1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Super M1 90 help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

A recently deceased friend left me a Benelli M1 Super 90 riot type shotgun because he knew I was interested in 3-gun shooting. It is virtually new. I shot my first ever 3-gun match with it and it was fantastic, but suddenly the gun stopped running. It is refusing to release cartridges from the magazine. This is my first ever automatic and the nomenclature on the parts is unfamiliar to me. Can anyone hazard a guess why the gun would suddenly refuse to drop shells out of the mag? I have a good exploded diagram. The bolt lock works fine. I disassembled cleaned and oiled everything but same results. Awesome shotgun if I can get it running again.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

3. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Do you mean it will not eject fired shells? If that is the case I know mine will not function with low powered rounds. I had to mill weight of the bolt (not easy to do) to get mine to function reliably with 1200 fps buckshot. It is built for heavy 3 inch buck.

CM

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

No, I mean it won't feed rounds from the magazine to the chamber, either manually or when firing the gun. It quit feeding from the magazine while I was shooting in an event and nothing I do makes any difference.

5. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Check the lever piece that comes up and holds the next round in the tube while the one in the chamber is ready for fire, it could be jammed or bent. I never had that problem but it must have something to do with the keeper that is not allowing it to release the next round when the bolt goes back and hits the back of the lever. You should be able to manually push it down out of the way. That is how I sometimes clear the tube by holding it down with my finger.

Take the bolt out and see if the piece pivots freely. It should be obvious to see if you take out the bolt. Hope this helps.

CM

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I know absolutely nothing about this gun but does it have a "shell feed cutoff" feature that may have been flipped on. Like on a Browning A5?

7. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Nope.......his problem has to be a little damage to the linkage arm or an obstruction. I have in the past have had one lead shot jammed in the wrong place keeping the arm from moving.

CM

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The shell stop swivels fine when the bolt is removed and I move it by hand, so whatever the mechanism is that moves it, I assume something on the bolt, isn't doing it. The manual on the Benelli site is very difficult to understand, the use of language and nomenclature is like whoever wrote it, English wasn't their first language. I might have enough insight now to at least have some idea where to look.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, it is clear, I think, that the shell stop is not able to fully disengage because it is rubbing on something. It disengages but stops short of FULL disengagement. Now I gotta figure out what it's hitting. My suspicion is a few thousandths off the rear of the shell stop would effect the necessary clearance. There may be a burr on it I can't see. Next stop is removal of the shell stop for close examination. Thanks for all your ideas, thanks for the offer Setter, I think (hope) I can handle it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.