1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need the help of an 1100 whiz.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vatrap, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vatrap

vatrap Member

I bought a standard size 1100 20 ga. (not an LW 20) for a small frame shooter and for me to quail hunt with once in a while. It has not arrived yet so I have not actually seen it.

The original stock is average finish, nothing to right home about, but I'm going to have to cut it way down to fit the small shooter, about 13" with recoil pad attached.

I'm going to try and find a full size stock, wood or synthetic for me to use, and I'm not sure which stock and fore arm fit this model.

I have heard that the regular 12 gauge stock and fore arm will fit since it was made on the 12 gauge frame, others have told me that only the 20 gauge set will fit correctly.

Two questions;

1. How far can I safely cut the stock down and it still function correctly?

2. Which 1100 stocks and fore arms actually fit the 20 gauge standard frame?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had a steel-receiver 20-gauge 1100 cut down for my son when he was nine years old. I don't know what the final LOP was but the recoil tube had to be shortened an inch or so to get the stock short enough. Then we just went from a rubber butt pad through various thicknesses of recoil pads until he outgrew it. As shell catchers for 12-gauge guns will work on those 20-gauge guns, I'm guessing the stocks might interchange as well.

Incidentally, that gun might be available. I sold it to a young father whose two children now are both well beyond the youth gun age, so he might agree to sell it. It has a 28" vent rib barrel with a fixed full choke. The father is a gun shop owner who takes good care of his guns and taught his kids to do likewise, so it won't be beat up.

Ed

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If I recall, about 13.5" is about as short as you can get the LOP (including a 1" rubber pad) without altering the spring tube.

Maybe just a tad shorter.

And you might do a bit better if you use a 3/4" pad.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 12 guage butt stock will fit the 20 guage that is built on the large frame. The 12 guage fore end will also fit, but there will a space around the 20 guage barrel which is thiner than the 12 guage barrel.

There is a good chance you will be able to shorten stock enough to still clear the end of the main spring tube and nut. You can use a thin recoil pad to make the LOP shorter. HMB

5. sim32

sim32 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a std 20 that's cut down. Mine is 12 3/4" w/o the pad. The nut is about 3/4" from the end of the stock so it looks like you should be able to get to the length you need. A 12ga. stock will fit the std. 20 fine.
    Great guns by the way.

6. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I own a 20mag on a full frame, and the Jack West stock for the 12 fits it fine, so I suppose that any 12 stock will fit? The forearm for the Jack West doesn't fit well because of the the difference in the magazine tube size of the two guns, it's sloppy and the 20 ga. magazine cap doesn't tighten down on the larger access hole in the forearm. It sounds like that won't be a problem since you are just cutting down the stock, the original forearm will stay with your gun.

I believe that you can cut the stock to just a little over 13 inches if you keep the recoil pad thin. Both Wenig and Boyd's have reasonable replacement pieces that would suit your needs.

IME,
    Kip

7. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Why don't you use the stock that is on the gun for yourself and buy a youth stock for the other person?????????Roger

8. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Any wood or synthetic stock/forearm set for a 12 gauge 1100 or 11-87 will fit right on to your gun. JM

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Kip has a good point. Wenig has a new american trap model for youth/ladies. It has a shorter grip to trigger length than the factory comb. I got one for my wife for a browning gold. Standard grade walnut, cut and finish yourself, stain to match forend best as possible. They will most likely out grow it quickly, and if they really catch the bug they will want a "real trap gun" soon enough. <a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0040-2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. vatrap

vatrap Member

It's for a small framed woman, so it's unlikely that she will get any bigger (hopefully not anyway :).

I'll probably end up buying the wenig ladies stock this spring sometime if she stays with it.

As in all things, time is of the essence. We are shooting sporting clays on Sunday and the gun should get here Thursday or Friday, so I will just have time to give it a good cleaning and cut the original stock down and fit a recoil pad by then. Later we will go to our local club for a proper fitting and patterning session. I suspect the wenig stock will be on before much longer.

Thanks for the responses,
    Mike

11. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

Mike,

Give BD Wood a call. He has a 20 gauge 1100 which he bird hunts with and recently installed a Weing full size stock. He could probably answer your 12/20 gauge stock question.

Also, we have cut down several 12 gauge 1100/1187 stocks for the younger kids on our SCTP team. From memory I believe we got LOP down to 12 1/2 inches. The recoil spring tube nut will be close to the pad. Those guns have been used for two years with no problems. FYI, they were used by the 10-11 yr. old girls at Winchester.
    Happy shooting this weekend.

Jay

12. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

If it's a standard 20, then the 12 forearm will fit. As far as cutting down the stock, you can cut it as short as the recoil spring tube will allow. Not sure you can get 13, but pretty close. You can buy a youth stock and save yourself the trouble of having to cut the original. They come as short as possible. With the standard 20, you might - not sure - but might be able to use a standard 12 youth stock as well. Regardless, an aftermarket youth stock can be had at a very reasonable price.

Joe

13. vatrap

vatrap Member

I ordered the outers cadet model stock from Brownells this morning, should be here in a couple of days. We'll start with that until the weather warms up and we stop shooting in winter clothing.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content

outers cadet stock 1100