1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some reloading help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by headly_lamar, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headly_lamar

headly_lamar TS Member

I just started reloading shotgun and need some help coming up with a recipe using the Unique powder I’ve stored over time for pistol. My son and I are shooting both an O/U and a Rem 1100. I’m using Remington STS 20ga hulls, Clay Buster wads, Win 209 primers, and 7/8 oz num 8 shot. Is anyone using this combination with Unique and how much powder are you throwing? How well does it shoot? Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you go to:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Index.htm

you will find the proper loads for that powder.

3. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Hi Dave. Assuming you want a basic 1200 FPS skeet/target load, here is a link for about what you described, BUT it's calling for the Remington STS Premier primer: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?title=Shotshell&shotype=&weight=0.875&weightdis=7%2f8&shellid=379&gtypeid=3&gauge=20&lid=3109

Winchester primers are hotter and should NOT be substituted. The Remington primer will also seat better in that STS hull since the flange rim thickness is a tad less on the Remington primers and you will get a flusher seating with that primer. Other primers seem to stick out a bit, but will tend to "size" the primer pocket after firing.

When I used to load the 20 gauge STS hull, I had very nice results using the Remington primer, either the Orange Duster or the Claybuster 1078-20 wad, and 14 grains of Hodgdon's International Clays powder with 7/8 oz. This gives a nice clean burning load, and you only have to drop 14 grains compared to 16 or more with Unique.

Hope this helps.......Rick

4. headly_lamar

headly_lamar TS Member

Thanks Rick! I tried a few Win 209 primers in the STS hulls and I found exactly what you said, the Win 209 primers didn't seat as well as I thought they should. I've loaded a lot of pistol and never had that problem. I'll get some Rem primers and give it a try.

Also, the powder you mentioned, can it be used with 12 ga as well.

Dave

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Dave, yes it can. If you go to the website above and click on "data center" then click on "I agree" then "Shotshell Loads", you can bring up all kinds of loads for the 12 gauge with Int'l Clays powder. That powder is a bit slower burning than regular Clays and better suited to 1-1/8 loads and fast 1 oz. loads in 12 gauge. .....Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.