1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to moved to So CA - looking for info...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Turnpike Mike, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnpike Mike

Turnpike Mike TS Member

Hi -

The aerospace company I work for is transferring me to El Segundo, CA. As a family man (i.e., wife and kids) I would like to get some suggestions on what cities/communities would be good to look at during my house hunting trip which would not require too long of a commute from El Segundo and are safe for raising children.

PS. Before you all jump in with suggestions to; find another job, win the lottery, learn to speak spanish, etc.. I am just seeking some good input, but I get your point.

2. Lew

Lew TS Member

Try El Segundo itself, Redondo Beach, Mahanatan Beach, Culver City and parts of Santa Monica, Playa Del Ray, and the surounding towns have good schools and due the housing market some good deals can be found. Also try Renodo Beach but about 1-2 plus miles fron the beach prices are lower further from the beach. Hope this helps.

3. BMC

BMC Member

Mike, I can't comment on the school systems and quality of neighborhoods in that general area. But what I can offer to add to your decision making process is to multiply the mileage to your work from you intended residence by two to determine the time it will take you to commute to and from. While not scientific, it will give you an idea of what to expect in driving time. Here we don't use miles as a determination of distance. We use time.

4. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

Hi Mike....MX-8B is correct. However, the bottom line question is what you can afford. I don't know from where you are relocating and therefore have no basis of/for comparison of housing prices.The two bedroom townhome that MX refers to is probably very nice. For the same money outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma ,you could probably buy a 6 bedroom, 5 bath house on 20 acres that would probably have its own trap field.Be careful. I have considerable experience in the residential real estate market in So Cal for many ytears. I would be happy to speak with you at your convenience and share my thoughts. No, I have no ulterior motive, pecuniary or otherwise. E-mail me a number, I will give you a call. Good luck. Stan.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy flack jackets for yourself and family. Have a will. Don't let your kids attend public schools. Armor you house. Just a few suggestions, thats why I moved after 30 years in the area. I would never go there, regardless of what they paid me.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Learn Spanish, but don't tell anyone.

HM

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

You may be in sticker shock for housing. The San Fernando Valley is half way between Santa Clarita and the beach cities. There is some nice housing in that area. Shooting venues are: Oak Tree - a public range charging $8.00 per round; Lopez Canyon - one trap owned by several clubs off of the 210 Fwy charging $4.00 per round; and North Hollywood Sportsman's Club in Santa Clarita - 3 traps and 1 skeet field [with two more traps coming on line] charging $4.00 to club members and $5.00 to guests. North Hollywood is heavily into ATA events and has the more serious trap shooters. It is also in a growth mode. For more information about So. CAL. e-mail me at the above @aol.com. Fred

8. willing

willing Member

I've been retired from the aerospace business for 17 years, what kind of wages do they pay that people can afford 3500 rent or 1 mil condos?

Bill

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

ALWAYS live east of where your work happens to be!

Nothing worse than driving into the Sun going to and comming from work.

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Mike......Your P.S. stole my thunder! ....Good luck!

11. zap

zap TS Member

Try to negotiate an early retirement package and stay the hell out of california. I spent my entire life working for a major co in calif and when i retired i moved to Idaho to be able to survive and have a decent life style.

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Nitro: And what is the average winter temperature in Idaho in the winter?? Do you shoot in -20 degrees? I think the term "snow bird" was coined for people who live up north and live in AZ or Nevada four months out of the year. Let's see the expected temperature for today in So. CA. is about 65+ degrees, a little overcast -- yea I can still wear shorts and a T-shirt. Fred

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Fred, if I remember correctly, Nitro lives a little north of here, perhaps Rexburg. It's a bit colder there than Pocatello, but -20 is a bit lower than they usually see. We do shoot here year around. I lived in SoCal 35 years ago for four years, and it was nice to be able to go to the beach in January, but I much prefer Idaho for a lots of reasons, including much more affordable living costs, better hunting and fishing, millions fewer people, and far less fruits and nuts running the show.

14. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Fred, I'm with Pocatello; I think the key word here is acclimation. I shot yesterday in wind and sleet and wasn't any colder than I've ever been at a CA range in the winter. One gets used to it. Sure it gets cold here - but I haven't seen temps below zero although I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. I miss North Hollywood S.C. a lot, but I'd NEVER trade places with Idaho's myriad freedoms just so I could wear shorts. Weather in CA is nice, but it's not everything to us. If I want to go out and pattern my gun or Steve wants to shoot his .45 next to the house, nobody will call the law or think anything unusual about it... I like that!

BTW, Fred likes it here too...

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.