1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some Rifled Slug advise

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by CalvinMD, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I need some Rifled slug advise,..I was given a smoothbore slug barrel for my Browning BPS and am wondering if y'all have some recommendations of what you've found that shoots well under the same circumstances,,,try to keep in mind I'm cheap too!

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

cal,

By smoothbore, I would assume that there's no choke tubes either. Here in upstate NY, slugs are all that we can use on deer, besides muzzle loader and handguns, during firearms season. In my 870 I always used the Remington Sluggers. They're cheap, and have killed deer for many, many years. I bought an 1187 special purpose with the fully rifled barrel and rifle sights about 10 yrs. ago. Don't know why. Any deer that I've taken in that 10 yrs. was shot inside 100 yds. An 870 with sluggers will do that too. But anyway, Winchester and Federal also make regular rifled slugs also. so does Brenneke, but I never had any luck with them. I always thought that they kicked the snot out of you also. Slug barrels are just like our trap barrels in the fact that some will like or dislike certain ammo. Just don't waste your money on anything with a sabot. You don't have the barrel for it. The slugs you need should only cost a few dollars a box. Try them all! I wouldn't bother with 3" either. Unless your so bored with trapshooting that you figure a flinch would put some challenge back into it.

Brett D.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I was surprised when cheap Remington 2-3/4" Sluggers cut a sub-3" 5-shot group at 100 yards from my 1187 rifle sighted barrel (3" chamber) with a mod choke tube. Cripes, that's as good as some 30-30's, and better than most.<br>
    <br>
    Interestingly, I have never gotten good groups with cylinder or improved cylinder barrels. Full chokes do well too, especially fixed fulls with long leades.<br>
    <br>
    One nice thing about using a slug gun.... You can put birdshot in the chamber to pop grouse while deer hunting. It doesn't take much to dump it out and stoke a slug into the chamber, especially with a pump. Just be aware that if you do this, it makes it bird hunting and in some states you have to plug the mag to two rounds for upland. Still, in good grouse country, it's worth it. Same goes for squirrel country, though the mag tube restriction usually doesn't apply.

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

C.T.

yes, I'm very familiar with what zones are rifle and which ones are not. I've hunted all over NY. Actually, most of the southern tier is rifle now too. I live in 8G, and alot of my deer hunting is done in 8H. I didn't think I would have to be that specific, as Cal doesn't live in NY. Also, I went to college in Utica, and if you've ever been around people from NYC, they refer to any place that isn't the city as, upstate.

I also hunt deer in Maine and Vermont quite often. Both states are rifle, but depending on the area I'll be hunting, will sometimes carry the shotgun. My wife is from Vermont, and my father in law is a deer hunting fanatic. He always kind of had the opinion that slugs were inferior to rifles. He hunted with us in NY a couple of years ago and we sent a nice doe by him on a drive. He became a beleiver in slugs when he shot her and she was dead before she hit the ground. Obviously slugs can't hold a candle to rifles at longer distances, but 125 yds. and under they do the job quite nicely.

Brett D.

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

You need to do a little research. Remington slugs are smaller diameter than either federal or winchester. They will bounce around coming out of the bore on Improved cylender. I did not ever try them in a tighter choke and it stands to reason they would do alright in a tighter choke, but they will not group in a more open choke. I cut the shells apart and the remington foster type slug wobbles coming out the bore on anything more open than modified. The winchester and federal slugs fit the bore on my remington deer barrel and they shoot pretty good in it. The remingtons do not even consistantly hit the paper at 75 yards with the I cyl choke.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

BRI sabot, 11-87 smoothbore. Can hit a coffee cup at 95 yards.

Your results may vary.

HM

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hey Brian,

I always used a CO2 air pistol that I put into my daypack for the "extra" hunting. Doesn't make near as much noise and is a little more challenging. Have you ever tried to "head shoot" a grouse at 20yds with an air pistol? It is great sport, you should try it some time!

ec90t

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Aren't Federal 'Tru-balls' (made by polywad?) the hot thing for smoothbores?

9. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

mrskeet410 has the answer. The Federal "Tru-ball" in a smoth bore will approach the accuracy of sabots in a rifled bore.............Roger

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

hadn't heard of the tru-ball until now. is this new?

11. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

For me, Sluggers through a modified choke work great. I've killed a bunch of deer with that combo.

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

i'm not looking to get into a pissing contest, but a few years back, sluggers were resized larger.

brett d.

13. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

With a smooth bore shoot the cheap winchester slugs, they have a ring or gas ring of lead at the base of the slug that will seal in the smooth bore barrel and give you reasonable accuracy.

Rifled barrels are like any other gun one will shoot one slug better then another, so you need to get allot of different kinds and see what it likes.

Here in Ohio slugs are all we can use for deer.

Bill

14. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Nope, I think that's a V-MAX..........75g???????Roger

15. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

CalvinMD,

Ever think about loading a round ball? They are super accurate and easy to load.

ol 12

16. CalvinMD

I thouht I saw somewhere about a special slug mold that the slug produced is meant to slip into a 1 1/8 wad and loaded as normal as shot

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

SABOT!

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>ect90t, quote: "I always used a CO2 air pistol that I put into my daypack for the "extra" hunting. Doesn't make near as much noise and is a little more challenging. Have you ever tried to "head shoot" a grouse at 20yds with an air pistol? It is great sport, you should try it some time!"</i><br>
    <br>
    In Oregon, "It is prohibited to hunt game birds or crows: With rifles or handguns. EXCEPTION: Forest grouse can be hunted with any rimfire rifle."<br>
    <br>
    For many years it was shotgun only for grouse. Then a lot of hunters asked to make it legal with any firearm because of deer season. Most hunters only carry a deer rifle. So the law was changed to allow any firearm. Apparently the idea of some hunters shooting up into trees with a .30-06 gave concerns over safety. So they throttled it back to rimfire. I'm not sure if it was at the same time that they made it rimfire rifle, but you could use handguns for a while. I carried a .22 target pistol for grouse for a while. A pellet gun is not a rimfire, so it would not be allowed.<br>
    <br>
    <i>Tripod, quote: "You need to do a little research. Remington slugs are smaller diameter than either federal or winchester. They will bounce around coming out of the bore on Improved cylender. I did not ever try them in a tighter choke and it stands to reason they would do alright in a tighter choke, but they will not group in a more open choke. I cut the shells apart and the remington foster type slug wobbles coming out the bore on anything more open than modified. The winchester and federal slugs fit the bore on my remington deer barrel and they shoot pretty good in it. The remingtons do not even consistantly hit the paper at 75 yards with the I cyl choke."</i><br>
    <br>
    Sluggers are supposed to be cast dead soft, so they they expand in the bore. Based on results, if they are expanding, they aren't doing it as much as they should. Like I said, I could never get them to group out of cylinder or IC choked barrels. But Mod and full they worked quite well. Doesn't surprise me that they're a little smaller in diameter. Remington may have deliberately done this because they clearly state these slugs can be shot in "any choke". (I wrote them and asked if that statement included turkey chokes, but never got a reply.)<br>
    <br>
    mrskeet410 and Roger speak of Federal Tru-Balls. Roger says, quote: <i>"The Federal "Tru-ball" in a smoth bore will approach the accuracy of sabots in a rifled bore."</i><br>
    <br>
    I haven't been able to find any in my area yet, nor the new Remington Buckhammer slugs.<br>
    <br>
    I can tell you this - the Remington Copper Plus solid copper sabot slugs WILL NOT work with a rifled choke tube, despite what the ammo box says. I tried it, and the sabots were stripping the rifling. They're simply going too fast when they hit the rifled choke tube, strip across the rifling, and thus won't turn. The result was a six inch group at 100 yards with the slugs clearly keyholing in it. (Impressive looking keyholes too.) These slugs have to be shot from a fully rifled bore.<br>
    <br>
    CalvinMD, quote: "I thouht I saw somewhere about a special slug mold that the slug produced is meant to slip into a 1 1/8 wad and loaded as normal as shot."<br>
    <br>
    The one I'm familiar with is the Buckbuster, but that company is defunct now. Sabot Specialities made a universal sabot that would accept various projectiles. I don't know if they're still available.<br>
    <br>
    A good book for those who want to get into slugs more is "Shotgunning for Deer" by Dave Henderson ISBN 0-88317-237-2. It was published in 2003 by Stoeger. Some things have changed since the book was written, like some ammunition has been dropped, companies have gone out of business, and new slugs have been marketed. But, it's avery good book for those who want to increase the accuracy of their slugs, or are considering a specific type of slug barrel.

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yes! Lee Precision make s a molds for 12 and 20 ga. slugs. Use a 1 oz wad and load them on your regular press! Simply susitute the slug for shot!

A 1 0z sluf at 1250 fps will feel just like your trap load anmd at around 1500 ft pounds energy....it is more than enough for a deer! Of course...if you use yor 'pot load' recipe...it will knock down anything on 2 or 4 feet!

20. CalvinMD

Thanks Ahab...I am going to check the Lee Catalog for molds. I picked up some Winchester and Federal slugs and found some old Brennekes in the basement

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.