1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to change guns when your struggling?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdsfarms, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I've been struggling to shoot a decent score all winter,I shoot a DT-10 34" unsingle with a release trigger,I bought my wife a 686 silver pigeon top single 32" with a pull trigger took it to the line today in a blizzard to try it out and inked 25 targets straight,we were all joking about it and a friend of mine who has been looking for the first 25 with a new Blaser supertrap undersingle took the 686 out to try it and same result 25 ink spots go figure.I'm thinkin sell the Dt-10 and buy tickets south to shoot the 686 in a warmer climateJerry

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'd try to find out what's different about the fit of the 686 as opposed to your DT-10.

MK

3. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

I'm sorry but the gun does make a differance.
    I had a KS-5 for 5 years and went from an A shooter to a piss poor D shooter, I had 2 90's scores in the 5 years, the rest were 70's and even in 60's on singles.
    Loved the gun but couldn't shoot it, Not knocking the gun by all means, A lot of people shoot them and do well. The gun itself I loved, the feel the looks everything. All it ended up doing was destroying my confidence. I finally decided to sell it and got another gun, brand not important but now I'm working my way back up the ladder.
    My point is some people can't shoot some guns regardless how good the gun is.
    I know a lot of people won't agree with me but that's my opinion...Ron

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of being able to shoot my DT-10 I have shot plenty of good scores with it including 100 straights and me not flinching in 25 targets with a pull trigger(the 686 has one) is a miracle,just stuggling at shooting in general this winter,mental I'm sure just wondering if a change of pace can help you figure it out the next round with my gun went pretty well(24) after shooting the 686.Jerry

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I find a change out now and again between my 687 and XT helps a bit. BUT what is a big factor is my state of mind, if I am down in the dumps my score suck if I am happy go lucky much better score.

Jerry Lewis

6. sjlga

sjlga Member

Maybe try a top single on the DT-10, if you need a change, it would be cheaper than a new gun....I know somebody uses a DT-10 topsingle and does pretty well ;)).

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

How often do Big Dogs switch guns - compared to "average" shooters?

8. williamd

williamd TS Member

Have a Perazzi MS80 and a Beretta 687EELL. Shoot them about the same. Not great but I dropped out of the ATA rat race and do not shoot nearly as much as I used to. When I want a nice high score I go to my 1000 Trap!!!! Actually, best I had for consistency is a Rem 3200.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Subconsciencely, We just stay in a new gun better, because we are more aware of trying to do well. Once we become used to a gun we tend to become more relaxed with it, too relaxed leads to coming out of the gun from time to time. There seems to be a fine there for me on this because to relaxed is no good, and too tense is no good. Here's to all of us finding our middle ground. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

10. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I just changed guns. I had a Perazzi MX2005 and shot some good scores with it; however, I was not as consistent with it as I should have been after the amount of time I spent with it. I still have the receiver, but I changed to a bent DB81 barrel with a Wenig stock and saw immediate improvement. Sadly, sometimes you just can't shoot a particular gun well. Accept it and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.