1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need tips on our trap house roof

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Glass balls, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Glass balls

Glass balls Member

Our trap house roof is in need of repair, I have been asked to investigate fixes as I have a large sheet metal fabrication shop. Has anyone out there used a sheet metal roof that has been coated flat black? Or any other suggestions?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Glass balls

Glass balls Member

3. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Have you thought about a sheet metal cap on your concrete roof? Maybe space it up with 2"x4"s so there is an air space between the sheet metal cap and the concrete roof. If the concrete is no worse for wear than what is shown in the pics then use a metal cap.

Pat

4. Glass balls

Glass balls Member

Your right Pat about the concrete being a bit worn out, I hadn't though of the 2Xs on there. From the pictures you can see a few spots where it has been shot (ups), I would think if it was made of 22ga metal or thicker it would be OK? I think I'll head out tomorrow and test some thicknesses of metal. Thanks Pat.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Here is what we did. We attached a steel plate across the back edge to protect the roof from pellets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Ring it with 2x6's, 2x4's across, metal roofing on that. Finish with OS corner material. This will take a glancing shot, no problem. Ours have been tested.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Sika makes a repair mortar that works well #'s 123 for the flat work and 223 for the vertical. I'm going by memory so you may want to check their site. I have a house roof to do soon, small section-nothing as severe as yours on a house that we poured in the early 70's. If we'd have used a better grade of concrete then we probably wouldn't have any issues today. I personally would repair what you have with the Sika products as they are good and will last if done properly. Good luck from an old cement head.

Edit: The other thing to consider at this point is the height from station 3. Is it where you want it to be as that may influence your final solution.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Sandblast, do what Bob suggests, and repaint. Although those metal roofs look nice.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'd rip that concrete roof off and do what Oregunner's club did.

So much easier to load and clean, and do machine maintenance. Wish all ours were like that.

Sorry "Cement Head Hawkes" I know you love crete!

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We did 5 houses with metal roofs. We took an all terrain fork lift and lifted off the old concrete roofs. It really is nice to lift up the lids and walk down the steps to get at the traps. I can even get the old guys to help load targets. Mark

11. TC1100

TC1100 TS Member

Glass Balls-
    Surely you have seen me shoot continental Annies over this exact roof? I am proud of the wear on that roof...LOL. We can't cover it with Sheet Metal. I will have holes all through it.

12. skeezix

skeezix Member

I think stl flyn and Bob Hawkes are right - sand blast or even pressure wash to get the old tar or paint off of it. If it isn't cracked or rotten through, then use a good patch - sika or Ardex. With Ardex you could pour a 1" top on it, re-paint it and you're good to go.

We had a couple that cracked through and were leaking. Measured the box up, called the local precast outfit and had a couple lids made up. lifted the old lids off, set on new lids. Painted them black, good as new.

ardex topping: http://www.ardexamericas.com/en-us/Products/engconrep/Pages/K301.aspx

13. Fhil Whiner

Fhil Whiner TS Member

If you add material to the top of the house, you may place it out of ATA spec.

I like Oregunners fix also.

14. himark

himark Well-Known Member

3200 fix looks nice quick and very reasonable.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I guess the Setterman must be getting too old to squeeze into the traphouse as I have to on occasion. He'd better get chasing the dog this fall soon;)

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

New pup Bob! English Setter. "Grace". Don't worry, I'll get my workout.

17. Glass balls

Glass balls Member

Thanks everyone for your input, there is a lot of great information to ponder and present to the rest of the boys at the club. We didn't want to "re-invent the wheel" and it is awesome to checkout what other people have done or products others have used with success.
    Cheers

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our roofs, (outside Chi-town) aren't anywhere near that bad... a few years back, when we had a cracked roof that began to leak (30yo traphouse roof), we used a single jack system to stabilize the roof slab, we blasted paint and used a rubberized-paintable caulking product, plus one of those cement paints that seals and repels water... with good success. We ended up doing all the houses.

Since we formally began offering community events (open houses) 15 years ago, the concrete hasn't seen the light (or weather exposure) of day... although once a year, one of the trapshouses typically serves as a patterning board (lol)

good luck on your restoration project,

Jay

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you have to work on the roofs anyway, the houses with pop up roofs is something to seriously consider.

Search tags for this page

precast concrete trap house

traphouse water leaking skeet