1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to know--lead question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by snapthecat, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

How much of what should be added to wheel weights when preparing lead for pistol and shotgun shot? Thanks

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

My handgun bullets are cast from pure wheelweights.

.38, .44 & .45's

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

this will be of interest to you...

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Interesting reading BigM.

I've plenty of wheelweights and it casts very nice for me. I've never had a leading problem, but I seldom load the .44 over 1250 fps from my 5½" revolver.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's been decades, but, I seem to remember we put a little tin into the wheelweights to improve the casting quality...I'm guessing 2%...

Jim

6. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

This info is from the 2009 Lyman bullet making guide. Wheelweights are 95.5% Lead, .5% Tin and 4% Antimony, which makes a bullet hardness of #9 on the hardness scale. The perfect pistol bullet is Lyman No. 2 mix, which is made up from 9 pounds of wheelweights and 1 pound of 50/50 bar solder, (sold at plumbing supply.) Melted together, Lyman #2 mix ends up as 90% Lead, 5% Tin, and 5% Antimony, which on the hardness scale is a #15, making a good bullet. Not too hard, not too soft. Those square, sticky tape backed wheel weights, that are used on some mag wheels are Zink. They will float in the lead pot, won't melt unless you get your lead temp. way too high. Junk em. Hope this helps.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

wheel weights is fine alone. They will cast fine but will tend to have a frost look. It dont hurt anything ,but adding tin will make them shiney. hardness wont change too much

8. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I use 9# wheelweight to 1# 50-50 lead-tin bar solder. Casts well and is hard enough for handgun bullets. Don't try to use the wheelweights that float. They are made of zink. Get them off before they melt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.