1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions on a reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OhioGal, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I am looking at reloaders, and I would like some input from the people that use them the most, us trapshooters!...

I think I would like to go with an MEC; was considering the 9000 with the automate. I don't know anybody that has one or where I can see one in operation. So I would like to know, can you stop the process and check your powder loads, then start them back up again.

As everybody has an opinion, I was told go hydraulic, and I don't think I am ready for that step. I am getting this to help relief some existing pain in my shoulder and elbow, I reload on a single stage Lee Load All. So give me some good pointers...and some bad, I know MEC seems to have a good name and I see them at the shoots to help refurb and all.

Will everything come to get this set up started or will I need to be buying extra things? Thanks in advance

Deb

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

buy a spolar without hydraulics. That is my next one

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Deb..... Mec is a great choice. The Automate is very easy to control, and you can stop it at any time. I, personally, have the hydraulic unit, and am very pleased with it. I wouldn't go to an automate if I had my choice mainly because I'm more familiar, and comfortable, loading with the hydraulic. Either unit is very easy to master, so don't worry about that. As for what comes with the loader, you usually get a bar and a bushing of your choice to get started with. Depending on where you buy it, some vendors will throw in an extra bushing or two. The extras you will probably end up buying sooner or later will be an electronic scale to weigh your loads (you should have this on hand BEFORE you get your loader, and know how to use it), a universal charge bar so you can eliminate all the powder bushings and shot bars, maybe a funnel or two for your shot and powder, perhaps a powder baffle, and a few odds and ends. After that, you're ready to load'em up.... Have fun, and enjoy your new loader... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Deb,

A 9000 is a very user friendly loader that is forgiving. The Mec people can talk you through most any issue you may come upon. Just make sure to clean up spills completely, especially if shot is involved, before starting back into the run.

I have used both the Automate and the hydraulic, and I prefer the Automate as it is much quieter. It is a little slower though, but not by much.

The other thing you might consider is where do you reload. If your reloading room is inside the house, get the Automate. If it is out in the garage then that point is mute.

I am one of those that doesn't care for the universal charge bar. It doesn't take but a minute to change powder bushings. You'll get less sheared shot by using the factory charge bars.

ss

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Deb, I know several reloaders that have switched to the Auto-mate. Biggest reasons are, more consistant cycling and drops, more consistant pressure for wad and sealing shells (not always the same with Hydro, so I have been told). Same pressure every time. Also so much more quiet and no chance for oil leaks, may be a biggest reason right there. When a Hydro's oil line goes, it may be small or it may be very big (oil everywhere). Now if you buy the 9000E unit it has the Auto-mate with the reloader already. There should be no need to buy any linkages or parts, but do check with the seller. They run in the $900 range new. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Been reloading with the Mec and AutoMate for over 4 years.

It really quiet and an easy loader to use.

Would I buy another one..............In a New York minute!

Hauxfan!

7. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

Nobody mentioned a good Shop Vac. to go along with loader. lol

8. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Thanks everybody so far...I sort of felt the slower than Hydr. was the way to go,because of noise and oil as it will be inside. 9000E, I was seeing it for about $895. with free shipping. So I thought that might be a good deal as I am pretty sure these guys are not the lightest things. So since I use 1 ounce loads vs 1 1/8 which was what it said was included I would need a new charge bar?

PS I do check my powder loads and have a small electronic scale I use now.

Thanks again Lets hear some more

Deb

9. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

MD is that shop vac make the shells kick out faster??? I am just kidding!!

10. front242

front242 Member

Saw somewhere recently, Maybe Connie's Components in Wa., that had free shipping on the Mec 9000's and they include the 7/8, 1oz, and 1 1/8oz bars.

Might look in to that one.

Tim
    F²4²

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

If you cant find the deal Front242 mentioned just tell whoever your buying it from to swap the 1 1/8 for the 1 oz bar. If they wont do that then shop somewhere else. Me... I have both bars and I am glad I do.

Mark

p.s. Forget the universal bar...IMO its nothing but a pain in the rear to say the least.

12. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Spolar! Once and done!

13. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

How about an RCBS Grand? Or, dare I say it, a P/W 800+? I loaded on a MEC for a few years, then switched to a P/W because I disliked the quality of manufacturing on the MEC's. I still use a 600 Jr. for any load development that I need to do, but I'd never go back to loading all of my shells on a MEC progressive.<BR>

People who have problems understanding basic mechanisms will tell you that P/W customer service is terrible...I personally wouldn't know about that as I've been able to fix the few simple problems that I've come across on my 800B, and have been able to get parts from our local Whiz White.<BR>

Good Luck in the adventure. Josh

14. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

You did not give your budget and that is fine - it is not my business. If you have more money, my opinion is for the PW 800+. The electric drive is always available and you can also get the shell feeder. They have a much larger shot capacity as well as primer capacity.

Lets talk about the numbers. The MEC with auto mate goes for about 900 bucks plus a few more for the shot and powder stabilizer. the PW with electric drive and shell feeder is about 2 grand - $1,600 without the shell feeder.

So is it worth the extra 700 bucks? Lets talk about performance. MEC has a small shot capacity. MEC needs help with primer feeding, you can't change gauges, they leak powder, the shells wiggle around and frequently the wad obturating cup will hang up on the edge of the shell and now the mess begins, the shot and powder bottles are not supported very well and that extra movement can affect the load.

If you can afford it - I would buy a non-stamped parts loader. I own 2 MECS and I do not not hate them - they do load shells. I just would not advise anyone to do that if there is a little more money available.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I have two MEC 9000Hs and 1 20 ga. grabber and a sizemaster thats used for heavy hunting loads. My hydraulics are quiet operating and I can stop the loading process by lifting my foot if needed which is hardly ever! I have both hands full of wads and hulls and it makes the loading process very easy. No matter which system used, mount it down to a sturdy bench securely, makes for more consistent loads.

Hap

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I threw on the body armor... I'm a Hornady guy... and my machines are the Apex 3.0 and 3.1s.

With their discontinuance, I'm not sure where to go, but let me tell you what I'd be looking for in my next tool... auto detection for primer, powder and shot drops - my Hornadys have all these and I wouldn't have a another loader without any one of those. I wish I had a hull dispenser similar to the Dillon, but its not a deal breaker.

Look for loaders where you can remove shells from any station easily for inspection - nothing like missing a primer and watching a trail of powder follow the shell around the platen.

Hope that gives you some food for thought!

Jay

17. fishguts

fishguts Member

MHO is that the lady should go with the MEC Auto-Mate. In my experience most shooters who reload have or have used MEC's. It will be much easier to get help with a MEC than some of the others. Some of the people you shoot with must reload. Isn't there anyone who is willing to help a lady out?

Wayne

18. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Buy a P/W Platinum 2000 and the Auto Drive. The $1600 is money well spent. Every bit as good as a Spolar and half the price.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

19. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have a P/W 800+ with electric drive and auto case feeder and I can't believe how well it loads. Everything is spot on every time I load. I couldn't be happier with my set up. For the money there isn't one better or faster.

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I load with an 8567 grabber and an Automate. I love it. One does need a certain amount of mechanical aptitude to be successful reloading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

20 ga grabber connies

mec 410 shotgun reloader powder gums charge bar

merc 9000 progressive loader