1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions regarding a return

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Hello All- Never had anything like this happen before, so I'd like some input.

A couple weeks ago, I order a custom .22LR barrel for a gun I was building. Unfortunately, between the time I ordered and the time I rec'd it, the gun broke, and I didn't have the ambition to fix it.

I called the company, and asked them what the process would be to return it (unfortunately I was a couple hours late of catching them before they shipped it). I was told that the shipping was non-refundable (which I expected and was fine with) and that 3% for the credit card charge, and an additional 3% for the credit card refund (I don't believe companies are charged a fee for issuing a REFUND) would be deducted from my total (leaving me with a theoretical total of $186.30).

I wasn't real happy that I would loose $11.70 for fees (there is nothing on their website expressing any sort of return or restocking fee, nor was one explained to me when I ordered by phone). I also believe he was sticking me for the 3% for the refund, as I have never heard of a CC company charging a fee for a refund.

Anyways, I get the barrel in. I read the receipt, which now states that there is a 10% restocking fee, again, there is nothing on their website expressing any sort of return or restocking fee, nor was one explained to me when I ordered by phone (I typically avoid companies that charge a restocking fee).

At this point, I'm a little peeved, but I had no luck trying to sell the barrel, so I was stuck with sitting on it, or eating the fee and getting back what I can.

So last week I shipped the barrel back via fedex. It was received on Friday the 16th @ 11:38am local time, signed for by the company owner/president.

I get a call this morning at 10:40am, stating that one of the caps (rigid cardboard mailing tubes) had come off in transit, and the barrel had fallen on the ground, damaging it beyond repair. I was told a claim was filed with fedex, and that the barrel was to be picked up by their driver tomorrow pursuant to the insurance claim. I shipped this back to them in the exact same manner in which they shipped it to me, and would be amazed if it came off on its own.

After I thought about it, I can't figure out why it took them 3 days to call me after they noticed the damage (the owner must have noticed something was wrong when he signed for the package and it was missing an end cap). You would think in a situation like this, I would have been called immediately after the package was delivered and signed for advising me of the issue.

I'm kinda wondering now if either, A. The owner opened the package, dropped the barrel on the floor himself by accident, and doesn't want to eat the loss and is hoping fedex will cover it, or B. The owner dropped the barrel on purpose so he wouldn't have to refund me, and is hoping fedex will cover it.

Way too much iffy stuff involved in this transaction which has my spidey sense tingling LOL.

Assuming Fedex doesn't make this right, I guess my next option is to file a CC dispute based on what was written above, but I've only ever had to do that once or twice for fraudulent charges, never to get money back.

I am looking for advise on how I should proceed if the fedex claim doesn't come out in my favor.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight!

You order a barrel for a project gun, but wreck it ... now you don't need the barrel, so you expect them to take it back ............ at a loss?

Did you ever think that people who are in business need to make a profit, not take a loss?

When I was in business, I fired customers like you!

3. skeet_man

If there is a return policy in place that dictates the customer gets back less than he paid, than that needs to be expressed before the sale is made and the payment is accepted, either on the website (which in this instance does accept web orders) or over the phone when an order is placed. It is not fair or right for a company to change or add terms to a sale after payment has been accepted. There is also such a thing as good will. One of the other companies that i purchased parts from for this rifle took them back no questions asked, for a COMPLETE refund (including shipping charges). Chances are if I ever resurrect this project, I will not be ordering another barrel from them, and will not be recommending anyone to them either, based on my experiences thus far.

My biggest concern at this point is not the restocking fee (that was kind of ancillary to my post, and was only added to illustrate the trail of strange practices I've experienced), it is getting ANY of my money back, due to the supposed "in transit" damage.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

skeet, I'm unaware that any merchant is required to refund any money for any valid transaction.

sometimes, it's just best to be thankful.

How's a 25% RESTOCKING FEE sound....

take it, or leave it...

5. skeet_man

Again, I have no issue with a restocking fee IF its expressed before you complete a transaction.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't see why they need to have stated it ahead of time. They don't have to take it back period. They may normally have a no return policy. Maybe they are doing you a favor. They could decide today it's a 50% restocking fee and that's what you would have to do. We dealt with this all the time when my dad had his business. They could say you bought it, you keep.

Just my take on it.

7. skeet_man

Well, the direction of this thread and some of the responses have prompted me to do some more research.

NY state law dictates that a restocking/return fee CANNOT be charged unless it is disclosed before the sale was made.

I am researching if the same law applies in the state where the mfg is located, but I would have to guess that most states have laws to the same effect, and there may also be federal consumer protection laws that have the same effect.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

BBB good luck.

9. grntitan

I'm just amazed you would make a beef over $11 and some change over a product you ordered and they delivered as ordered. Now you decide you want to return it and want them to bend over backwards to accomidate you becuase you changed your mind. To each his own i guess. I wish you luck. I think you'll end up spending far more time and money than the $11 trying to fight it.

10. skeet_man

Grn- Once again, I'm really not worried about the restocking fees, they are just a contributing factor in this whole debacle. I had pretty much written them off, and would have forgotten the whole thing if the damage issue hadn't been brought up.

At this point, I probably won't be out anything assuming Fedex agrees to the shipping damage and pays the insured amount.

I'm just trying to cover all my bases at this point.

11. grntitan

Hopefully Fed Ex will come thru. Never had to deal with their insurance policies.

Good Luck

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The barrel is dropped on the ground and it is damaged beyond repair. Hard to believe that one. HMB

13. skeet_man

That's what I was told verbatim, so in other words, if fedex doesn't pay, I'm stuck with a broken barrel and no $

14. lwr_

lwr_ Member

My experience with FEDEX is that they never, ever, ever pay the insurance claim. Your experience may vary.

15. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Can we have the name of this business so we know not to give them any business? I'd appreciate it

16. skeet_man

I've had good luck with the claims I've filed (a couple reloaders damaged in transit where it was OBVIOUS who caused the damage), but I was the one to file, and provided copious amounts of information, pictures, evidence of damage, evidence of value, ect. I went above and beyond, and probably showed more diligence than 95% of people who file.

In this case, the fellow took it upon himself to file the claim (which I wasn't aware of until today that the claim could be filed by anyone BUT the sender, maybe they changed their rules), so I doubt there's much I can do at this point until a determination is made.

I also find it suspicious that he went ahead and filed the claim on his own, before consulting me on what I wanted to do.

17. skeet_man

Rhett- In the interest of an amenable resolution, I'm not disclosing the name at this time. Should I not receive satisfaction, I will absolutely post it.

18. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Ok, i can see why you would want to do that. I wasn't trying to get into business bashing or anything like that. I hope it works out well for you. As to the returns I had to return a product to Gamaliel and MidwayUSA. Gamaliel was their own mistake because they sent me the wrong part. Midway I ordered the wrong thing. They didn't charge me a restocking fee. I know some places charge one but they say it plainly when you agree to the terms and conditions of the sale. It just sounds like the owner screwed up and wants someone else to pay for it. I hope it works out well for you in the end.

19. skeet_man

The intrigue continues.

I called Fedex about an hour ago, to make sure that a claim had actually been started, and to get a claim number, and a rough idea of how long it would take to resolve.

When I was speaking to the lady, she told me that the damage was described as the "package was flattened" (it was either that, or the "barrel was flattened", I can't quite recall, but it was definitely one of the two). However, when I spoke to the owner this morning, he told me that one of the end caps was missing, and that the barrel had slid out the open hole and struck the ground on the chamber end at some point in transit, and that newspaper (which was in there when I shipped), and plastic (which was not) was stuck in the end. He also accused/suggested that I returned the barrel without the end cap in place (which was taped on VERY securely with a lot of tape, again, shipped back EXACTLY as it was shipped to me, or possibly slightly better as I used more tape than he did originally).

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Noting that the barrel was "custom", I'm surprised that they took a return... the company might actually luck out if FedEx pays beacuse they keep their dough in hand and don't have to re-stock something someone may or may not ever order again...

Good luck regardless,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.