1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to Borrow - Headspace Gauges for 300 RUM

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I am in the process of putting together a 300 RUM for a friend on a Savage action and am in need of a set of headspace gauges. I can buy a new set for $50 or so and then sell them afterwards but was kind of hoping that someone here might have a set they would loan out with a security deposit on them until they are returned safely. Anybody have a set? Send me a PM.

Jeff

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Nobody else out there dumb enough to own one of these retina detaching devices but me?

Jeff

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't have the guages you're looking for, but as adverse to high recoiling firearms as I am, I own a 300RUM. No one hunting in Pennsylvania needs one but I got a line on some special run Model 700 laminated stainless thumbholes being manufactured for export to Canada with brown stocks instead of the usual grey. Being export guns, they didn't have J-locks and the barrels were devoid of the customary warnings and such. Most all Remingtons are made that way now due to negative feedback from the buying public, according to a source at their Madison offices.

I have to admit that I know when mine goes off but it isn't as ugly to shoot as I expected. With a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x AO and after having the barrel pressure lugs removed from the forend and lightening the trigger a tad, it puts five Federal VitalShok 165-grain Nosler Solid Bases into 1.5" at 100 yards - good enough for me for a gun I'll probably never take hunting. I found the ammo on sale at MidwayUSA for $26.00 a box so I bought five boxes of the stuff. They chronograph at a five-shot average of 3,414 fps which translates to over 4,000 lb/ft of muzzle energy. Should make a pretty good varmint rifle...

Honestly, if I was going to handload for it and do a lot of bench shooting with it, I'd have a muzzle brake installed. My son has a Model 700 BDL stainless in 7mm STW with a factory brake and it kicks about like my .25-06s.

Ed

4. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

I have several boxes of factory ammo for one of these beast's, I think it's Remington. It is for sale somewhat cheap!!! Plus shipping if it is possible to ship with out an act of congress.

Fred J

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Digger -

PM sent.

Average Ed -

The rifle I am building is on a Savage 111 action originally chambered for 7MM Rem Mag. I happened upon a factory small shank stainless 26" barrel with a factory muzzle brake. Very limited run of this caliber in the small shank configuration. Only ends up being a 24 inch tube not counting the brake but the brake is worth it from all I have talked to. I am in the process of fitting the longer magazine box that will accomodate the 7 STW, 375 H&H and 300 RUM families of cartridges to the standard long action. This is being done by hand with a dremel and a draw file. I actually do not need the gauges yet but I want to lay the groundwork for when the time comes. New brass for this cartridge is all but non existant right now for some reason. I have found some low level energy ammo by Remington at $23 a box which will serve well as a basis for getting the gun on paper at 100 then use the once fired brass to see just what she'll do. I personally have no need for anything like this gun but my buddy wanted to step up from a 300 Win Mag and we got to talking about the 300 RUM. The entire firearm is only at $340 right now. If he wants an aftermarket trigger which he should go with, he will still be under $400. He looked at the Remington 700's and while a tried and true platform, he was not willing to bite off on the price tag. The nice part is that if he decides it is too much gun, a 7 STW will screw right on to the action and he can send the 300 RUM barrel down the road.

Jeff

6. AveragEd

I've recently become a fan of Savage rifles. I own over a dozen Model 700s but I bought an inexpensive Savage youth "package" Model 11 in .243 for my 30 year-old daughter last fall and while it's not a bonafide tack driver (the scope is a cheap Simmons 3-9x that cannot be properly focused to anyone's eye), I haven't tried a load in it yet that it hasn't at least liked. And I shoot regularly with an older gent with a long-action Savage. Last Friday, he shot three cloverleaf groups with a 6mm-284 barrel on it, then broke out some hand tools and a headspace gauge and screwed a .25-06 barrel onto the action. Fifteen minutes later, he was shooting cloverleaves with that barrel. The next thing I knew, he was shooting a 6.5-06 barrel. The damned things are like bolt-action Contenders!

Right now, I'm fighting with a Model 700 stainless synthetic in .25-06 that I bought new last winter. It just won't shoot any load well twice and the ones it will shoot well once are darned few. I've used the factory stock, a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, the B&C stock pillar-bedded and am going to try the B&C stock with the barrel bedded tomorrow. I have a blued Model 700 BDL in .25-06 with a Medalist stock that likes almost anything you feed it, even 117-grain bullets despite its 1-10" twist. I gave thought to selling the stainless Remington and replacing it with a Savage but they don't make a stainless rifle in .25-06.

Watch MidwayUSA for sales on 300RUM ammo. You might find that same Federal stuff at half-price like I did. I figured that even if the gun didn't like the load, I would have new nickel-plated brass primed with Federal 215s for less than the cost of new unprimed brass.

Ed

7. AveragEd

I had made arrangements to have mine ported at the PA State Shoot this summer but when I mentioned that to the dealer from New York from whom I bought it (he sort of specializes in heavy hitters like the 300RUM), he begged me not to, saying that if "all" I wanted was a 300 Winchester Magnum, that's what I should have bought in the first place. According to him, I might as well cut two inches off the barrel and doing so would cause the rifle to loose a significant amount of velocity.

Our son has plans to hunt mule deer and elk out west in the near future, so he'll probably use it more than I ever will. He seems pretty unsensitive to recoil, but I see a muzzle brake in this gun's future if he shoots it much - 28 inches of barrel won't matter out there.

Ed

8. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Jeff,

P.M sent, Let's deal!!!

Fred

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

We have several die hard high power shooters at our gun club. Some of these guys shoot a couple boxes of 416 Remingtom Mags to warm up before moving on to the heavy hitters like the 460 Weatherby's and 458 Lott's. One of these guys told me he would rather shoot a 100 375 H & H mags with 300 Gr bullets than a box of 180 Gr 300 RUM's. Hmmmmmm.

Jeff

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Fred -

PM sent back.

JK

11. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The barrel I have has the factory brake on it so it needs no porting. The kicker was that I needed a barrel manufactured prior to the lawyers getting ahold of the gun. Savage changed the receivers of the ultra mags and short fat mags after a limited production run on the old receiver. They never had a recall on the first run so that tells me there was never a safety issue. My best guesstimation is that they wanted to insure they were not somehow liable for any problems that might occur from a bad handload so they beefed up the receiver and barrel shank area. By having the gun built on the smaller shank receiver, it allws the barrels to be swapped with just some simple tools and like AverageEd said above, you can literally do it at the range if you know what you are doing and are set up for it. It is not for everyone but it allows the shooter the opportunity to own several different caliber firearms without your wife knowing about it! Barrels take up a whole lot less space than stocked and barreled actions and look very inconspicuous by themselves. Savages are to the rifle world as the Remington 870's is to the trap world. They are work horses. They are often not pretty but the proof is at the target.

Jeff

12. AveragEd

I wanted to give you a lead on finding a tool to borrow but kept getting off-topic. You might try the link to the discussion site above - it's much like trapshooters.com but for rifles. There are a couple of very knowedgable guys on there who might be able to help you out.

Ed

13. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

http://www.savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

They will be able to help you.

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Already have the request in at Savage Shooters. Have for over a week. Thanks anyway.

JK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.