BTW, I don't need any lectures from anyone on 2 eyed shooting. Some targets I shoot with 2 eyes open, but most are with one eye open.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
blinking while trapshooting
how to know when to pull the trigger in trap shooting
how to stop blinking after pulling a trigger
how to stop blinking when i pull the trigger

how to stop blinking when shooting

stop blinking when pulling trigger

stop blinking when shooting

stop blinking while firing