1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to be educated on assault rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Saddletramp, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saddletramp

Saddletramp TS Member

I have been a trapshooter since 1966 and to be honest I have little interest in assault rifles. My son is anxious to acquire one but neither he, nor I, have a clue as to what to purchase. Some of you have vast experience in this field and I would appreciate some input in the matter. Is there a best assault rifle? Considering availability of ammunition (quantity and price) - what caliber would you recommend? My best question is just to give me some information that will aid in making a decision on this acquisition.

Saddletramp

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'd start by looking at all the AR-15 variants out there. Military ammo, and a huge custom parts selection.

3. andybull

andybull Active Member

Take a look at LWRC, DPMS, Noveske, Knight Arms SR-25, POF. I personally like the .308 platforms, but the .223 can be had for less and ammo is cheaper. There are piston driven guns and gas driven, one is supposed to be more accurate, the other gets less dirty, runs cooler and is more suppressor friendly.

Piston driven VS gas driven action:

http://www.armytimes.com/projects/flash/2007_02_20_carbine/

4. 100straight

100straight Member

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but since you asked to be educated, the first thing I would recommend is that you not use the "liberal media" term "assault rifle." A true assault rifle has fully automatic capabilities, which I assume you are not interested in. If so, you need to be on a class III forum, not here.

So, I think you are interested in a civilian sporting rifle of the AR-15/Black Rifle style. If that is correct the market is full of rifles of this design in many calibers. As has already been pointed out, the AR style in .223 has traditionally been the most economical to buy and shoot, due to the availability of ammo and commonality of the guns. Currently that is not necessarily the case due to ammo and gun shortages. I would talk to a knowledgeable gun shop where you can look at what you are buying. Tell us where you are located, and someone will give a recommendation concerning where to shop.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Start with using the correct terminology. An assault weapon is switchable from semi- to full auto, and back, such as the M-16. Full auto firearms were outlawed for civilian ownership, for better or worse, in 1934. You are not looking for an assault weapon. You are looking for a military pattern semi-auto. When you use the term assault weapon you are using a term that is mis-used and mis-represented by the enemies of the second ammendment.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Mark shoots faster than me.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Top quality AR15s in no particular order: Noveske, LMT, JP Enterprises and LaRue.

8. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Assault rifle is the term the media gun grabbers and politicians use to demonize the rifle instead of the perpetraitor.

If you really want to learn about what rifle to get, go see them in action. Find a local CMP match at a club, then go watch. Bring your hearing and eye protection. After the shoot's over, and before, talk to some of the guys about their rifles. You may see bolt guns, M1 Carbines, M1 Garands, M1a's, and other M14 variants, AR-15's and AR-15 variants, Uzi's, and others, like foreign rifles in a competition atmoshpere.

You might want to rethink your decision, as the cost of these rifles and the cost to use them is going up and up. Hard to know what's going to become of this nation with the democrats gaining total control, and making more and more government jobs. Pretty soon we all will work for the government and have to vote accordingly or lose our jobs. It's a no win situation. Maybe you'd be better off without another rifle. JMHO

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

AR-15 economical? Maybe to shoot, but not to buy, unless you guys know of deals I don't know about.

If you want a low-cost military pattern semi-auto, a milsurp SKS can be really cheap to get into, and 7.63x39 ammo is also pretty cheap.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here's my personal favorite....

Curt

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

If accruacy is important, the AR's. Easy to mount a scope on the flat tops.

If patterns are fine, the SKS and AK47.

Don Verna

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

What he's probably looking for is an AR-15 sporting rifle in 5.56 caliber (which will shoot NATO-spec 5.56 ammo as well as all common .223 Remington ammo.) After the November presidential election, much of the country has also decided like your son, that they want an AR-15. As a result, supply has all but dried up. Go to local gun shops with him, and ask their advice. He'll be looking at spending $1500, as prices have gone up 50%. He may be able to get his name on a waiting list, and get one in a few months. Colt, DPMS, Smith and Wesson, Rock River, etc, all will be fine. Colt is the most recognizable brand name, and as such a "Colt Sporter AR-15" will always be his best choice if available. Magazines are cheap at gun shows. His second choice would be an AK-47 or SKS-style sporting rifle in 7.62X39 caliber. The prices of these have doubled and tripled in recent months. They're way over-priced now. Phil E

13. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Assault is an action and since a gun can take no action without intervention there is no such thing as an assault weapon. I have a number of military style rifles who have never assaulted anyone.

14. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Very hard to find an AR-15 type gun in many stored these days

I would check gunbroker

.223 is more fun and cheaper

I like the 16 inch barrel

A very important decision is whether you get a handle or a flat top

Flat top gives you many more options for optics

Ergonomic Hogue grip and Ace skeleton stock are nice

Lefty shooters often need a gun with a shell deflector

If you get stove pipe ejection on a used gun use a stronger spring under the extractor and use the hat and donut you can get from Bushmaster

I never liked my Ruger Mini-30

Finally, reactionary hicks like you and your son (who are surely clinging to your guns and religion) should probably check into the nearest liberal jail on your way back from picking up your gun! (Only kidding)

Lou

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

l You said "best". Taking the caveats mentioned here into play, the best of that pattern is either a Steyr AUG or one of the H&K models.

Better have a fat walllet. These are about double the AR types.

HM

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

A Daisy Red Ryder could be an assualt rifle if you were cracked on the noggin with one

17. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Saddletramp-I see by the other posts that you were corrected on the term "assault rifle" so I don't have to.

I have an SKS. It's low priced and so is the ammo, 7.62X39. Your not going to win any target matches with one but it wasn't designed for that. It's fun to shoot and very reliable, it never jams no matter what ammo I feed it. I replaced the original stock with a Ramline synthetic. I prefer this set up over the AR style pistol grip rifles.

Joe

18. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

It is also a myth that civilians cannot purchase a full automatic firearm. The truth of the matter is that since 1934 the Treasury Department has been able to tax the ownership of full auto firearms, short barreled firearms and suppressors. The federal government also requires background checks to qualify for the $200 tax stamp.

If an individual purchases any of the above items they must also obtain a signature from the chief law enforcement officer (Sheriff) in the county that they live in vouching for their character. The individual may also obtain that signature from the chief of police or the district attorney as well.

Once all the paperwork is completed it takes BATFE about 4-6 weeks to process the paperwork and then the transfer can take place.

Please keep in mind that if you wish to cross state lines with your burp gun you must get written permission from BATFE before doing so.

One other note: in 1986 Pres. Bush, the senior, signed a bill that limited the number of transferable full auto guns in the United States. Therefore transferable guns are very expensive now because of limited supply and high demand.

Lastly it should be noted that any modification of a semi auto to make it fire more than once with a single pull of the trigger makes that firearm a full auto and it is illegal to possess said firearm.

Hope this helps.

Jack Burch

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's all you need to know.

"US to enforce law' banning assault weapons
    1 hr 40 mins ago

MEXICO CITY (AFP) – The Obama administration wants to crack down on the sale of assault weapons that are arming Mexican drug cartels, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in an interview with NBC television.

Clinton late Wednesday called letting a previous US ban on the sale of assault weapons expire "a mistake."

"I think these assault weapons, these military style weapons, don't belong on anyone's street," said Clinton who pushed for the ban as a New York senator.

"During the time period from 1994 to 2004, when the ban was in effect, our police in America were able to drive crime down because they didn't have to worry about these assault weapons getting into the hands of criminals and gang members," the chief US diplomat said.

"So we will make the case that we need to put more teeth in the law, try to prohibit the sale outside of our borders of these guns," Clinton said.

But, she acknowledged, a move to renew the ban would draw strong opposition.

"We're going to talk to the Congress, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. It's a very heavy lift," Clinton said.

On the plane to Mexico City, Clinton said drug gangs were "outgunning" Mexican law enforcement with military-style equipment that also included night-vision goggles and body armor.

Clinton is scheduled to visit a police station in Mexico City on Thursday as part of her consultations on the drug wars that have left 6,300 people dead in Mexico since 2008 and that are spilling over the border in the form of kidnappings and other violence.

She is due later to travel to the northern city of Monterrey, near the border with Texas.

During her first day on Wednesday, Clinton vowed that the United States would stand by Mexico in its fight against drug cartels and said the United States shared blame for the deadly unrest.

"The criminals and kingpins spreading violence are trying to corrode the foundations of law, order, friendship and trust between us and that support our continent," Clinton told a press conference.

"They will fail," added Clinton, standing next to her Mexican counterpart Patricia Espinosa.

"We will stand shoulder to shoulder with you," Clinton said after expressing confidence in Mexico's bid to root out official corruption and reform its legal institutions as part of the fight against the cartels.

After a private meeting with Clinton later Wednesday at the official Los Pinos residence, Calderon praised the "first steps in terms of co-responsibility between the two countries in the fight against organized crime," according to a statement from Calderon's office.

Analysts say the Obama strategy represents a break from the administration of George W. Bush, which offered to help Mexico fight the scourge even though it largely viewed it as a Mexican problem.

Clinton announced Washington was to give Mexico 80 million dollars to buy US-made Blackhawk helicopters to bolster its armory against drug-traffickers who control most of South America's multi-billion-dollar cocaine trade.

Officials said the funds are new."

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I don't know why they can't figure out we have a border problem. they don't want our guns and we don't want their drugs poisoning our children. We don't want their "guest workers".

Build the fence!

I always called AR style rifles carbines, Is this correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.