1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NEED TO BUY A NEW TV.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Well my TV died tonight and I guess I need to buy one tomorrow ? The question is whats good ?? We will be replacing a 52 inch Mitsubishi that was ten years old . It was a Projection TV and I like it alot . We hae alot of light coming into the room with big windows also the room is big 30 x 25 . I need something about the same size .

2. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Look at the new LCD's. Probably be the best bet. You can get up to 50 in. I think.

3. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

LCD is better than Plasma.

4. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

ALF-99 ,

Try to find some recent issues of "Consumer Reports" that "rate" and discuss new HD TVs . Most of their reports are non-biased and give the best overall reviews .

Charlie

5. Felice Taddz

Felice Taddz Member

If you have a lot of light in the room, then go with a LCD. I had to do the same thing because of the light in my room. Plasma will give you a smoother picture but the glare of the glass in your situation wouldn't be worth it in my oppion. Not sure if they have it at best buy but look for a LG 52LBX.
    Don't let people tell you that LCD is better then Plasma or the other way around. They both are good, they both have advantages and disadvantage as in your situation of light.

Tadds

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Alf99 - I replaced a Hitachi 52" that I liked a lot, had it for 12 years. I bought a 52" Vizio Plasma at Costco for $1131. I have a lot of light coming in also and it works well. I almost bought an LCD but am very glad I did not. Lots of people on here will talk LCD only. I looked a lot and have compared my picture to them since, no comparison

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Samsung LCD, buy at Amazon, great customer service from AMazon and best pricing too. Check them all out at Best buy, then buy online!

8. Ray Zeilinger

Ray Zeilinger Member

I was looking for over a year to replace my 52" projection tv. I too have a very large room, so I needed at least a 52". Nothing on the market impressed me up until samsung announced the series 7 dlp. it has the led light engine that should last 50k-60k hours.

3 weeks ago I purchased the 67" model. what a picture for the "BIG ROOM".

Ray

9. load

load TS Member

Go to buydakota.com

10. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

The worst thing about plasma is that they burn up electricity faster that Albert Gore.

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Costco has a 50" with a wireless surround sound unit for about $1200.00. It looks good to me. I am about to be in the same place.

JON

12. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Until a few months ago, I'd have said LCD. The rap against plasma was they weren't bright enough for rooms with a lot of light. But the latest ones are damn bright. In fact, I just bought a Vizio 42" plasma. And the power consumption is only 360 watts, a considerable improvement over previous generation sets.

The technology is advancing at an astonishing rate for TVs. Four years ago, I got a 32" CRT (over 300 pounds...oof!) HDTV. At that time, it had a far better picture than any LCD, and plasma was too expensive. I should mention that the response time for LCDs is a lot better, less motion blurring in other words. Plasma has less of an advantage there (over LCD) than in the recent past. (I also have a 32" Toshiba Regza LCD, and it's terrific.)

DLP is another option, but I don't have enough experience to comment.

The OP definitely needs full 1080p in that size set. Yes, you may need to consider reflectivity of a plasma set's glass screen. As a rule of thumb, up to about 42" it's very difficult to tell the difference between 1080p and 720p unless the viewing distance is excessively close.

Good luck whatever you get.

13. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Just as an aside, the new upconverting DVD players will work wonders. No, it won't look as good as Blu-Ray, but your DVDs will look noticeably better on your big shiny HDTV. You can get the Philips with HDMI connection for about $40 bucks at Wal-Mart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.